DayRider

M07 diff.

Hay everyone, hope you are all okay.

I'm having to change the diff in my M07 and was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions, do I stick to the stock or is there something better that I could pop in it? Any help would be great.

5 minutes ago, DayRider said:

Hay everyone, hope you are all okay.

I'm having to change the diff in my M07 and was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions, do I stick to the stock or is there something better that I could pop in it? Any help would be great.

The diff in the M07 is the TA06 diff used in multiple models. It's pretty good. Why are you having to change it? 

54471 is the same diff as your kit, but comes with steel internals which are heavier but much stronger than the plastic ones you'll have used in the kit verison. 42259 or 42374 TRF diff o-rings are a worthwhile upgrade to help stop leaking, and if you want to go full bling there's an aluminium cover available 54602. If you what something a bit different (but in all honest more maintenance) there's the TA06 Ball Diff set 54306 will drop right in. Finally there's Tamiya 54372 which is a solid spool.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have a feeling that something is a miss with it, because it is sounds and feels like they might be something wrong. I haven't taken it a part yet so just getting some ideas just incase.

Had it out today for a few laps then it picked up this noise. 

• Sad 1

You won't find a better diff than the kit one but you might find that the plastic internal gears have been stripped, switch to the steel ones and it will be bulletproof (as ThunderDragonCy mentioned, the complete diff kit is widely available and is better value than just the gears).

• Like 2

I'll second the suggestion of steel internal gears. The plastic internal diff gears are a known weak point on the M-07, but the steel gears and crosspins last for ages. I have been running mine regularly for over a year on 13.5t with no visible wear to them at all.

• Like 3

I'm starting the strip down tonight and will see how bad it is. Hopefully if its not that bad, I will swop for steel gears. I could do with some good news, it has been one thing after another lately.

Thanks for everyones input, you are always here for help and support. It really means a lot to me. So here is me wishing you all the very best.👍😊

• Like 3

These are the parts you need.

0YdJU2X.jpg

vT5ZBVT.jpg

Makes for a bomb proof diff. I've been using my M07 most weekends since I built it, and it still feels like new!

GstgXjY.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Oooh nice shinny bits, pitty you can't see it when it's in. Nice one and all said and done, how much is it all?

About £25 in the UK it would seem from a quick google. I may have a spare set if you can't find any.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toyolien said:

About £25 in the UK it would seem from a quick google. I may have a spare set if you can't find any.

That's not as bad as I thought. Looks great.

Not sure if the M07 (still dont own one) gearbox is  exactly the same as the M08 one, but if so, make sure you have put in the two counter gear plastic locating pins that go between the bearings and the gearbox casing. Very common mistake to leave them out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, berman said:

Not sure if the M07 (still dont own one) gearbox is  exactly the same as the M08 one, but if so, make sure you have put in the two counter gear plastic locating pins that go between the bearings and the gearbox casing. Very common mistake to leave them out. 

It is the same but uses different diff oil. I will keep that in mind mate thanks

• Like 1

8 hours ago, berman said:

Not quite sure which bits you mean? Which page/step in the manual would they be?

4 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Not quite sure which bits you mean? Which page/step in the manual would they be?

Page 5 of the manual B3 and page 6 B4, l think that's what he is talking about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

1 hour ago, DayRider said:

Page 5 of the manual B3 and page 6 B4, l think that's what he is talking about.

As I said, I don't have an M07 yet, but in the M08 gearbox it appears it is common for people to forget the two plastic collars (sorry, my memory thought they were pins) B7 and/or B14, so am wondering if the M07 has something similar.

wp7rTjP.jpg

2 hours ago, berman said:

As I said, I don't have an M07 yet, but in the M08 gearbox it appears it is common for people to forget the two plastic collars (sorry, my memory thought they were pins) B7 and/or B14, so am wondering if the M07 has something similar.

wp7rTjP.jpg

Yeah they are the same in the M07, the only thing that is different is the diff oil.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, berman said:

wp7rTjP.jpg

Ah, you had me worried there for a bit! I put the collars in mine, but I couldn't recall putting in any pins!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Ah, you had me worried there for a bit! I put the collars in mine, but I couldn't recall putting in any pins!

Yeah, cannot remember where I found that info, but it made me check mine too!

On 3/5/2021 at 3:32 PM, toyolien said:

These are the parts you need.

0YdJU2X.jpg

vT5ZBVT.jpg

Makes for a bomb proof diff. I've been using my M07 most weekends since I built it, and it still feels like new!

GstgXjY.jpg

Are those the AL cups? And what weight oil did you use?  The kit oil is like goop!

33 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Are those the AL cups? And what weight oil did you use?  The kit oil is like goop!

Cup part number is #54532. I did used the kit diff oil. Was very thick but stopped the wheels from spinning out in the corners. I didn't see the need to change it as I was only using it on a car park. But I've since sold my M07r. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Cup part number is #54532. I did used the kit diff oil. Was very thick but stopped the wheels from spinning out in the corners. I didn't see the need to change it as I was only using it on a car park. But I've since sold my M07r. 

Nice thanks!  I used the kit goop.  Really nasty sticky stuff!

Terry

2 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Nice thanks!  I used the kit goop.  Really nasty sticky stuff!

Terry

It'll be spot on when you drive it. The mistake I made was putting in a 10.5t motor! The front tires lasted 1 battery pack! I then switched to a TBLM 17.5t, and that was much better on the tires.

1 hour ago, toyolien said:

It'll be spot on when you drive it. The mistake I made was putting in a 10.5t motor! The front tires lasted 1 battery pack! I then switched to a TBLM 17.5t, and that was much better on the tires.

Thanks.  I have a silver sport tuned I plan on using.  I don’t need flat out speed, just nice drivability…