B.RAD

Help to find a charger please

Hi there

I've done a search on the forum and Google, but am struggling to find what I'm after, so really hope you can help!

I've just bought a Traxxas Stampede assembly kit to go alongside my Mad Bull and M06 MX5 kits. I want to run lipo on the Stampede, but am really happy with NiMH on the Tamiya kits.

The Traxxas comes with an ESC which has their proprietary "iD" connections. The Tamiya kits all run the standard TBLE-02S ESC with the Tamiya plugs.  So what I'm after is a charger with connections to suit both the Traxxas iD plug and the Tamiya plug, that can charge, storage charge and discharge lipo safely as well as NiMH. I don't want to spend a stupid amount of money if possible, I'm hoping around £50 will suffice. Can anyone recommend something that would cover these needs please?

Also a good source for a 2s lipo battery for the Traxxas with the iD connection if possible!

Thanks so much.

I would recommend the Core RC - UAC Charger at around £45 GBP, it does everything. The only thing I cant guarantee you is wether it has all the correct adapters so you may still have to buy one, though it does come with quite a few. I've been using it for over 5 years and its still working.

• Thanks 1

@Dirt-540 thanks so much for the reply. That does look to be a good unit. Would you happen to know where adaptors could be bought from? That would open up a lot of options! 

7 minutes ago, B.RAD said:

@Dirt-540 thanks so much for the reply. That does look to be a good unit. Would you happen to know where adaptors could be bought from? That would open up a lot of options! 

I would buy the charger first then see what you need as you might be buying adapters that you dont need as you get some with the charger. I get any adaptors I need from eBay, just make sure you buy from a UK seller or you coukd be waiting weeks. I pretty much use only deans connectors now as they are good for high current and power, I've changed all the plugs on all my kit bit by bit over the years to deans. If i buy an ESC I usually buy it from somewhere like Modelsport as they'll only charge you a couple of quid for fitting a plug of your choice. 

• Like 1

They sell a universal adaptor that is banana plugs to the charger and have 8-10 different plug connectors on it to connect with batteries. I'm not sure witch plug the traxxas has but you can look on line. They come in real handy. (Tamiya, Deans, Futaba, etc.) I don't have change hook almost ever. Look up battery charger connectors. If not what you want they are made all signally, or make your own. The universal one is not to costly either. Makes life easier.

Ebay, Amazon, Hobby stores, etc.

• Like 1

Thank you, much appreciated. Really appreciate the advice. I can fully understand that this a very 'noob' question and something most people wouldn't ask, but as it's all brand new to me I'd rather "buy right, buy once". I always find guidance from those more experienced to be the best.

As it stands, I've done a lot more research and made a purchase. Unfortunately the Core RC charger mentioned above, while ideal, I couldn't find in stock anywhere. So I've made a purchase at Modelsport (because I didn't want to risk an eBay purchase on this) of a Etronix Powerpal charger with a matching Traxxas charge lead. This should suit both NiMH and lipo batteries. Reviews looked ok and I couldn't unearth anything concerning about it. I've also bought a Traxxas iD lipo battery and a lipo storage/charge bag, so hopefully I'm all set now. 

You did your research and made the decision, perfect. You should be happy. I hate the bad purchases I've made in the past because you don't have the knowledge.

Lipo bag is a must. (just in case )Try to keep the lipo individual cells at 3.8V for storage. (that is about the magic number) They are stable and stay at that voltage for some time. 

Hope You enjoy your purchase.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Silver-Can said:

And just to add; always, always balance charge your lipos 👍.

Definitely good advice!!! Also dont charge over 4 amps otherwise you compromise the life span of the lipo. 

• Like 1