simalarion

Generation "You shall NOT play!"

So i was out the other day with my Agrios during Lunch break, as i even added picture off in the "what did you to today" thread, it was soo relaxing and fun to get the mind of Covid-19 and home-office work. So this old lady with a Small fluffy poodle comes my way and as she passes me she say "So i see Daddy is out with his litle Toy" in the exact same voice my Mom used when i played Amiga/Pc Games in my teens, becouse in my Moms mind playing games was something kids would do as and addult it was impossible in her mind to play with "Toys". I also watched my grandmother grow very old die at age 99 and spent much off her days staring out the window watching life happened and was only waiting for a call from us or a visit, that was all. Becouse?, yes i believe now, SHE COULD NOT PLAY, so she would rather sit and just watch out the window.....

I am 46 years old now and i am among the first in the Generation that wanted to play, both RC Cars and Video Games,  our Moms/Dads watched in Horror as we actually did not stop "Playing" so they tried to tell us that not something adults do. Since i was the last Generation to listen to this i ALWAYS fell Guilty going out with my RC having a good time (Somtimes i try to hide away), and that old Lady with the Poodle brought all this up again :(.

Edit: From our generation and forward we actually play with the Children, so its a huge and better difference.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Had same thing last weekend, was out with my son and we both driving our own cars, me a lunchbox, him a dual ridge. Two old women were walking past and I heard one of them say "Look at him playing with kids toys"

I have a hobby I enjoy, and I'm out in fresh air engaging with my son and not hurting anyone, what's the issue ?    What just cause I'm 50 all I should be doing is just eating, sleeping and watching TV living a boring life until I die ?

Then I thought, it's just sad for them that they don't have anything they enjoy to do like that just because of the generation they were born into.

Good job she didn't catch me out skateboarding with my daughter an hour later :D   Mind you it might been better if she had .. fell off and broke my arm  :blink:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

@SuperJoeUK - i feel even worse when non off my 3 daughters are with me as i write,  i then try to hide a bit as i also mentioned. My Mother printed into my head that i am not allowed to play, thats a bit obvious when i think of it today, i never thought off where that guilt came from, its that Generation before me :).

Thjats one thing i will not pass over to my kids, for sure .. 

Hope your arm will turn up ok!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

“I hope I die before I get old...”

Hehe well you do not need much health for  this hobby to be fun or play Pc/Console games for that matter, so i believe it do not need to be so boring to grow old today, so stay in there buddy ;)

• Like 1

Funny you mention this, even as a kid in the 80's and 90's playing with RC cars was frowned upon as 'not cool' where I grew up, so much so that I left the hobby much earlier than I should have. That was as a child for crying out loud!

I carry that same stigma with me now - when using the car on our unpaved road out front, which is busy with walkers, I always worry what they might think of me. When my son is with me in his carrier I make some lame comment that I'm just starting him early.

When out bashing in the local woods, the first time I just kept my head down and ignored everyone in case I caught their sneering glances or mocking comments. The second time, after a bit of reflection and self challenge, I looked up more and engaged with people and I noticed that everyone who passed us was loving it, they thought the car was great fun. And they're right, it is!

It was so relieving to get that sorted in my head. Now I can play with pride, I can finally afford things I couldn't as a kid, and I can enjoy it with a big old grin on my face. And who doesn't like to see a chap smiling?! 😊

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave.

• Like 5

@B.RAD - That is very simillar to my experience. The Generation that often do not get this at all is 70+ now, so we do not see much off them.

But this old Lady brought back all these feelings burried deep down there and i finally realised that this feeling is something i got from that generation (mainly my Mom).

All my age and Younger think its super Cool, my Generation is the first to grow up with Games, starting with C64 & Spectrum 48k (before that it was only lines on Tv that was supose to be Tennis). Our parents always hated the games and thought this Toy for Kids called gaming would be our Doom. Today gaming is a Sport and will probably soon be bigger Sport than football in 5-10 years. I believe the same can be said about RC Sport, it started with 11 years old boys in the 80’s with grasshopper and today its a sport

Yeah I know what you mean, but at the same time that older generation will also be the first to say "do what makes you happy". So my advice is, be happy! Play with a big smile on your face, enjoy it to the full, and anyone who has an issue with someone being happy is a person who's opinion is unimportant! ☺️

• Like 1

@B.RAD - Thats probably why i go a bit bananas with buying Tamiya kits picking this hobby up again after all these years, i to was told it was Toys and i should concentrate on School and getting s job. Why not both our generation can say today, but that was just not how my Moms generation was looking at this.

Do i have this guilty feeling still - oh Yes

Do i ignore it - Yes

edit: Actually just found out that one off my Friends from 7-9th grade school is into RC sports, he stills live in my hometown (which i do not) so i will for sure hook up with him when i visit Mom next time. Then she can see my new Toys 😄

• Like 1

Ahh the wisdom of people who act and behave based purely on what how the majority of other people act rather than based on what they would actually enjoy doing.

It's not just an old person thing though. I know plenty of middle aged men that think I'm some kind of geek for playing with RC cars while they sit and spend hours playing xbox/PS which they consider totally normal. Reason? Because that's what the biggest majority of their friends and peers do. The thing that involves stepping out of line least is the thing that is always deemed most acceptable.

The best my ex could ever come up with when objecting to pretty much anything was based on what other people would think about it rather than her own feelings.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

The best my ex could ever come up with when objecting to pretty much anything was based on what other people would think about it rather than her own feelings.

My past hobbies included partying hard, drinking late, listening to loud live music, and perusing the all-you-can-eat buffet of college women.

My wife is glad to see me at home with a few beers and an RC car...

Terry

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

My past hobbies included partying hard, drinking late, listening to loud live music, and perusing the all-you-can-eat buffet of college women.

Terry

Thats me to, because that was accepted and what you where suppose to do.

i wonder how many Kits i was drinking up in my 20’s, i was working as a Chef and was drinking hard, probably 2 decent kits every weekend, right down the toilet hehe

• Like 1

When I was a kid a punishment was being sent to your bedroom, now it's being sent outside that's the punishment! 

Kids are glued to the screen now, very sad 

• Haha 3

We only run our cars at home or club events. All the nrighbours think its cool though, little do they know how much it will cost them when their kids are hooked.

When talking to others about it i usually open with the 1:1 race car and then say i race rc with my son since hes too young for real racing but got to start him early. That is usually acceptable for prople, not that i should care about what others think.

• Like 1

My wife and I have a standing agreement to let each other know if we look bad, smell bad, sound cranky and judgmental, or pick up disgusting habits.  We've even asked our kids to police us so we grow old maybe a little more gracefully.

• Like 2

I take my  Dynamog and Wrangler for a walk through the local woods. My wifes business is dog boarding and walking so all the locals find it highly amusing when I take my toys out for a walk!!

• Haha 1

Just now, speedy_w_beans said:

My wife and I have a standing agreement to let each other know if we look bad, smell bad, sound cranky and judgmental, or pick up disgusting habits.  We've even asked our kids to police us so we grow old maybe a little more gracefully.

Nooo DISgracefully!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Frog Jumper said:

Terry

I worked in the Hotel/Catering Industry (RIP) so I was looking after you lot:D

Also I have to say I hate football, I cant understand how people can spend so much time watching 22 overpaid @[:l,(9&7hBy6yhg@'s running around once  a week and being paid hundreds of thousands of £'s, and then spend the next 7 days discussing the fact that their team were robbed.( No offence intended or implied) so I'm happy with Fleetwood Mac on CD, A JIS screwdiver and an RC model/Static kit and a vivid imagination.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Ok. I had to save that last one to my phone🤣

I was lucky with this hobby when it comes to Dad as well as Mom when she was still with us. I didn’t really get into R/C until I was out of high school and had jobs, but Mom felt that as least I was blowing money on stuff like this and model cars vs drugs and booze.

Now where I’ve been concerned when I have gone into areas to use my crawlers where the terrain would be appropriate for their use and have people think I’m some sort of creeper. I used to go on work/school days off from my retail job when I would be among the few out in the parks. As Mom started getting sick and my hours at that retail job started to drop off I went out less and less. Now if I go out, it’ll be running my Bandit with a friend who has a Losi 8ight E 3.0, then my Stampede, Clod, and Lunchbox here at home for now since I have a PICC line for the next month (had a nasty case of MRSA😨) but want to go back out when I can with the Jimny, SCX10, Telluride, and Losi Crawlers once the line is out, the opinion of others be danged!  

Now billing related to all of this will do far more to affect that over this than anything else🤬

• Like 1

9 hours ago, simalarion said:

I am 46 years old now and i am among the first in the Generation that wanted to play, both RC Cars and Video Games,  our Moms/Dads watched in Horror as we actually did not stop "Playing" so they tried to tell us that not something adults do. Since i was the last Generation to listen to this i ALWAYS fell Guilty going out with my RC having a good time (Somtimes i try to hide away), and that old Lady with the Poodle brought all this up again :(.

Good observation! I think you hit on something. My experiences are much the same.  My grandmother died on Christmas two years ago at the age of 97. I loved her, but I don't think she had a day of fun in her whole life. My mother was quite the opposite of her, but is the still the last of the "you shall not play" generations so there is a disconnect between her and I on that matter. I never did understand her thinly veiled disgust at my hobby room or RC collection but perhaps its just down to her generation. Perhaps part of it is just how completely targeted and enveloped our generation was by all the magnificent toy properties that were available to us. In the US, President Reagan's deregulations of advertising was a catalyst in creating some immensely popular toy properties that maintain to this day. I still love me some gen 1 Transformers, lol.

2 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

We've even asked our kids to police us so we grow old maybe a little more gracefully.

My grandmother, while sweet to me, was wildly argumentative to my mother (her daughter) a grew more so as she aged. She also talked non-stop. My mother and I have a similar agreement only a bit more, um, harsh...along the lines of "if I ever become like my mother, take out back and put me out of my misery". Of course she also talks non-stop but I refuse to go all "Old Yeller" on her. Silence is the better part of valor.

• Like 3

Why do people feel the need to give you their opinions when they walk passed? I've had it loads of times I have a massive park on my doorstep with boating lakes and cafes and on the opposite side there is a little corner that has raised humps (to stop the travelling community parking up and trashing the place) but it is perfect for rc bashing/crawling it's out of the way so you can be left alone but like the rest above you get people every now and then rattling on under their breath "shouldn't be allowed" and the ban enjoyment brigade "should be banned" so I started to go over there at 5am......and I still had these opinionated morons passing me mumbling! 

• Like 1

I once had a guy walk past while i was using my Wild Willy 2 in my local park. He stopped and jokingly said "Aren't you a bit old (I'm 43) for one of those". I just smiled and handed him my transmitter. You should have seen his face when he pulled the trigger and Willy popped a wheelie... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3