simalarion

Generation "You shall NOT play!"

edit: Went a bit to off topic there so i removed it again. But regarding RC i will say like Samantha Fox « Nothing Gonns Stop Me Now». And good night

• Like 1

I’m used to this type of nonsense from people in general. People think I ride a “kids bike” since I like 20” Bmx. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, simalarion said:

i wonder how many Kits i was drinking up in my 20’s

I have a $1300 digital audio field recorder on my desk.  I bought it 15 years ago???  Now it’s worth maybe $100???  Probably less...

Terry

I had a friend that met their gorgeous wife whilst running an RC car.

They got into the hobby after a break-up as they always were interested in the cars I had and wanted one for themselves to fill some time. 

Then 6 or so months later when running the truck at the beach a little kiddy came over asking questions. He was letting them have a closer look when the babysitter came over to see what was happening and the rest is history. 

It probably did help that he was an athlete/ part time model at the time.. but I’m sure it was the RC car that sealed the deal.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

In the end, I always wonder why folks don't leave other people alone? What business is it of theirs what others are doing as long as its not affecting them? Why the need to mutter negative comments? If one doesn't have something positive to say about it, they can keep it to themselves. I've researched the thought processes behind it to understand that mentality, but I'll never truly "get it".

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

In the end, I always wonder why folks don't leave other people alone? What business is it of theirs what others are doing as long as its not affecting them? Why the need to mutter negative comments? If one doesn't have something positive to say about it, they can keep it to themselves. I've researched the thought processes behind it to understand that mentality, but I'll never truly "get it".

Yes you stil have that as a general thing in this group off ppl, but the ppl in that group naging about that we should not play with Toys is dying out (for the most).

But yes its always been that big group off observers, i remember in my 20’s that group off ppl was knowing more about what i said and did on a night out than i did myself,  i on the other hand i often did not even know they where at the same party because i didnt talk to them or interact with them, still they needed to go on and on on about what happened and what was said, i always thought it was because they where boring ppl that had no fun themself so they had to «breath» trough others, for the same reason i also think they jugde others very fast and want to «bring them down» to their lvl and understanding off life. Thats why we have Religion, to controll the sheeps (us).

Must be the same group that is very in to Reality programs like Big Brother, i could Never care less about what ramdom douchbags does and say... 

When I was about 17, I went to kit car show in London. One of the kit manufacturers had a Cobra Replica with a 302cu (5litre) V8 in it. very nice, and very expensive. Just behind the gearstick on the central tunnel was a little plaque with the following inscribed on it - "The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys", the inference being that we never really grow out of enjoying toys, they just get more expensive as we get older. 

• Like 3

What I've often wondered is, what do people like that do in their free time? Watch TV? Read gossip magazines? Stare blankly into space? Endlessly scroll through social media on their phones?

My hobbies, to me, are nearly as vital as eating. They provide nourishment of a different sort. They challenge me, fascinate me, and fulfill me. Working on model cars keeps my hand/eye coordination sharp, and going outside to drive them is at least a little bit of exercise. Not to mention the fact that figuring out problems and sorting them out keeps my mind sharp and my spirits up. There is no aspect of my time spent "playing with toy cars" that doesn't make my life better in some way.

And if someone wants to belittle that, that's their problem, not mine. Besides, if you make fun of my toy cars, I won't let you play with them. ;)

• Like 6

11 hours ago, markbt73 said:

And if someone wants to belittle that, that's their problem, not mine.

I agree. I wonder about the mindset of someone who not only feels the need to pass critical judgement on a complete stranger enjoying a harmless activity, but to also voice that judgement.

It's likely and probably lucky that they aren't in charge of anything important.

One should probably simply smile and offer their sincerest condolences at the tragic loss of their sense of joy.

• Like 2

When I was in my teens in the 80's I had my Hornet which was acceptable, but spending hours on the C64 in the evenings was deemed a waste of time by my parents. "Get off that computer and do your homework, that computer won't help you get a job!"

Each time I'm over at my parent's place now, fixing their laptop / ipad / iphone from whatever they have done to it, I always remind them of what they said to me in the 80s. Also my job is entirely computer-based, so it's lucky I got as much education in computers as I did! Mind you I studied Architecture instead of Computer Science so that was all my own fault.

As for the cars, well my 80-yr-old dad races RC yachts, so there is nothing wrong with my car collection thank goodness.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 11:17 AM, simalarion said:

edit: Went a bit to off topic there so i removed it again. But regarding RC i will say like Samantha Fox « Nothing Gonns Stop Me Now». And good night

I'm always interested in anything Samantha Fox has to say. There was a bit of overlap of my hobbies in my teens with 'tasteful' posters of Sam Fox. Tasteful. Yes.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, c64orinoco said:

When I was in my teens in the 80's I had my Hornet which was acceptable, but spending hours on the C64 in the evenings was deemed a waste of time by my parents. "Get off that computer and do your homework, that computer won't help you get a job!"

Each time I'm over at my parent's place now, fixing their laptop / ipad / iphone from whatever they have done to it, I always remind them of what they said to me in the 80s. Also my job is entirely computer-based, so it's lucky I got as much education in computers as I did! Mind you I studied Architecture instead of Computer Science so that was all my own fault.

As for the cars, well my 80-yr-old dad races RC yachts, so there is nothing wrong with my car collection thank goodness.

I also can thank «play» with programming, paint programs, hardware interest and games on spektrum 48k, C64, Amiga for my work today that i had for 15 years now. So yes, Oh Boy our parents where so wrong!. So i learned you should not automaticly bann what you dont understand right away, even if my daughters start to blog/influencer... The Horror!

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 6:01 PM, toyolien said:

I once had a guy walk past while i was using my Wild Willy 2 in my local park. He stopped and jokingly said "Aren't you a bit old (I'm 43) for one of those". I just smiled and handed him my transmitter. You should have seen his face when he pulled the trigger and Willy popped a wheelie... 

This is the single best take on this.

My father was a professional pilot, licensed to fly every make and model of fixed-wing aircraft known to western man. He also held an ATP, instrument, aerobatic instructor, etc. licenses. He also had been a professional scuba diver.

The man had skills that I would have committed terrible crimes to have had, and I never understood what was so fascinating about weekend TV. I would have spent every cent and waking moment, doing inverted flat spins in a Pitts Special.

Yet he had no more interest in flying than a bus driver has in bus trips.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/5/2021 at 2:10 PM, simalarion said:

So this old lady with a Small fluffy poodle comes my way and as she passes me she say "So i see Daddy is out with his litle Toy"

I'm of this view, if someone feels they need to pass comment, it means they have some interest.

My money, is she either, secretly wanted a go, or jealous you where out having fun, or both!! 

We found this on our ,Exhibition - have a go, days with the Glasgow RC Club.

-Oh you're playing with toy cars...

- Aye, but you can have a shot if you want.

- CAN I.....😃

Pretty similar to ⬇️

On 3/6/2021 at 12:01 AM, toyolien said:

I once had a guy walk past while i was using my Wild Willy 2 in my local park. He stopped and jokingly said "Aren't you a bit old (I'm 43) for one of those". I just smiled and handed him my transmitter. You should have seen his face when he pulled the trigger and Willy popped a wheelie

No one I know of, has ever said "NO Thanks " 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

@Wooders28 - You are right for the most part here especially those of my age and younger, though we where brought up learning we should not play with Toys growing up most off us wanted to, so we do not need to be asked Twice if its looks lie fun ... 

Those 70+ now (which is my Mother Generation) are much much harder to convince because they where both told not to play and get a propper jobb and they never really did have somthing to play with like us either (Master of the Univers, RC Cars, Playmo, console games and so on) so they do not understand it. For crying out loud just making them use a smart  phone is hard  :lol:.

Edit. Tons off Typos, as usual i do not see them before after a post, sure there is a lot stil but i do my best :)

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2021 at 6:50 PM, moffman said:

Why do people feel the need to give you their opinions when they walk passed? I've had it loads of times I have a massive park on my doorstep with boating lakes and cafes and on the opposite side there is a little corner that has raised humps (to stop the travelling community parking up and trashing the place) but it is perfect for rc bashing/crawling it's out of the way so you can be left alone but like the rest above you get people every now and then rattling on under their breath "shouldn't be allowed" and the ban enjoyment brigade "should be banned" so I started to go over there at 5am......and I still had these opinionated morons passing me mumbling! 

**** good question. 

My guess: These people were taught that they had to give up things they loved for one reason or another and they suffered a loss for it.  They were cut off from joy by some external pressure...and they did their best to accept it.  When they see someone who was never the victim of that kind of thinking, it triggers resentment or jealousy. Rather than face this,  they adopt the lens of the "supposed to" police that came after them once upon a time.  It's sad! There are no promises about how long we get to ride this blue marble around the sun so find some joy wherever you can find it.  If someone criticizes you for it, just be kind to them because they are missing out on something you have. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Smokescreen38 said:

There are no promises about how long we get to ride this blue marble around the sun so find some joy wherever you can find it.  If someone criticizes you for it, just be kind to them because they are missing out on something you have. 

Rule #1:  have fun
Rule #2:  see rule #1.

Terry

• Like 3

In the words of Tamiya themselves "Toys they're not!".

I love taking my RCs out and about whether they be cars, planes, trucks or whatever. I see it as a great opportunity to get others hooked and let them discover the massive amount of fun they have been missing! 

I'm proud of my Hobby and feel privileged to be some sort of ambassador while out and about.

There's always someone that 'doesn't get it'  whatever you are into but that's no different to anyone's hobbys/interests.

I'm also into classic cars (VWs in particular) and mountain biking and have run into others that don't get why I'd drive an older car with no airbags, aircon, is loud and doesnt even a stereo, they also don't understand why you'd pay so much for a bike and still have to pedal it :).....my view is that I feel privileged to have an understanding of just how special all these things are and that I'll always enjoy them. If i can interest others, great! 

I say get out there and proudly have fun! 

Cheers

Kurt

• Like 3

I had a woman walk past and mutter to me when I was out with my two boys, 'they must have cost a lot of money'. Two Aqroshots, so hardly extravagant. Perhaps she just wanted to say something and I'm a bit sensitive, but I was so annoyed that suggestion of 'spoiling the kids', we now stand at the far side of the park so that people don't walk past so often. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Cas446 said:

I had a woman walk past and mutter to me when I was out with my two boys, 'they must have cost a lot of money'. Two Aqroshots, so hardly extravagant. Perhaps she just wanted to say something and I'm a bit sensitive, but I was so annoyed that suggestion of 'spoiling the kids', we now stand at the far side of the park so that people don't walk past so often. 

it could also be economic jealously. Maybe a purchase like that is extravagant for them? I've certainly had periods of my life where money has been very tight and it can seem unfair when you see others spending freely and you can't

48 minutes ago, Cas446 said:

Even if i do not want to admint it as i se myself as an "Tough Guy" i am to very sensitive to these type of remarks but that is aslo becouse (as i just figured out as i write in first post) that my brain is deep down programmed to 1. I have Toys 2. i should not play as the parents of my generation strongly belived,  this mainly becouse they never had such Toys themself (im 46 now), thats why i feel better when im out driving with kids and feel like hide a bit away from crowd when kids are not with me.

I think Very many in the generation 70+ is a lost cause regarding Playing with RC, so if i was about to give that old Lady in the first post my controller and said "Here give it a spin" i would just get anohter sour remark, im 100% sure of that, but they dont get out much anymore ;) (and yes ofc this is not the case for all, as with all things we are alle individuals "im`not " ). For my Generation that was the last to learn that you should not Play with Toys " Got to school and get a propper job, forget your Toys now" are on the other hand very often not hard to ask Twice, though i think many off us can be hard to ask "playing" to as i know many off my friends are (but not as impossible mission as 70+ often seem to be). As for the millenials and up i belive what we saw as "play" is often actullay jobs now, Playing video Games is Sport with big money, Making Games are big money, Blogging is big money, Youtubers and on and on ... All things my generation where told not to Play with, but many off us did anyway ofc :).

But i think you as me should just ignore these thougts completely and just let them talk, right around the next corner you will meet ppl that are not ********, Just like wrote here the other day in the post "So`What did you do today":

Went out with Top-Force for a spinn tonight (alone), most off the snow melted away so i was some asphalt with gravel (we constantly put gravel on top off snow so when it melt during spring your left wtih a lot off gravel on the asphalt) and some ice to spinn around on. Even got a litle crowd this time and i even got to drive the Top-Force between a stranger Lady’s legs,  by the sound off it she enjoyed it and said she now should re-consider getting a dog, i then i told her Top-Force would never **** on her carpet either. Told this to Wife when i came back home and she said she had no idea it was a babe magnet i was building, well me neither.. "

I already expreienced another Anyoing thing though but thats a different thing completely, kids starting to chase my precious RC Car :). Other than that try to ignore that feeling when ignorant ppl want to remark and consentrate on the positive feedback wich it should be a hole lot more off when you stick your head out in crouds, easier said than done ofc ... 

What I noticed: when driving your RC car alone people don't get it and make remarks. When driving in groups, during a crawler meet for example, people gather to look and are enthousiastic about what they see. 

1 hour ago, yogi-bear said:
2 hours ago, Cas446 said:

it could also be economic jealously. Maybe a purchase like that is extravagant for them? I've certainly had periods of my life where money has been very tight and it can seem unfair when you see others spending freely and you can't

Interesting theory. One word sums up most of the negative interactions I had with folks over RC while out and about: annoyed. If two folks are tossing a ball back and forth at the park, passers by don't blink. Same with most any sport really. Pull out an RC and people just seem annoyed by it. Perhaps its the economic jealousy. Perhaps its the "strangeness" about it. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen someone with an RC vehicle in the past 15 years other than myself/wife/daughter. Perhaps its just too "geeky" or "nerdy" and it makes them uncomfortable. This reaction is similar to a common person being exposed to cosplay or a comic-con. While others feel a certain way about I'm doing when it doesn't concern nor affect them is quite the question.

• Like 1

This struck a cord with me. Firstly I dont understand why people dont find this small engineering fun and interesting. Secondly I also feel how some of you state - being in some way ashamed of playing with RC vehicles in the open. I mostly fly helicopters and planes now but I still have a few cars, maybe buy/sell one or two a year. My neighbours love my micro heli and often ask when I will be flying it next, especially when their young grandson is visiting, but I would never run a car in the street for all the reasons stated here. My larger helis get flown at a private field and that's where I also run my cars or at least the offroad / rally ones, safe from sneering comments and passers by. But what a waste this is, for maybe if we do more of it in the open, then perhaps more people would start to get interested in this fascinating hobby - but alas I am too ashamed to be that leader.  But on the positive side, I also have a 1/5th scale nitro road bike which can't be run at the field so I go and hide at the back of an industrial estate and run it there. Happily enough those (very) few who do pass and stop are always nice to me and find the bike really interesting - myself I almost have palpitations as they approach fearing derision and "get of here , your not a kid" remarks!

Anyway I will disappear back in the shadows now :)

• Like 2