Sign in to follow this  
Tunar

Need help with servo wiring

I recently purchased a vintage Grasshopper. I'm installing a modern receiver in it and the servo plugs are incompatible, they are male end plugs and need to be female. So I ordered some female connectors, now I'm wondering if someone can tell me which wire goes to which pin on the servos as well as the power switch. 

Would I be correct to assume the black wire is the pin closest to the side the wires enter the connector and the white wire is furthest with the red the middle pin? What about the power connector? 

Thank you - Josh 

20210224_052943.jpg

Have you got a picture of the sockets you bought? Because those connectors are obsolete and unless you managed to track down some vintage sockets, they won't fit.

Since you are changing the receiver in the car anyway I would recommend changing them to modern ones. You can buy plugs with pigtails for soldering. Or, for a cleaner look, you can buy a crimp tool that will do the same job on bare wire.

To be honest unless you REALLY want the vintage driving experience I would consider swapping the MSC for a Hobbywing 1060 and the old steering servo for a modern one such as a Futaba 3003. And then sell the vintage Futaba servos (which some people might find interesting in their own right)

Either do what "sosidge" said or you can change the ends by cutting the end off and replace with new style ones. Probably better off buying new stuff. Those pin plugs go back to the 1970's.

Yes, as above.

I would rather search for a appropriate reciever. And keep it as a shelfer with Original parts.

or just sell those to somebody years correct servos and buy new ones. 

as for what wore goes where. Test it once you get the female plugs.

you could also take apart the reciever solder out the pins and try to stock them directly its only a 6$ reciever anyways

Thank you, I already have a modern esc, that I can use. 

Yes, I did buy the new connectors and a crimping tool, I figured I'd just cut off the old end and attach the new connector, I'm just not sure what order I should connect the wires to the pins. 

25 minutes ago, Tunar said:

I'm located near Woodstock VA in Virginia's shenandoah valley. 

Never mind I had some adapters you could have but i’m in The U.K. 

min terms of which wires go where. The wire nearest the edge of the reciever should be the black negative. The middle one is the positive normally red. And the last one is the signal wire normally white or orange. Does that make sense. If not I can annotate the image.

Ok, so....

The price of sold old futaba fp-s28 on eBay is massive $6, a new 3003 is about $10. I already had ordered the pack of connectors, so I decided to give that a try. I decided to not be lazy and take the body off the reissue grasshopper to copy the wiring positions in the connectors. The ones I ordered do not have a locator tab, so I can pull them and insert them 180 if needed. 

Well... The crimp tool was a joke, it was tedious but easier to just crimp with needle nose pliers. I did one and inserted the pins into the connector. The second one, I tried to solder after crimping.... I'm guessing I used to much solder and it filled the female on, because that one doesn't want to push on. Then a wire pulled out of the first connector I did. So... I'm done for the evening, maybe I'll try again tomorrow, soldering both with just a touch of solder. I also need to do the power connectors. 

-Josh 

20210306_165703.jpg

49 minutes ago, lentner3 said:

Never mind I had some adapters you could have but i’m in The U.K. 

min terms of which wires go where. The wire nearest the edge of the reciever should be the black negative. The middle one is the positive normally red. And the last one is the signal wire normally white or orange. Does that make sense. If not I can annotate the image.

That's perfect, just what I was looking for, thank you. 

1 hour ago, Tunar said:

That's perfect, just what I was looking for, thank you. 

Lol but thats written on the reciever.