wtcc5

wtcc5's TT-02 race development and race reports

I really like this thread. The passion behind your creation and construction is great. Also your race reports are written very good , especially the learned improvements for your chassis.

To permit of the new chassis is a really sad move. Such things can destroy a racing series.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread had a long pause (again)...
I didn't attend any races in the last months and also was busy with a lot of other stuff this summer. I maybe wouldn't be active on the development at this moment, if not for Michael Koos, who keeps me updated with the latest insider news. This time regarding the new XLP shocks from Xray. I loved the design on first sight, but you never know how they perform from a picture. Michael Koos gave me a detailed (positive) report on how the owner/user experienced these and that he wanted them for his v4. He made a friend send me his dampers, so I could take some measurements:

bildschirmfoto2022-1100ccb.png

Xray made these impressively short, while keeping the stroke length at the same level. The picture shows a Yokomo BD10 damper (right), not Xrays ULP :rolleyes:

I was a bit selfish and adapted the 4.1 to these super short shocks first. Well, I call it the 4.2 now, because I also implemented other changes.

Overview:

bildschirmfoto2022-11oyew7.png

With these small shocks, I had to change the upper mounts. They got a bit longer "arms". To support these, the upper plates changed as well. If you take a look at the hubs, you can see, that I shortened the upper part and lengthened the lower attachment point. Like this, the angle of the A-arms are lowered, resulting in more freedom of up-movement and lower c.o.g. It also has the effect, that the shock is positioned lower, too. The low shock location is healthy for the design of the upper A-arm. It was previously angled a lot on the front mount to evade the upper shock mount. The design wasn't weak, but I had to remove more material than wanted to avoid a collision. This is now all sorted out:

bildschirmfoto2022-11i7fl6.png

bildschirmfoto2022-11mtdwm.png

Similar changes happened at the rear. Here I also changed the hub design regarding the toe link arm. I never liked the "shoe" design before. It worked, but resulted in asymmetric hubs, that couldn't be interchanged left to right. Also the "shoe" design made it a larger than liked hub. Now the hub is symmetric and more compact:

bildschirmfoto2022-11jacfc.png

bildschirmfoto2022-11tki49.png

bildschirmfoto2022-11b4eaa.png

• Like 4

I really like how you managed to make the rear hub "flip flop"/symmetrical. Nicely done again.

• Like 1

img_56381hivn.jpg

With a 17.5t class rising in my club, I pulled out the 4.1 from the shelf. I put it there after rebuilding it early 2022 with new parts.

I kept the setup and just put on the old race tires. @Quincy got himself a MTC2 with Hobbywing G4 combo and a new high downforce tc body. Since he got it, he is on pace.

The car was a blast to drive from the first lap on. Very consistent and blistering fast. It felt, like I never drove something else, precise and planted with awesome rotation. I just managed 4 runs (it was late already), but could pull out a one good run after another. This was my best last Friday:

img_56412qii4.jpg

9,6s/lap was Quincy and my best  so far. Quincy also drove a day later and is in the 9,4s now. Comparing these times is a bit difficult though, because yesterday a lot of people visited the track (race on Sunday) and this should have made the track faster (compared to the fresh vacuumed cold track on Friday). My hope is to be in the 9,5s maybe 9,4s too. I wonder what would be possible with an ETS 17.5t combo and a tc body...Here some pictures of the car:

img_5632bvfo4.jpg

img_5633u5do9.jpg

img_5634tne8a.jpg

• Like 4

I have to apologize for not keeping you up to date. The v5 is already alive, TQed and won his first race. The last weeks were pretty short and exciting. I will try to make up every step that was made here with a looooooong post. Lets start with the build. I didn't make photos of every step, because the v5 as a system is pretty similar to the v4.1.

The reason there is a v5, is Xray and their new XLP damper. Its shortness while still allowing this much stroke is impressing. Then all the good feedback the people give. A win situation, so it had to go on this car. I bought a set plus all the available springs:

img_6158ifc1h.jpg

img_6159tgie6.jpg

img_6160yie0m.jpg

img_61615vf1n.jpg

In between I enjoyed a week snowboarding in Austria. In between I ordered all parts, because the German Championship of the RCK series season 2018-2023 (the five years grande finale) was getting very close. I was delighted when Shapeways delivered:

img_6162zsei5.jpg

I started the build instantly on the same day in the evening. Goal was to complete the build and ship the car in the morning to Meik Niemann who will run it, because I am not a good enough driver and have no time to attend. Fitting the front spool:

img_61635hfk5.jpg

The rear diff was replaced with the new XV-02 sealed gear diff (finally a good ******* diff!). I added the light aluminum diff outdrives:

img_6164l2ddu.jpg

As the carbon shaft was worn, I replaced it with the new SRX shaft and bladed outdrives:

img_616536cmb.jpg

Drivetrain completed:

img_6166gkerb.jpg

The new front hubs with the possibility to limit the throw:

img_6167gxiuo.jpg

In between the table looked horrible. My wife was just shaking her head :lol::

img_6168uuc13.jpg

I continued with the new designed droopplates:

img_6169m6d2h.jpg

Front lower section completed and attached:

img_6170qndrr.jpg

img_6171duf36.jpg

The new bumper design. These rubber bumpers get much stronger with a carbon brace supporting it from behind in comparison to just sliding it on two body posts:

img_61729kej2.jpg

Now to the rear, with the same installation steps:

img_61730xc1b.jpg

img_61743oe9w.jpg

With the evening so late, I forgot to take shots of last steps... so here is the completed car:

img_6176afcss.jpg

img_6178s6fkr.jpg

img_6181o5cz4.jpg

img_618279d3r.jpg

img_61805vc1n.jpg

img_6183d6e58.jpg

To be continued ...

• Like 1

With my duty done so far... and being lucky everything came together without making mistakes, I packed the paket for Meik:

img_6185yycb8.jpg

Everything arrived safe and Meik even found a slot in between the workdays to get accustomed with the v5. He send a video with him practicing at his hometrack. I have never seen a 17.5t car taking so much corner speed. This put a big smile on my face. He made a nice picture later with the v5, his tuned TT-02 and a TT-01 side by side:

img_6334zteov.jpg

Last saturday then even I got nervous, although I didn’t race :D Meik was working on the setup and you can clearly see, that the upper arm system was new for him:

img_6335sdc5l.jpg

Time for qualifying! The club made a livestream and I made screenshots to document here. In the first run, Meik wasn’t happy with the setup, yet. The carpet was a bit strange and the tires we all thought would be best (Sorex) didn't suit the condition. Meik came up second behind Louis Kretschmer who was driving the KRv4.1evo (new upper chassis parts to use XLP shocks) by Michael Koos.

img_1681eli0u.png

For the second run, Meiks changes to the setup worked the way he liked it:

img_16824odda.png

img_1683vbc11.png

He also won the third and last qualifyer to secure his spot in the A-final:

img_1684r3ine.png

Cars at the scrutineering:

img_63216hib2.jpg

Raceday:
For the pole position, the series planned an exciting two lap shootout. Unfortunately, I was busy and missed the shootout as well as the first two finals... But there was nothing to worry. Meik proved his pace from Saturday, with Louis coming home second. Again from a video the series representative put online and the livestream of the third final, I made screenshots:

img_1687zufxl.png

Louis was the faster one in the finals, now having his setup the way he needed it. His car:

img_6322phfi9.jpg

Meik and him were glued together for most of the finals, but Meik never flinched and brought home the first two finals, securing his overall win, title "German Champion of the RCKleinserie" and the first win for the KRv5. Louis could win the third final and became Vice-Champion. Both lapped the whole field in the process of their duel:

img_6328xxd8s.png

As constructor of their cars, I just can say a big thank you to both of them! Their racecraft is outstanding and both unlocked the whole potential of these conversions. And thanks to them I am a bit proud myself, having experienced (thanks to them and Michael Koos) the peak of my work: My creations winning the German Championship of this series.

img_6333r7em8.jpg

img_6361mpehr.jpg

The Kleinserie Channel published a very good video of the raceday, interviewing the drivers and filming most of the GT-Sport-class A-Finals with Meik and Louis starting at minute 26:26:

https://youtu.be/yfTk_7ih__Y

Now, I am sitting here, typing and not knowing how and if this story will continue. It was a new experience and with COVID disturbing everybody, the project was more than once over for me. The 4.1, I thought, was the last straw for my TT-02-tuning-motivation. I never raced the production car last year, but pulled it out just recently for some fun practice against MTC2 with race blob bodies and it proved its pedigree by being as fast as them - giving new energy... Now, the v5 won the title. It feels pretty unreal. What a journey. I just hope it was a good story for all readers here.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

One more cool thing: You rather seldom get pictures of your car in action. And if someone makes pictures, these are often blurry or out of focus, and so on... just because it is so difficult to shoot these small and fast moving cars. The greater was my joy, when I just read the Fb-post and saw the pictures Martin Bollenbacher (from Martin Bollenbacher Photography) made at the race. He is a pro regarding R/C photography. If you meet him at the track with a camera in his hands, you can be sure he will make some unforgettable pictures. He was so kind and allowed me to share the shown selection with you.

These pictures document the close battle Meik and Louis fought for the win:

a1305551-aae1-4591-am1idv.jpeg

d113b3dd-9811-4679-b2jeow.jpeg

7de2c8bc-9f9b-4b28-aareq2.jpeg

79fb153e-fe16-4bdc-8wofiz.jpeg

Awesome shots, Martin! Thanks again!

• Like 4

New season, new racing series. Well not so far away off the RCKleinserie I raced up to now... What was once the LRP-HPI-Challenge is now (for several years already) the RCK-Challenge. From the GT-Sport class I switch to the GT-Challenge class. While mostly everything stays the same, in this class the tire brand is specified and not free of choice. Also the motor changes. Fdr and body stays the same, very comfortable :)

This is the website: http://rck-solutions.de/index.php?id=63

Last saturday I was running the car again:

img_0412fpf50.jpeg

Since I wasn't (Indoor) Onroad Racing for seven months, I had a rough first battery run. My eyes just couldn't follow this rocket and how it was turning so blistering fast. I had to reduce the steering to 80%. Something I never did before as I cannot drive understeer touring cars. But this time I needed this to turn laps without touching the boards. The track at my club was changed and my rhythm was way off. I got warm in the third run, but had a glitch in my brainware and crashed the car. As result the rear left hub broke. I tried a sloppy repair with cable ties which hold for 15 more laps, but then just collapsed like Magnussens rear suspension in Mexico. Luckily I could stop my car without touching the boards.

The hubs are on my list for a long time now. I just never needed a replacement, because I knew the track so well. Still these are a risk meaning you need to end your day early, like it happened to me last sunday. A new clubmember sat across from me with his Xray X4. Xray designed new hubs for the X4 and I always wanted to analyze them in real life. This was my chance. I asked him and he even had a spare I could have to calmly check all specifications. It was a pleasure! The Tamiya axles will fit with a 1mm shim. The hub has two screwholes on both ends allowing my long arm concept to be carried on plug and play... I saw a problem with the steering arm geometry, but was overall happy with the hub design.

The same day I ordered four hubs and two steering arms. As they arrived my enthusiasm to make this car better ignited again. The hub is nearly perfect suited for my v5. Installed the overall width increased by approximately 2mm each side, not good --> My suspension is already wide enough to perfectly fill modern 190mm body wheel arches, so this is a "problem". Two possibilities to solve that: The standard outer ball bearing stands out 1mm. Using a slimmer one (5x10x3mm) will be the first step. The second is the use of a narrow wheel hex. Right now, I have a standard 5mm thick one in use. Tamiya offers down to 3.5mm versions. I ordered a set of these.

Regarding the steering-arm-problem: It was none. I had a fallacy :lol:.

img_0457a3cap.jpeg

Initially, I planned to go driving today, but then got ill and cancelled. But before I installed the rear hubs and this is how it looks. The car is a bit wide, but would work like that. I don't like the active toe link setup, because the link is more angled and  shorter than my design. Need to find a solution for that.

I also installed the mandatory motor, made setup and gave the shocks a service:

img_0460tmez6.jpeg

A customer from California bought my last v5 conversion I had in stock and I gave him my bumper. I had to replace it (thinking of driving today), so I made an Xray-v5 version for my carbon brace for now:

img_0459naihn.jpeg

With it the car looks a bit standard... I will asap print a new v5-bumper next week:

img_044302dlz.jpeg

Now, I am eagerly awaiting X4'24 steering arms for the front conversion and the narrow hexes :o (I am really inpatient) Also planning to drive this chassis on saturday B)

• Like 4

Right in time the parts arrived for the needed practice day tomorrow:

img_04715qc0j.jpeg

I installed them right away. Everything went as expected:

img_0472z3d1u.jpeg

img_0473wadd0.jpeg

The look is pretty nice. I am extremely thankful towards Xray/Hudy. They still make the best tuning parts for my KR chassis :lol:

img_04741afhg.jpeg

img_04751ce8i.jpeg

Everything installed:

img_0476oic9p.jpeg

img_0477mfcj5.jpeg

The width is now very close to what I had before. It got approximately two tenth of a millimeter wider overall:

img_04792vd4y.jpeg

img_0478ziiy9.jpeg

• Like 3

img_0488ueibc.jpeg

I had a hard time yesterday. The balance changed drastically throughout the run. After several minutes it became nearly impossible to drive. I am very happy to have replaced my wheelhubs with the sturdy Xray versions...

img_0491dxcin.jpeg

As you can see, it all starts pretty neat. Yes, I don’t have the perfect rhythm for this track, but the car has a healthy balance for the first laps. It makes what I want for these laps. Then in the next lap suddenly the balance changes. In my case the rear just gets loose. This is very unwelcome on our track. It somehow is not getting worse for some more laps before increasing with every lap.
Yes, the ETS carpet is brand new and that maybe causes these problems.
In the pits then the tires have accumulated so much lint, that you why it was undriveable. I was not the only driver having these problems. We then decided to vacuum the track, which together with small setup changes allowed three batteries with a normal behaving car before it got worse again. I could add all the rear grip in the world, it still was twitchy.

In conclusion: The body is ruined, the bumper saved a lot of money and the car is now successfully crash tested. With the race coming up next weekend, I will not focus on speed, just on drivability throughout 8 minute runs to make sure to have a nice time. I also hope that a lot of drivers will attend practice right before raceday to scrub in the carpet for when it counts.

• Like 3

@wtcc5 It's great to see continued development. 

An unrelated question - does the x-ray hub fit into C-hub of TRF-type suspension? How it would compare to TRF knuckles?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Honza: Sorry for the late answer, but I was too busy the whole week.

I just imported the file of the Xray hub to the KR-MF file that has the TRF420 suspension. The Xray hub is a direct fit with the same geometry. You will need to shim the drive shaft/axle and I cannot tell exactly if the cardan will collide with the c-hub. The last thing is the location of the steering arm: That is higher than the one of the TRF420 hub.

Last Tuesday I was in Senden again to find a driveable setup:

img_0514ibcbf.jpeg

My first step was to remove the oil from the rear diff to calm the rear down. This advice came from one of our top drivers in the club. During the assembly I left the rear shocktower carbon brace off, also I allow more flex by removing the two screws that connect the upper plate with the droop plate.

img_05156zis9.jpeg

In the beginning the car was good as always, maybe a bit on the understeering side. The tension increased with every lap, but the car kept its good balance. After several minutes the balance got better with every lap. Only after 8-10 minutes it got slightly loose, but still easy to control. Like that I continued to work on the setup. The change from linear to progressive springs in front made it alive. The balance now got a lot better, the car became much better to control and I gained a lot of trust. I tried different hard progressive springs without improvement. Also different anti-roll-bars in the rear and in front were tried. The 1.3mm felt best in front. Like that I could finally run on the limit with a kind of comfort. This was my best run:

img_0521rafrx.jpeg

img_0523gbc6l.jpeg

Afterwards, I somehow lost a tenth and it didn't came back, even with unchanged setup. Maybe the tires were over the top or the track got warmer... I don't know. Overall I am very happy and relieved that the car functions fine again and is kind of fast. With such planted rear I am motivated to try thicker oil in the rear diff again. Tomorrow I need to paint a new body and bring the car up to the required 1320g minimum weight. On Saturday I will scrub in another set of tires and try the thicker diff oil. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

The Xray hub is a direct fit with the same geometry. You will need to shim the drive shaft/axle and I cannot tell exactly if the cardan will collide with the c-hub. The last thing is the location of the steering arm: That is higher than the one of the TRF420 hub

Thank you :) The location of the steering arms is the reason why I'm interested in it - TRF420 hub collides with suspension arm in rally use. I did a workaround by mounting a custom arm upside down, but the X-ray hub seems like a better solution.

• Like 2

One thing I haven't done so far, was to bring my car up to the mandated minimum weight of 1320g. For that I ordered brass and a lightweight body :D The latter shaves off approximately 20 grams and allows me to put these deeper in the car. My chassis is about 105g underweight for this series. Up to now, I used a shorty LiPo, placed it the most left possible in the tub and glued a small weight on the outside of the tub wall. That was enough to balance for the RCKleinserie. Now, I used this opportunity to optimize.

In the first step, the LiPo mount lost some material to allow the battery to touch the spine of the tub. The weight on the outside was removed. The TT-02 tub has a kind of middle plank and a step towards the side. This step is 1mm. I ordered a brass sheet of this thickness and cut it to the shape of the tub. This allows to move 64g as close to the ground as possible:

img_0570x4fi2.jpeg

Unfortunately that wasn't enough and I had to add more weight inside the tub (next to the battery and in front of the servo):

img_056931e41.jpeg

There is maybe a way to replace these weight in the tub.

Then I made the new body. As I like the ZooRacing BWOAH! very much regarding performance and shape, I bought another one, this time as ultralight version. My first idea was to do some kind of JDM design with stickers, like the Japanese war flag, but thinking of this design lead me to think of the Toyota GTone 1998 LeMans livery. I am glad I tried this design. In hindsight I would change some white areas (smaller), but it still looks very nice:

img_0566twfs2.jpeg

I am afraid to run it in the race :rolleyes:

img_0560nydf3.jpeg

img_0559y9evg.jpeg

img_05652fc91.jpeg

Today then I went to Senden to practice a bit, mostly checking/adjusting the car to the weight and scrubbing in a set of new tires. The car likes the weight down low. I was on the same pace and the car was easy to handle. Lets see what tomorrow brings! 

• Like 8

img_0579bbi12.jpeg

I am back from the race. And with a biiiig smile! The car was awesome today.

I made a beginners mistake in the first qualifying by having a lose screw in my active rear toe link. The first twelve laps were fine and fast. Then I lost the screw and the right rear tire had a free choice of toe for the next 16 laps... I couldn’t even go down the straight properly... I somehow managed to finish without damaging the car. Yeah, I checked the screws before, but not this one :rolleyes:

The second qualifyer then was a bit shaky on my side. The car was fine, but I was nervous to ruin that one and drove with a bit off rhythm especially in the fast chicane. It wasn’t too bad and put me top seed. In the third one then I finally was calm and concentrated securing the pole position.

img_0582aicvw.jpeg

img_0588gvfn0.jpeg

The first final was shaky again: "Don’t throw it away!" and more stupid thoughts went through my head. I nailed the start and could pull away. That was calming me down a bit. Seven minutes is a long time, so after some minutes it became a bit of torture to bring it home. I really didn’t want to ruin it with a stupid move. Luckily, I didn’t!

img_0591cpc61.jpeg

I was a bit more calm before the second final. Psychologically, it all went the right direction with the inner voice counting down the last 5 seconds to receive the "tone". My index finger just went full throttle and I was instantly in the "flow". I enjoyed the laps, build a nice gap and started lapping everyone after several minutes. With the closest followers entangled in a fight (and losing time), I came up with two laps more. In the closing two laps, the whole field found themselves in between the same 5 meters of the circuit. I refrained from trying to overtake and just followed them through. That was a nice satisfying run. It also secured my overall win.

img_0605ooiur.jpeg

The last final was the most enjoyable one. I could focus on myself. In pursuit for a 43 lap final, I tried hard to nail every corner, every lap. It all went according to plan until lap 38 were I rolled over the curbs and lost three seconds. The track became slower anyway, so I wouldn’t have made it. This run felt the best of all today. 

img_0607fcc1q.jpeg

img_3561ujcm5.jpeg

It is strange to summarize this day. I as a driver wasn’t up to my full potential until the second and third final, still the car made it so easy for me. It looks kind of slow, but carries a lot of speed through the corners, even off line. When I finally drove it the right way in the second final, it became the second fastest run of the event, only beaten by Daniel Wohlgemuth (several times German champion in different RC classes, ETS winner and two times runner up to become Pro Stock champion, all that data is from 2015, so I am sure he won even more) who was dominating the fastest class of this series: Stock. My car was competing against all kind of high end chassis in the market (A800R, X4'23 & X4'24, ARC, etc.). Today, it was at least on par regarding the mix of stability, middle corner speed, rotation, earliness of acceleration... I was wondering several times how I was possible to pull away so easily from the experienced guys behind, who also hit the line and used the same body/tires/motor. I didn’t expected it to be that way. I hoped for a podium and got so much more with my 6€ tub chassis.

img_0612o0ee8.jpeg

As you can see, I used my old body from spring 2022, being afraid to ruin my new body :lol:

• Like 4

14 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

My car was competing against all kind of high end chassis in the market (A800R, X4'23 & X4'24, ARC, etc.). ..... I hoped for a podium and got so much more with my 6€ tub chassis.

Martin Hudý is taking notes, new X4 is coming with a TT-02 tub 😂

It's really awesome what have you able to achieve with a plastic tub chassis.

Btw, you've already solved the loose end issue, but have you considered trying ball diff or open diff packed with grease? Since each of the differential option has different characteristics, it might be an interesting setup tool.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2023 at 12:02 AM, Honza said:

Btw, you've already solved the loose end issue, but have you considered trying ball diff or open diff packed with grease? Since each of the differential option has different characteristics, it might be an interesting setup tool.

I have been curious about exactly this. An oil filled gear diff builds resistance through viscous friction so it needs some diffing to oppose diffing. The ball diff on the other hand has a lot of static friction and so it oppose diffing instantly. Finally an open diff with grease inside opposes diffing at least in part through the tackiness of the grease and so it could behave almost like a ball diff (it just needs maintenance to reapply the grease that seems to always get centrifuged to the outside).

And I don't feel like a geek at all after what I wrote above :mellow:

@wtcc5 your thread has been going on for years and I am still blown away every time. You seem to keep coming up with innovations for that chassis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you! As long as I have fun, my brain gives its best to come up with something.

On Sunday this car will participate at a new racing series (new for me). I only need a motor to be legal. And as it is the motor of the season in our club, it didn’t hurt to buy it. As a surprise this motor is 20g lighter than its predecessor. This motivated me to optimize the weight placement game I started last time with the brass plate. A second one with 27g was added on the right side. With a weight limit of 1300g I could remove one weight from the left side and now use the new lw version of the BWOAH!.

IMG-0949.jpg
IMG-0950.jpg
IMG-0951.jpg
IMG-0952.jpg

The motor is much stronger than the RCK motor, so I expect to lower the laptimes by 2-3 tenths.

• Like 7

Now the report from last sundays race:

We had a record attendance at our club. The race was a SK-Lauf that allows to qualify for the german championship by our umbrella organization called DMC. As this was the only race in that region, a lot of fast guys showed up (world champion, European champion, ETS overall and single race winners).

The friday evening before, we club members met to prepare everything for the race. After that was finished, I tested the new motor and it was a catastrophe. My rhythm was disturbed by all that power. That is no 17.5t driving. This thing is very fast, more like 13.5t! Four runs later and I still had problems to do a acceptable lap. At least I could keep it off the boards, but it always felt very insecure to drive.

Sunday then started early. I got up quarter past six, then drove to the club. The kitchen was already busy. I prepared my table in my function as technical inspector, then prepared the car for one warm up run. This run felt better than on friday.

At ten o‘clock the first qualifier for my class happened. I made some stupid driving errors in the first laps, then found a bit concentration and drove the fastest lap of the day (in this class): a 9.4s. Not bad. Next time without mistakes was my goal. And it worked. 31L in 5:05,332min. Nice! For the next run I was calmer than before and pushed. Again without hiccups, but this run was slower by 2.5s. The track now changed and steadily lost grip. Another driver had finally found his pace and was half a second faster than me. This settled the qualifiers. I was on pole with Johannes Hirzel in second. The third placed driver on average lost a lap on us.

IMG-0970.jpg

The first final then was thrilling. Johannes chased me without mercy. I was really fighting not to lose the rest of my crappy rhythm. Especially the fast chicane before the straight is a hit or miss. I lost some speed there shortly after halftime and Johannes could drive next to me overlapping my rear with his front. For the next fast left he was on the inside. I made my turn a tad later with the plan to give him space for the inside, but he touched my rear and send my car rearwards into the wall. The rear left couldn’t handle the impact and the upper arm broke. Johannes spun too, but without consequences. Later in the same final he had an incident with another driver and had to retire with a broken front suspension. Even though some guys said that was „instant Karma“, I found that second incident very unfortunate for him (and later for me, too). The third placed driver then won the race.

IMG-0972.jpg

Back in the pits I inspected the damage. Luckily just a broken top arm and a missing ballcup. Easy and fast to replace with my quick-release fastener. The car was also tweak free. Tubchassis for the win!

The second final was thrilling again. This time besides driving bad I had no grip in front (later found ca glue on my front sidewalls). Johannes and I had some super close laps and one where we overtook ourselves several times. It was very nice until I made a mistake (again in the chicane) and he slipped by easily. I couldn’t match his pace with my tire problem and settled for second.

For the last final, I sanded the ca glue off my sidewalls and everything repeated: Good starts from Johannes and me. We pulled away fast from third place. Johannes always pushing me. After about three minutes he found a gap and was through. I could not follow him at first, but then for the first time with this motor found a good rhythm… I closed the gap and could now push him. We aced through all traffic. Unfortunately for me Johannes never flinched and the time was over earlier than I wished this time.

Phew, that was more nerve wrecking than I wished for. I really enjoyed the last final. Overall I got third, because of my and Johannes dnf in the first final.

IMG-0979.jpg

What really grinds my gears, is my bad driving. I really need to practice more! All these pointless mistakes …

7c32c33e-eae7-410a-92ac-03c98c20916d.jpg

• Like 7

Lets start with what the v5 should have been from the beginning (but I didn’t spend enough time earlier this year). Well, when the X4‘23 came out, I was a bit angry with myself. Since the v2 I tried to relocate the dampers more to the chassis center. It never worked, because the LP and ULP damper were always too large. I didn’t check again with the XLP dampers. Well these are finally the right size. So the v5.1 is the real v5. Again every part has changed more or less based on my experiences this year. I will guide you through the changes in the coming days.

Here the overview:

Bildschirmfoto-2023-12-24-um-22-24-12.pn

Most obvious are the new damper and stabilizer locations.
Lets take a closer look on the front:

Bildschirmfoto-2023-12-24-um-22-24-51.pn

For this version I won’t rely on third party anti-roll-bars. Piano wire is so low price and bending these so easy, that a special geometry is my way. Like that I can have all advantages and a low position.

Bildschirmfoto-2023-12-24-um-22-25-32.pn

The outer mount is combined with the shock mount. I use one normal short ballcup and one that needs to be cut shorter to be attached by a single screw to the mount.

Bildschirmfoto-2023-12-24-um-22-26-39.pn

The front bumper was redesigned a lot. After one customer complained about it being not strong enough, I added material and the new mounts for the arb. It will also interlock with the upper bumper plate.

Bildschirmfoto-2023-12-24-um-22-28-49.pn

• Like 5

@ThunderDragonCy : Thanks for the compliment!

Some more pictures of the Anti-Roll-Bar mount and the front suspension:

Bildschirmfoto-2023-12-24-um-22-25-51.pn

Bildschirmfoto-2023-12-24-um-22-25-15.pn

With the switch to Xray hubs I started to use Xray steering arms, too. For my concept (simplicity) I will replace this part with a carbon plate. This enables me to use the same plates front and rear. This plate will feature some lower milled areas & chamfer to maximize angles and geometry:

Bildschirmfoto-2023-12-24-um-22-29-24.pn

Bildschirmfoto-2023-12-24-um-22-26-25.pn

• Like 5