Saito2

Take your RC to work

Anybody take an RC to their place of work to run on break or lunch? I've considered it. My work has decent parking lot space and a nice wooded tree-line with a field behind that which would be a good place to run a Blackfoot for a little relaxation. The crowd of smokers hang out there (smoking is prohibited on company property) and would probably deem me crazy for playing with a toy car but its tempting in the summertime. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Anybody take an RC to their place of work to run on break or lunch? I've considered it. My work has decent parking lot space and a nice wooded tree-line with a field behind that which would be a good place to run a Blackfoot for a little relaxation. The crowd of smokers hang out there (smoking is prohibited on company property) and would probably deem me crazy for playing with a toy car but its tempting in the summertime. 

Yes! There's a great big playing field opposite out work yard. It's not very busy so i often take a buggy and give it blast before work or on lunch. Just own the weird looks. I think smoking is way more stupid than playing with toy cars. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Guilty....

Best way to come back with a smile on my face.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snappy1 said:

Guilty....

Best way to come back with a smile on my face.

Nothing better than a nooner with an RC. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aye, during the summer months, my workmates who are into the hobby and myself often race in the car park after work or over lunch. We also often bring our cars into a lab for electronic repairs, as the pro-grade diagnostic and soldering equipment we have at work is vastly superior to the hobby level stuff we have at home.

I do have an HPI e10 in my classroom (which coincidentally my work area)... all my Tamiya stuff is at home... when this pandemic ends, I reconsidering running an after school RC club again like I did a few years ago if I can find sponsors and get some grant money... 

• Like 1

Not in this neighborhood! Busy streets, no parking lots, and a big homeless population. Not a good spot for it at all.

I have considered getting something teeny-tiny (vintage Tamtech or Mini-Z or similar) to drive around on my office floor during lunchtime, but haven't yet.

I often take mine with me when I'm parked up on my break, if I find a quiet corner of the motorway services I can be seen running it around usually around midnight always put a smile on my face and makes the rest of my shift enjoyable 

I do take mine to work occasionally to show my coworkers.  There is a huge area on our campus that isn’t used which makes a great running spot.  I’ve got a few Of my coworkers hooked and they’ve bought vehicles. A while back I was working offsite and took my slash. There is a beach within a short walk which I could run my buggy on during lunch. 

001(31).jpg

001(42).jpg

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

I have considered getting something teeny-tiny (vintage Tamtech or Mini-Z or similar) to drive around on my office floor during lunchtime, but haven't yet.

The Kyosho mini-z 4x4 and Axial scx24 make killer coffee table desk crawlers. Here I am rock crawling at Pikes Peak Colorado. 4F04373E-4058-469C-B439-88E7AF99143F_zps

8CC1C0C0-67CE-41B5-A25D-28747C71EFCC_zps

• Like 2

We have run my cars in the underground car park of my office, most recently my FTX Outlaw.

Between lockdowns the office was a lot quieter so plenty of room to stretch it out.

It helps that it was my boss who got me in to the hobby when he got a Hornet for his 40th birthday. 

1 hour ago, Shodog said:

The Kyosho mini-z 4x4 and Axial scx24 make killer coffee table desk crawlers. Here I am rock crawling at Pikes Peak Colorado. 4F04373E-4058-469C-B439-88E7AF99143F_zps

8CC1C0C0-67CE-41B5-A25D-28747C71EFCC_zps

I have the same paint scheme on my scx 24.

Have not brought it to work yet, but I have brought ( and painted ) by stampede to work .

I’ve also driven my 1:16 REVO and flown a small drone in a hangar while on slow mid shifts. 

• Like 1

You guys leave the house? Wow proper jealous ;)

ive not been into my office for 12 months next week

given I work with autonomous systems I still feel my co workers would laugh their ***** off at me 

I took my mini drone in once to show someone and had to fly it in the stairwell - he then grabbed it and flew I’d down the office - awks

i used to take my RC to school and use the tennis courts at lunch with @Xeostar

(in a day when you wouldn’t get it stolen if left unattended for 5mins)

JJ

12 minutes ago, Killajb said:

Does playing with RC-related stuff for work count..?:D

IMG_20200908_144111.jpg

Likewise - just on a slightly different scale

JJ

• Like 2

I took my son and his buggy to the office one weekend. We improvised a ramp and did jumps in the hallway.

I normally have one or two in the back of my car, so I can stop off for 5 minutes on the way home if I feel the need.

I have recently got a co worker into it. Another co worker mentioned he wanted to get his son a 'good rc car' and the other co worker told him to ask me, so I recommended him a Arrma Granite Voltage as a starter. He brought it to work for me to fix one day and then 4 grown men were playing with it at work doing drifts. A week later the other co worker (who recommended me to advise the other) comes to work with a newly acquired second hand Kraton 6s, and proceeded to snot it into a big steel cage.

Everyone at the lunch room was laughing at him for smashing up a toy car, then he then mentions "berman can fix it for me, he's got **** loads of RC cars..."

So.. yeah...

• Like 1

I've my RC box in the boot of my car, every time I'm not dayshift!

Not to run, but work on, all my projects where done there...🙄

theres a ton of space if i took my rc to work but i dont think they'd appreciate an RC truck running on their premises AT ALL  its not even negotiable to arrange that.

7 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Likewise - just on a slightly different scale

JJ

Watched the video. Do I need to sign the official secrets act now 🤫

Once my car and my children’s car are both complete I intend on keeping them in the van! I drive all over town for work so if I see a good spot I can just pop them out and go for a bash!

Plan to do it sometimes when the weather gets better.

Aah, where do I start :lol:

When I first got into RC, I was working with a guy who was into electric planes.  He had a pretty big collection and we would always swap pics and details of what we were working on.  I got a lot of stuff delivered to the office, which he was always keen to see.  I sold him a few things so he and his son could get into cars.  One time we took my TXT-1 on a 15-minute talk to a disused BMX track that he'd found out in the woods, we managed about 3 jumps before I broke a rod-end and had to carry it all the way back to the office.

In 2010 I started at a new place where there wasn't much RC interest but it was just 10 minutes from the local indoor race club, so often I'd finish work and head straight to the hall to get set up.  One of the lads there had an old RC that he hadn't driven for years, I forget what it was, so we took that and my 1:16 e-revo out for a spin at lunch, but it was a bit dull.

I started at another place in 2014.  At the time I was the only RC enthusiast, but it was well situated for local crawling and trailing spots, so I'd often go out at lunch with the CC01 or the SCX10.  Then, one Christmas, one of them got a Hubsan Q4, a tiny little palm-size quadcopter, and he brought it to the office.  Then another guy got one.   Before long, all of us had them.  We'd have random races around the office.  Usually we'd all be working quietly and then from the other side of the room there'd be a buzz, followed by another, then another, and suddenly all of us were flying at once, racing around the room.  It helped that we were a satellite office and the only management was a technical director who was only there once or twice a week, so we pretty much did as we pleased.  There were 8 of us in the room, spread out around the edge, with a wide-screen TV, sofa and X-box in the middle.  And a table always covered in donuts and biscuits and other unhealthiness.  I really miss that place.

Now I work for a much bigger corporation with a city centre office, there was no space there for any kind of RC.  That office was sold a year ago with a plan to move us into a newer facility, but the pandemic has caused a change of plan and it's been closed, so I'm a full-time homeworker.  Recently we've been doing "coffee roulette" meetings where we have a 30 minute weekly chat with a random person across the company, I usually go into my studio where all my cars are stored so I can show off my collection.  Two weeks ago I got chatting to a guy who had a DF-03 on the shelf in the background, he was just starting out in the hobby, so we had a proper chat about cars.

At the moment my office is a camping table in the front bedroom, but due to the permanent homeworking change we're turning the spare bedroom into my office-and-chillout-room.  Not only will my work desk be there, but also all my shelf cars will be on the wall immediately behind me.  So there will be no hiding the RC collection from my colleagues when they call me in on meetings.

Incidentally, a few weeks ago I was on a Teams call while wearing my Tamiyaclub hump-pack battery T-shirt.  One of the guys recognised it "from a car he had when he was little that he probably still has" - if he can find it I'll see what it is and encourage him to get it running again :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Watched the video. Do I need to sign the official secrets act now 🤫

Nah - I’ll just send the people round :)

JJ

I took my eachine e013 to my job. Its a tinywhoop like drone and I flew indoor. In the office not outside as I was working on a airport :D 

I also once took my lunchbox to work... had it in the car... all the co-workers gathered around and some wanted to try. Everybody liked it... but more then once feels awkward .

• Like 1