Watts

My Tamiya Fleet

Sooooo, for the first 42 years of my life or so, I had one car, a 1991 Manta Ray, bought from Beatties in good ole Romford, UK.  In April of last year I found an original Top Force in Japan and decided what the heck, always wanted one, so bought it.  Then came a birthday, Christmas and a few late night splurges and here we are:

When the inevitable happens and I receive my divorce papers, can anyone offer me a couch to sleep on? :rolleyes:

IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

• Like 19

Nice fleet.

I do recall there was a thread recently explaining what you should do in event of RC-related divorce :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

Nice fleet.

I do recall there was a thread recently explaining what you should do in event of RC-related divorce :)

I can't believe you brought that up again..... :rolleyes::P

On 3/13/2020 at 2:24 PM, jonboy1 said:

What I will say is, in 3 months time when you have a negative amount in your bank account, have used every friend, relative and click and collect location in a 30 mile radius to sneak every Evo hop up part made under the "home radar" and anodised blue is your new favourite colour, don't say we didn't warn you. :) 

Told you so...... ;) 

In terms of determining required space for your cllection, assume it will grow at the rate of 1 car per month, occasionally 2 cars. That's what happened to me.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, c64orinoco said:

In terms of determining required space for your cllection, assume it will grow at the rate of 1 car per month, occasionally 2 cars. That's what happened to me.

At what point do your own logical thoughts telling you to not buy another kit lose their efficacy?

15 minutes ago, nel33 said:

At what point do your own logical thoughts telling you to not buy another kit lose their efficacy?

The fact you are still having logical thoughts suggests you aren't there yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

i wouldn't worry yet you dont have nearly enough toys to warrant a divorce 

a what a great fleet you have their but i would say go over all the plastic to check for cracks as the top-force and manta ray are known for this

53 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

The fact you are still having logical thoughts suggests you aren't there yet.

Yeah but I fear the worst in the long run. Storage space is my biggest limitation. I got +20 Gundam kits and it's a "what the heck, just move this to the side a bit" storage process LOL . The RC process is 1 kit for terrain type ATM.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

I can't believe you brought that up again..... :rolleyes::P

Told you so...... ;) 

Yes, on that note Jonboy1, do you happen to ahve any lottery number recommendations?  I'll go 50/50 with you on any winnings :)

5 hours ago, nel33 said:

About 3 months after my first post here, apparently...

4 hours ago, topforcein said:

i wouldn't worry yet you dont have nearly enough toys to warrant a divorce 

a what a great fleet you have their but i would say go over all the plastic to check for cracks as the top-force and manta ray are known for this

Thanks!  Really appreciate all the comments!  Definitely plan to look for cracks and so on.  I feel like a reasonably seasoned expert on the Manta Ray as I've already done multiple multi-decade restorations and now the failure points, but the Top Force is brand new to me...

• Like 1

I offer up this useful phrase: "What that old thing? I've had that!!"

Or if things get dire: "Remember the one you got me for Christmas? Just a new body on that one!"

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Watts said:

About 3 months after my first post here, apparently...

LOL i think its also around 3 months for me also. i found out rathe fast that a road drifter isnt too useful in winter weather so a truck and a buggy were the "logical solution"...

16 hours ago, nel33 said:

The point for me is about two whiskeys into a Sunday evening in front of the computer with the browser open on TamiyaClub and RCMart.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, c64orinoco said:

The point for me is about two whiskeys into a Sunday evening in front of the computer with the browser open on TamiyaClub and RCMart.

I don't need a shot of whiskey, sometimes my purchases are late evening or early morning on rcmart. Its more stressing as I need to focus more on the details. Not having full concentration is annoying.

47 minutes ago, nel33 said:

I don't need a shot of whiskey, sometimes my purchases are late evening or early morning on rcmart. Its more stressing as I need to focus more on the details. Not having full concentration is annoying.

For me it's the whiskey. It's Friday night, I've had two whiskeys and I seem to have just ordered a RC P-51 Mustang via Banggood. Lucky I was also able to buy the wife a set of tarot cards - she collects those, and has about 150 sets, far more than my cars! Look, I only have 12 cars, thats nothing like 150 tarot decks!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, c64orinoco said:

It can sneak up on me when I:

• see a photo of a different take on a kit that I have never consider but looks so good I want to do it myself
  • see a photo of a different take on a kit that I have 3 of but looks so good I want to do it myself
  • open up a model shop website to check a price of something I bought last month and decide to browse current stock just because
  • go to a race or bash and see another car that looks loads more fun than any of the cars I have
  • chat to an RC mate about alternative takes on a kit and realise there's something new I can try
  • realise I have an in-progress project on all cars of a particular type so I don't actually have a runner of that type any more so I must buy a new kit to make a plain, unmodified runner which I will absolutely not turn into a project until at least one of the other projects is done
  • turn the kit purchased above into a long project before I turn a screw on any of the other projects
  • break a small, insignificant, cheap, readily-available and easily-fixed part on my only runner of a particular type so I don't have a runner of that type any more
  • sell a car because I desperately need to save space or raise money
  • enter into a race that I don't actually have a legal car for
  • enter into a race that I only have one legal car for and limited spares
  • enter into a race that I have one legal car and plenty of spares but I want to enter a second class
  • discover a pandemic has cancelled all the events I was planning to do and I don't have any legal cars for the events that are still running
  • read that the BRCA has advised people to buy cars legal for local races instead of planning to travel long distances for racing because long distance travel might not be allowed when lockdown ends
  • decide to run a one-day one-driver Monster Truck championship with multiple classes and I only have one monster truck
  • decide I want to build a simple, cheap mechanical or electronic device but I don't have a car to put it in
  • realise I want another trailer for my big rigs so I can change trailers during a truck meet without having to shunt multiple rigs around
  • realise I now have more trailers than big rigs so I need another big rig
  • post on threads about why I can't buy any more cars
  • post on threads about why I justify buying more cars
  • remember we're in lockdown and there's naff all to do besides buy cars
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

• see a photo of a different take on a kit that I have never consider but looks so good I want to do it myself
  • etc, etc, etc,

When in doubt, buy another car. Justify later.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Driveforfun said:

I offer up this useful phrase: "What that old thing? I've had that!!"

Or if things get dire: "Remember the one you got me for Christmas? Just a new body on that one!"

This is not a bad idea at all

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Watts said:

I have lots of new bodies they just came in a box with a free chassis 🤫

• Haha 1

While I might only end up having 3 chassis, I'm probably gonna end up with 2 body shells each per chassis. ATM 3 drifter, soon to be 2 slash, hopefully 2 TD and i still havent given up on an old dirty beater paint job with multiple mismatched body panel colors. Body shells seem to be one thing i am more comfy justifying without worrying...

A lovely addiction, sorry collection you have there! Chuckling at the Beatties Romford right of passage, that long savouring wander to the back of the shop via the train sets, the model kits, the scalextric and finally to the back counter!

Some times I came out clutching a new Tamiya Catalogue - many weeks pocket and paper round money - but one Christmas everything aligned and I came out with the fabled blue pvc bag and a Grasshopper! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

• see a photo of a different take on a kit that I have 3 of but looks so good I want to do it myself
  • open up a model shop website to check a price of something I bought last month and decide to browse current stock just because
  • go to a race or bash and see another car that looks loads more fun than any of the cars I have
  • chat to an RC mate about alternative takes on a kit and realise there's something new I can try
  • realise I have an in-progress project on all cars of a particular type so I don't actually have a runner of that type any more so I must buy a new kit to make a plain, unmodified runner which I will absolutely not turn into a project until at least one of the other projects is done
  • turn the kit purchased above into a long project before I turn a screw on any of the other projects
  • break a small, insignificant, cheap, readily-available and easily-fixed part on my only runner of a particular type so I don't have a runner of that type any more
  • sell a car because I desperately need to save space or raise money
  • enter into a race that I don't actually have a legal car for
  • enter into a race that I only have one legal car for and limited spares
  • enter into a race that I have one legal car and plenty of spares but I want to enter a second class
  • discover a pandemic has cancelled all the events I was planning to do and I don't have any legal cars for the events that are still running
  • read that the BRCA has advised people to buy cars legal for local races instead of planning to travel long distances for racing because long distance travel might not be allowed when lockdown ends
  • decide to run a one-day one-driver Monster Truck championship with multiple classes and I only have one monster truck
  • decide I want to build a simple, cheap mechanical or electronic device but I don't have a car to put it in
  • realise I want another trailer for my big rigs so I can change trailers during a truck meet without having to shunt multiple rigs around
  • realise I now have more trailers than big rigs so I need another big rig
  • post on threads about why I can't buy any more cars
  • post on threads about why I justify buying more cars

This is exactly how my brain works 😂

• Like 1

Have a read through my project pages - I started with 1 (lunchbox rere) and had that for a few years then beetle rere and then terra scorcher and then boom - 20+ now and a new shed but not quite a new wife yet :)

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2021 at 5:48 PM, Shergar said:

A lovely addiction....

This is great outlook. As long as you are not RC'ing yourself into a financial crisis, as far as addictions go, this is definitely in the "good" tier. Considering it usually makes children happy, RC has built in defense to outside criticism!

• Like 2

On 3/5/2021 at 6:02 PM, lentner3 said:

Loving the paint job on the Manta ray how did you achieve that?

Ha, I'm glad you asked actually, I'm still quite proud of that from having done it aged 16.  Not my idea initially.  I read a review of the Top Force and the author thought the box art was rubbish so he made his own paint scheme (I cant find the article for the life of me).  Splattered the inside with some sort of solution (I used elmer's glue), waited for it to dry, painted inside black/dark grey, waited for it to dry, peeled off the glue (I don't remember this being a pain but it must've been), then sprayed neon red and yellow from opposite ends.  Theres all sorts of overspray but I didnt care as I was just excited it worked and I got the two colors to blend orange in the middle!!  Going to try it again sometime soon B)

• Like 1