Frog Jumper

I am... Iron Frog!

Thanks to all and sicnme for the Flashy Chassis...

PzovW8b.jpg

I picked up the body years ago as a thank you to a store owner that let me use and peruse his shop for an afternoon...  

• Like 10

Mig8mbV.jpg

Added OG Frog front mounts and CRP front arms.  I used some extra tranny doohickies to hold them together...

JTYyFcG.jpg

Bought a #54574 TT02 AL racing steering set to do up the steering. I don’t know the Hole to Hole distance on the TT02 A5 part so I made my own out of 1/16” AL “bars.  I had to get creative, and it took me several times with different configurations to get it all to fit, but this is a good start...  I need some more button head hex screws...

I32IZaz.jpg

I really like the fact that you can adjust the “attack” angle with the Crashy Chassis...

Those are CRP front arms.  I’ll definitely be changing them out for the AL arms I have on the Jumper...

Here it is from another angle:

oBmxehX.jpg

• Like 20

I can't believe I've never seen that before!! That is COOL!! 😎👍👍 Is that still available, or is it from a bygone era?

2 hours ago, Carmine A said:

I can't believe I've never seen that before!! That is COOL!! 😎👍👍 Is that still available, or is it from a bygone era?

“Sassy chassis” used to make these chassis’ and you’ll see one occasionally on eBay. eBay seller “sicnme” sells the modern version of it, which I’ve take to calling the Crashy or Flashy or even Bashy Chassis...  He doesn’t have them listed ATM but you can send him a message and get one.  He told me he didn’t like the way the top part of the tranny connected so he made a Mod.  I might have one of the first Moded Trashy Chassis...

Terry

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

“Sassy chassis” used to make these chassis’ and you’ll see one occasionally on eBay. eBay seller “sicnme” sells the modern version of it, which I’ve take to calling the Crashy or Flashy or even Bashy Chassis...  He doesn’t have them listed ATM but you can send him a message and get one.  He told me he didn’t like the way the top part of the tranny connected so he made a Mod.  I might have one of the first Moded Trashy Chassis...

Terry

I used to Truck Pulling with a Clod Sassy Chassis - very back in the day! Never knew that an ORV Chassis was also available!  I will have to check that guy out.

Dare I ask about how much it was??  Looks like I wouldn't even need a whole Frog... Just a couple of Parts Trees.

On 3/3/2021 at 8:16 PM, JennyMo said:

Nice!

You have to paint it red and gold now!

Jx

I just spent $50 on red and gold paint at the LHS.  I blame you...

Terry

• Like 2

After seeing this, I think I’ll have to rename my All Metal Frog to Shiny Frog - it just doesn’t live up to this standard!

Not sure I can justify upgrading to one of these chassis, tempting though it is.

• Haha 1

I got side-tracked with an ECX Amp MT kit build with my son.  And work and life and stuff...

But I had a chance to work on the Iron Frog a few nights ago, and again tonight.

Switched out the CRP front arms for a set of aluminum arms. Also added OG Frog front axles knuckles.  Those beaches needed some serious shimming!

5m1lBhP.jpg

I have the typical shoulder screws in the arms now, but those will get switched out with the addition of the front shock mounts.

I found this JunFac set on Fleabayz a few years ago and squirreled them away for a future project.  And here is that project.  These are taller than the other set of aluminum mounts I have on the Jumper.

uapZ6co.jpg

These JunFac mounts are really nice.  The thing I really like about them is that they included brass sleeves with shoulders the were perfect fit.  The mounts themselves are countersunk to accommodate the shoulder.  Brilliant!

Ztx3Myg.jpg

After some fitting and testing, including zapping both sides with the metal file, I got the mounts fitted nicely...

8WD58Ks.jpg

Shoulder screws by the wayside...

I also like that the JunFac mounts came with shock spacers.  They are beautiful in their simplicity...

Next step is front dampers...

I’m not a fan of Chinese Shiny Shocks, so I might get some 50520s and paint them TS17.  The max length is approx 75mm.  Anyone have any suggestions on blingy shocks that actually work???

Terry

• Like 6

I've a box of parts intended for a modded ORV project which contains a set of RC4WD King dampers. I've no idea whether they would actually be suitable for your purpose! They are more commonly found on crawlers and are known to leak. You can get 75mm pairs - I've some on the back of my trail rig.

On 3/27/2021 at 11:58 PM, Frog Jumper said:

...I’m not a fan of Chinese Shiny Shocks, so I might get some 50520s and paint them TS17.  The max length is approx 75mm.  Anyone have any suggestions on blingy shocks that actually work???

Terry

It's looking great with that all-metal front end - luverly!

fwiw. I'd consider some internally sprung shocks/dampers on the front, rather than coil-overs... I always think coil-overs look too fat/big on the front of these and the SRB, whereas you can get some nice size (9-10mm diameter body) internal spring shocks from RC4WD (licenced branded ones, including Bilstein and Old Man Emu for example), or their plain silver or black 'ultimate scale shocks' in a variety of lengths - there are also a pretty similar version of those on eBay from Chinese sellers, which are actually pretty decent too - I have a set of 90mm ones (with 80mm springs inside) on my Capra and they work well, particularly on lighter-weight buggy style builds.

Jx

• Like 2

That's just awesome!! 

Eventually I'm going to build something out of that chrome orv I got from you... Not sure if frog, blackfoot or beetle...

• Like 1

Previously I said I would work on front dampers, but I found a nice set of servo mounts.  So I did that instead...

I actually found two sets, but one set was for RC10 and I decided I didn’t want to corrupt my build with imperial screws...  So I went with these Pargu mounts...

jpFdCEz.jpg

Easy install.  I had a dead servo laying around I used to test fit. Unfortunately the gears inside are jammed so it doesn’t turn to test. But it looks nice!  Need a new servo and a nice servo horn.  Once I get that, I can fine tune the servo crank arm thingy...

JsCLkTm.jpg

And since I had all this gold and red PS spray sitting around, I decided to try to do some curves with Tamiya masking tape. Worked great, except for the parts where I messed up.  It’s a “fiver”, as in it looks good from five feet away.  No matter, once this bad boy is doing 140mph, no one will notice the imperfections...

2IgUd6b.jpg

I also fitted a Thorp dog bone tranny, but I’m not happy with it, so I’m going to work on that some more...

Terry

• Like 4

Update...

I checked out her rear...

I wasn’t happy with the Thorp Dogbone set I had in there. It was used and abused and I didn’t look at it before throwing it in.  Rectified!  I took it out and replaced it with my old rebuilt Jumper Thorp setup and its golden.  Thorp tranny.  Trashax sliders.  Robinson axles.  CRP #1608.  Freshies from Fast Eddy.  Sprayed the black tranny case with TS83.  MHeald brace.  Proteck blue spacers.  CRP #1606 sprayed with TS17 (looks like crap)...

51w2PDw.jpg

But then I didn’t like the up and down action, or rather the side to side on the right side.  Loose.  I needed a shim.  I found one on the top of my beer can.  Call this this the Poptop Mod!  Lol!  Pulled off the poptop, hit it with the file and cutters and plyers.  I amaze myself...

1ZiFAZP.jpg

ZBgpOZw.jpg

uHiTyKv.jpg

ax3Cc5c.jpg

Added some m3x50 black screws to tighten up the rear swing arms, but they’ll be replaced with stainless...

My LHS had 50520s, and I bought two sets of two.  They are too long.  Oh well.  I need the 50519s...

oWPJfRe.jpg

9aBsLix.jpg

So now the front and rear flappers are done for prelim.  Need to add 50519s.  Maybe spray them with TS83. Then sort the body mounts...

Oh yeah, new servo!

Thanks!

Terry

• Like 9

Some more work on the rear...  shims in a few spots, 50520s painted TS83, Kyosho wheels with generic slicks..

qdEZy9c.jpg

WF5Rrqd.jpg

Also did some minor work on the front.  50520s that need paint, Kyosho wheels with generic slicks...

h6GOCeU.jpg

I need to get some turnbuckles and another can of TS83.  And a bumper...

Getting there...

Jd67Q4b.jpg

Terry

• Like 10

Getting close to the end…

TS83 on the #50520s, Yeah Racing 40mm turnbuckles, JG Mfg #M12 3mm tie rod ends at the steering end, 2mm ball cups moded to fit 3mm t-buckles at the knuckle end. Cooper813 (eBay) bumper/ ankle slicer…

RDcm4QO.jpg

Johnson 540J with eBay motor mount and Thorp 16t extended pinion.  I’m not a fan of this motor mount - it flexes.  I’ll be buying a Robinson steel 16t pinion shortly…

8YlJx8A.jpg

Another angle…  

b4LC2H2.jpg

Next task is to cut out the body and figure out how to mount it…

Terry

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Surely you'll be using magnets?!

I hadn't thought aobut it, but that's a great idea!

Terry

• Like 1

Not sure how I missed this build.. but, ****!  That looks awesome Frog Jumper!   It’s a Cyberman Frog! Ha..  I have Hot Trick Blackfoot and Beetle builds going..Don’t need any ideas for a third money pit!   Looking forward to the body.. 

• Like 1

you've made that one can of Sierra Nevada IPA last a really long time!!! :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2