Sign in to follow this  
Porsche356ss

Dakar Truck based on a cc01 chassis

Just wondering if anyone has completed a Dakar Truck using a Bruder Cab build on a Tamiya cc01 chassis (old Volkswagen Touareg Kit). I'm hoping I can build the chassis as normal but wondering about wheel size and how to mount the cab to the chassis. I've built kits before but this is the first time attempting a "custom" build so would appreciate any assistance.

It's not a job I've done myself but have seen some very nice examples over the years.  Still got this on my background list for something to do one day.  Bruder cabs are about the right size, cheap and readily available, but some people scratch-build or 3D print Kamaz bodies also.

As for custom fitting - read as many threads as you can find but don't be afraid to get stuck in and start trying things, there's no wrong way to do a custom body fit, some ways might be stronger or better looking than others.  The CC01 is a brilliant platform for this sort of build, stock wheel size should be fine, stock tyres are OK for hard surfaces if you don't want too much grip.  If you wanted to tackle rocks or mud crawler-style then you might want a more crawler-oriented tyre but if you want to drive faster (scale rally speeds) you'll tip over a lot with grippy tyres, so the harder stock tyres might give a more realistic driving experience :)