Hi all,

Picked up a used Overlander today, which will be used as a basher for my daughter as we take her Grasshopper out of service for a while to give it a bit of an overhaul.

I’d like to strip and rebuild the Overlander and maybe replace some parts in the process, plus put the Sport Tuned from her Grasshopper in it.

I appreciate the Overlander is an XB and therefore, cannot be bought as a kit to build from scratch, but I was wondering if a manual exists so I can take apart and rebuild with the help of some instruction.

I know the Overlander is a DT01 chassis, but looking at the manuals resource on this site, the only DT01 I can find is for the Mad Fighter and a quick glance at that doesn’t look very similar to what I have sat in front of me now.

Does a manual for the Overlander exist or is that not the case due to it being an XB? If not, is there a manual for a different vehicle that will closer represent the Overlander versus the Mad Fighter?

Thanks!

B16774E4-B2C2-41C3-90B4-9F66FE48575F.jpeg

• Like 2

Managed to find a post advising that it’s the same as the Blackfoot Extreme and/or WT01 - not sure where I got the DT01 ref from....

so, looks like I have a manual I can follow now.

• Like 1

Great chassis, strong, low maintenance  and easy to fix 👍.

You could go do a twin motor conversion- look up Twin Dagger 💥

A twin motor conversion might be a bit out of my talent level at the moment.

First port of call is a full bearing kit. Would like to put some CVA shocks on if anybody has any recommendations of straight replacements. Also, one of the tyres has a tear in it so any straight swap tyre recommendations also welcomed!

18 minutes ago, MonkeyDucky said:

A twin motor conversion might be a bit out of my talent level at the moment.

First port of call is a full bearing kit. Would like to put some CVA shocks on if anybody has any recommendations of straight replacements. Also, one of the tyres has a tear in it so any straight swap tyre recommendations also welcomed!

This is one of the simplest chassis to twinmotorify - basically, you just buy another gearbox and bolt it on the front in place of the bulkhead which holds the front suspension, add dogbones and drive axles, wire up the motor and you're done. If you compare the manuals for the WT-01 and WR-01, you'll see exactly what bits you need.

Mini CVA shocks are a great upgrade, but an even better one is tall shock towers and standard CVAs. I use these shock towers on mine:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GPM-Tamiya-Upgrade-Aluminium-Collars/dp/B07L88PG62/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=wild+dagger&qid=1614637148&sr=8-1

The monster pin spike tyres are the same as the ones used on the Monster Beetle, rear of the Farm King, etc. Here they are:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamiya-Monster-Pin-Spike-Tyres/dp/B07GSYWH3F/ref=sr_1_2?crid=VD7UJ28WGWAO&dchild=1&keywords=tamiya+monster+beetle+tyres&qid=1614637256&quartzVehicle=121-1619&replacementKeywords=tamiya+monster+tyres&sprefix=tamiya+monster+%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-2

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, MonkeyDucky said:

Those ones I sent a link for above rare part #50519. I also find the following (part #53619).

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/tamiya-cva-mini-shock-unit-cylinder-4/

Get four in this second set versus two in the 50519 for similar money. Are they the same size and the 50519’s are better quality or will the 53619’s not fit anyway?

Thanks!

They are the same shocks, just packaged differently. 50519 comes with springs and more mounting hardware but only two shocks, 53619 comes with no springs and less hardware, but twice as many shocks. You don't need the extra hardware that comes with 50519 for the Overlander, and you can re-use the stock springs, so 53619 would be better value.

8 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

They are the same shocks, just packaged differently. 50519 comes with springs and more mounting hardware but only two shocks, 53619 comes with no springs and less hardware, but twice as many shocks. You don't need the extra hardware that comes with 50519 for the Overlander, and you can re-use the stock springs, so 53619 would be better value.

Perfect - thanks again for the advice!