Sign in to follow this  
53HRA

Question for the truckers - What could it be?

The below Tamiya Truck is for sale which I’ve put my name down to with the seller but after some close up pictures I’ve noticed the Body / fender does not align correctly... any suggestions what it could be?

3-A358720-E819-4-D88-B419-62-DD06-D12840

Hmm, could be that the metal plate that fits the front lower fender / grille section to the chassis is bent or incorrectly fitted, could be that the hinge that the cab mounts to isn't properly fitted, or it could just be that the cab isn't fully closed.  It should hinge around that point at the top of the picture, so the angled vertical gap you see gets bigger as it hinges.  If the truck has an MFU under the cab it can interfere with closing but should have been obvious to whoever was taking the pics.

If that is the only pic you have I would be suspicious but if you have others from further away so we can see how the cab fits the rest of the chassis that might allay your fears.

• Like 1

Thank you for your help @Mad Ax

It is the sellers first RC which was a gift and the truck is from the XB range fitted with MFU but he is not clued up about the model. 
Another photo I have is this one which is from a distance and the seller did say the cab was closed 

36-C75-A64-B713-4-F5-D-98-F6-7-CB7212-B9

The fender corner (1st picture) does have a little paint chip so could it be that it’s been knocked during transport and something needs re-aligning? :wacko:

Also notice the 2nd picture shows the metal bumper bar bend downwards while the first picture looks fine. Could be it’s not properly tightened

• Like 1

defo not closed up correct ..ask for pic of other side to confirm ...but can't see a XB being wrong ..but as above damage in transit of fallen off shelf display maybe ...

Could be easy fix ..but until it gets strip down won't know ...

• Like 2

The front and other side photos below sorry about the quality

There is a slight difference in gap on the front grill each side?

150388-DE-E09-D-469-C-BE89-2-EDE9288-D09

9-DE3-AE35-7-E42-473-E-8-E29-0-C332551-D

There is definitely something not right in the 2nd pic, and as @JYCM3 points out the metal bumper rail doesn't look quite right either.  But that could be improper fitting.

Back to that side panel - I'm not sure about the Mercedes cabs, but on my MAN TGX (which is the same overall shape) the lower side panel that incorporates the arch is not actually moulded into the cab but is stuck onto the cab with double-sided tape.  So if it's had a knock and twisted away, it's an easy fix to add more double-sided tape.  It's not easy to tell if that's the case on the Mercedes, so I'd recommend finding the manual for that cab (tamiya USA should have it in PDF format) and checking.

However in the very last pic, either the cab or the lower grille/bumper section is not right.  It's slight, but there's a twist.  The parts that hold bumper and cab on are metal plate and there's a hinge in the cab mount.  If the rig has been dropped or had something loaded on it, they could bend but the fix would be easy - either replace those parts (assuming you can find them, big rig parts bags for specific models don't come up as often as parts bags for cars / buggies), or take them off and reshape them.  If the twist is in the plastic I'd expect to see more than a paint chip on the corner, but on the other hand it would be a much harder fix.  In the worst case scenario that you have to replace the body, it's the cost of a new cab (not cheap) plus a whole new paint job.

These chassis are heavy, the bodies are rigid and I expect if you drop a big rig you'll do a lot more visible external damage.  I doubt the chassis itself is twisted as the cab and bumper mount onto the same part of the chassis, so the twist wouldn't be apparent there.  Even if the chassis was twisted, the fix would be cheap and simple (if time-consuming).

In all honesty, if you can't see it in person you'll likely not know, but if it was me and the price was right, I'd take a punt.  I wouldn't pay top dollar show-truck money but if it was below the going rate I'd buy it.  Absolute worst case scenario I could buy another cab with what I've saved by not paying top price, and put my own creativity into it.  Best case scenario it's a couple of loose screws and a badly-placed LED wire and it's all fine.  More than likely it's somewhere in the middle and if you're prepared to spend a couple of hours stripping it down you can probably find what's wrong and have a stab at putting it right :) 

• Like 1

I'd say the cab has been closed down and something is caught underneath pushing the guard out.

I wonder if the bottom of the tilt latch bar is detached?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, berman said:

I'd say the cab has been closed down and something is caught underneath pushing the guard out.

I wonder if the bottom of the tilt latch bar is detached?

Good point ..it could be a wire or something...face on looks more the bumper has dropped ..but the shape of the door and flar don't help to see it in the pic ..but its down to OP to say if he wants it ...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 53HRA said:

Thank you for your help @Mad Ax

It is the sellers first RC which was a gift and the truck is from the XB range fitted with MFU but he is not clued up about the model. 
Another photo I have is this one which is from a distance and the seller did say the cab was closed 

36-C75-A64-B713-4-F5-D-98-F6-7-CB7212-B9

The fender corner (1st picture) does have a little paint chip so could it be that it’s been knocked during transport and something needs re-aligning? :wacko:

Maybe be wrong here but the back of the wheel arch looks out of alignment. Surely the mudflap should marry up to the groove that runs round the top of the arch suggesting the cab is twisted 

• Like 1

After checking the manual online, most of the questioned parts are glue together. The bumper bar is held by double side tape. the front fascia by metal plate with 2 screws . All these should be minor and easy fix . Like Tamiyabigstuff said, if price is right go for it.

Here’s the  Manual

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JYCM3 said:

After checking the manual online, most of the questioned parts are glue together. The bumper bar is held by double side tape. the front fascia by metal plate with 2 screws . All these should be minor and easy fix . Like Tamiyabigstuff said, if price is right go for it.

Here’s the  Manual

Bad idea putting that up mind matey. I`m clammin to build another one now:D

• Like 1

Guys many thanks for your help :) 

I have taken a chance on it for £500, but that is with the MFU03 fitted and even a newly built Tamiya flat bed trailer thrown in! 
With it being from the XB range the finish and completely flawless and it certainly looks the part! 
Hopefully sometime over the weekend I’ll get it stripped to examine the strange fender issue. 

More details and pictures to follow once inspected :)

• Like 2

Even if the cab is physically damaged, that's a good price.  When I looked recently, trailer prices had gone up quite a lot and I'm sure the MFU went up a fair chunk last year.

I'm fairly sure there's no irreparable damage there, tho - show us some pics when it arrives so we can see :) 

• Like 1

i think i used a shoo glue i got from penn when i put my merc together

and this cab is a right pain to work on.... it dont tip very far for access so i always end up taking the cab off

but it is a great price with every thing included the access screws are in the bottom light grill/bar that comes off then the the top cab is held on when a couple of hinges beyond the upper grill

• Like 1

I couldn’t wait for the weekend so had a quick inspection.....

Noticed the fender is leaning to the left. It’s never been removed or reglued but surely it cannot be a Tamiya error? 

10-EB5077-3677-4-F72-B739-E00376-B25-F63

This bracket was actually the wrong way round! Again it can’t be a Tamiya error surely not? There’s no indication  to say it’s been opened before.... 
1-FD168-EB-D0-A1-45-C1-B0-DF-EE19442-E8-

Chassis is nice and straight although one bracket was slightly bent which I removed and made straight in the vice...
31152787-C141-4-A4-A-88-FA-77904-FDE84-A

B2748599-533-D-411-C-BF98-E6-BCC09754-FF

Certainly made a difference but not 100% perfect. I think I can live with the little error if I’m honest.  

I certainly think it’s the way the cab has been glued which makes the corner stick out more than it should. Thoughts gents? 

758-FA2-D0-0-FE6-4-D7-C-B1-CB-098-F92-B5

• Like 4

warm air and a bit of tape ..see if it forms a little better after heat ...

Does look much better ...Great price by the way ...bargin with the trailer ....

This is what started me off .always wanted a single truck ..but what I wanted went over 1600 ....So got a single car to relive youth ..yet 2 years later 14 cars now .....

Should stuck with the truck ....lol...

look forward to more info on the refurb.

• Like 1

Wonder if it was on display and in sunlight ....Would that disfigured the panel ..?

23 hours ago, 53HRA said:

31152787-C141-4-A4-A-88-FA-77904-FDE84-A

B2748599-533-D-411-C-BF98-E6-BCC09754-FF

Certainly made a difference but not 100% perfect. I think I can live with the little error if I’m honest.  

I certainly think it’s the way the cab has been glued which makes the corner stick out more than it should. Thoughts gents? 

i dont know if its me but it looks lop sided to me weather its the plate the mfu is sitting on or something else plus the mud guard dont marry up either

but you say it is a xb full option kit cause i cant see tamiya letting that past the quality control but stranger things have happened with tamiya quality 

now if he had been messing with it and not put it back together propperly then that may answer some questions esp if he did not follow the destructions to the tee