simalarion

Generation "You shall NOT play!"

This is a really interesting topic - thanks @simalarion :)

My parents are in their 70's and are well used to my interest in RC, model kits, lego, Transformers, Gundam etc - but although they never say it, I can tell they think I'm too old to be "playing with my toys" and that I should grow up. That rejection and "humiliation" I feel means that whenever anyone genuinely asks me about my RC cars or to see anything I've made I automatically think they are mocking me and I'll refuse and stop the conversation, which just makes the matter worse really.

The generational thing is an interesting one - my take on it is that kids brought up after the war were living in very austere times and there just was no money for toys or luxuries, so if you wanted to have some fun you had to go out and make it for yourself for free. If you saw a kid playing with a nice toy they were evidently very privileged and the natural thing to feel is jealousy and resentment - and so the association sticks. My mum would always tell me (usually when I'd complain about going to college in the morning) that when she was 16 she was forced out to work to bring in money for the family (she was the eldest of 4) so she never got to go to catering college like she had always dreamed of. Then when her siblings got older, times were better, so they got to go (and had better and more toys as kids) so she felt resentment to them too. Our generation was really the first to experience childhood with the benefits of a disposable income and an industry geared to making toys for kids. So they (our parents) were seeing all this stuff (and were being pressured by advertising and us!) to buy all these cool things for their kids - all the things they would have loved but were never allowed or able to have. It's actually quite similar to the whole thing we feel now trying to capture all the things we wanted as kids with our re-releases etc, but the difference being were weren't told as kids "don't be stupid - there's no way you can have that!" which our parents probably were. So we see a fun opportunity, they would see denial, envy and disappointment. 

On a personal level, I totally agree with @Busdriver as I never have and never will understand how grown men running basically playing tag with a ball can be considered a serious and adult "sport" that allows them to look down on you if you disagree, yet making, restoring, and employing crafts to build, paint and run a RC car or model kit or whatever is a geeky childs toy that deserves you being mocked and laughed at. btw - I have no problem with people enjoying football, I just don't get it myself :) 

We couldn't have kids, so I never get to have the excuse of bringing the kids with me to go out and "play with my toys" so I can be quite conspicuous when I'm out - and I, like a lot of the others on here, will tend to hide away in a corner somewhere, but people really do seem to want to go out of their way to get a little snide comment out at your expense. I do try to let it go and figure that they must just have some bitterness inside caused by something that makes them feel resentful or like they deserve to "bully" others, but it's really hard to sometimes. But there are exceptions to every rule. One time I was out with my friend, we were running our crawlers up and down this steep bank in a local park that lead down to a stream. We got the occasional person walk past and look "knowingly" at us, and the odd kid that wanted a closer look which we happily obliged with. Then we had the lady and her husband come over, both in their mid to late 60's I'd guess and she asked "what are you playing with?" I braced myself for the condescending remarks as she looked over and down the bank: "Oh wow! Those are amazing! I've been telling my husband I want us to get some of these for us to play with when we come here. Can I have a closer look?" And so began a lovely chat with her as we told her what the differences were between the trucks we had, what good models were to look for, websites to go to an so on. It was fantastic! :) 

There's a lot of call (quite rightly) to be more tolerant of on another, but it does unfortunately seem that society puts a big caveat on that of "as long it is what we agree with and like." If people could just accept that we are all different, we all have different likes, dislikes, different backgrounds and experiences that have forged who we are today and you might not ever change that, but that that's ok, and as long as no harm comes to anyone, just be accepting of that -  wow - wouldn't that be a great world to live in. There'd be a local model shop on every street corner and RC parks at the end of each road, and no football grounds anywh.... dammit - nearly succeeded ;) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@jonboy1 - For some Obscure reason the Ok things to do for my generation (atleast in Norway), was to go out on town at Weekends and drink up all our money, that and Watch football (Sports in general was OK as long it was not Sports we where learned was noit apropiate to watch like figure skating and so on ofc), often those things combined.  So that was what i was doing, Would i prefer to Continiue my RC sport, play Dungen & Dragons, play PC games on big Lan as kids to today?, reply is Obvious Yes. Wasted far to much time and money on that Alchohol and Tipping on matches football that i did not even care about . Do not know the English word for it but it Norway we did a bet on 12 foobball matches that was often from English Premier league actually, after betting on Saturdays we where watching a fooball match and was updated on all the other games while drinkning, we also had to pretend to have a "favorite" football team so we could argue, mainly those was Man U, Tottenham, Newcaslte (which i picked, dont know reason), Nothingham forest and Leeds. Then i had to pretend to care who Won or not, many was so into this they could start fight and "cry" rest fo the day if their team "lost", why they did care at all i have no clue, who got that leather ball inside the Nett i could not care less about, those ppl playing the very game did not even remotely have somthing to do with my life either, so i did not get it at all ... 

Today i Play with RC Cars, play Pc/console GAmes (alone/with frieds and with my kids) and i even is in s D & D Group playing bord games though we exhanged out Pizza and Cola with Sushi and Beer ;), that is Roleplaying for those that are not familliar with it, always wanted to play it when i was young but that was not accepted at all, then you where a true "Nerd" and in my time that was a bad thing.  But that was a lot off wasted years doing stuff i did not eve like for some Obscure stupid guilt feeling on what you could and could not do. 

• Like 2

This is one of the best threads in a long time. I am 63 ( well next week), and my parents are 96 and 93. I have been making models of one sort or another since I was about 8. In that time ( though not recently due to dementia) my father who was a very keen and good amateur sportsman would dismiss my attempts as not a real hobby just putting things together. His idea of modelling was to get a block of wood and turn it into a yacht, that was crap at sailing and looked like 💩. I bought my own first RC when I was 20/21, a sand scorcher I don’t think I ever even told my dad about it or any subsequent planes, cars or boats. They would have had a kitten fit regarding the cost after all a block of pine and an old sheet only cost pence. Make do and mend!!

Time has moved on and I must admit I have always been wary of using any RC in a public area. I live near St Albans where there is a public model boating pond. An example of interference came when an old lady with a poodle ( is there a theme here) told me off because my model boat on the model boat pond was scaring the ducks. The have a pond almost half a mile long to swim on but no they congregate on mine!!!

I live in Croxley Green and we have a public RC plane site. Little used now but it was great fun. There were times when you were not able to fly and as long as you stuck to them no aggravation. Also I noticed that if there were a crowd of flyers people would come across to chat however if I was on my own that is when I would get comments.

finally we get to cars. Before the pandemic I used to go out early on a Saturday or Sunday morning to a park with 4 tennis courts, a mini skate park, a basketball court and a long loose tarmac drive with speed bumps. As you can imagine multiple types of car. I als have woods for trail running as well as the Moor where I used to fly. Oh and a river and a canal. So why aren’t I out every day, I think it’s the amounts of people around and the sarcastic comments as listed by other posters. I also get annoyed when the father of some little oik gets upset because I won’t let him have a go with my 20 mph jet boat or 40mph raptor!!! Apart from the danger there’s the potential cost when it goes wrong and you can bet your bottom dollar 💵 they wouldn’t offer to pay for the damage. 
My final point is to do with money. I am very fortunate in that I have a job, no mortgage etc etc so can afford to indulge my hobbies. I get embarrassed sometimes when someone asks the question “how much was it mister” . My Losi Raptor cost more than many people earn in a week!!!

Having said all the above as lockdown eases I am going to make big efforts to get out and play. At the moment there are just too many people out and about.

• Like 4

DSCF6219.thumb.JPG.91b921776e658446b88653070f00a1f7.JPG

It's all about perception. I don't expect anybody gives this guy grief about flying his toy just for the fun of it. In fact I expect most people would bite his arm off if offered a go. I'm not jealous at all. Honest... No, really...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, simalarion said:

we also had to pretend to have a "favorite" football team so we could argue, mainly those was Man U, Tottenham, Newcaslte (which i picked, dont know reason), Nothingham forest and Leeds. Then i had to pretend to care who Won or not, many was so into this they could start fight and "cry" rest fo the day if their team "lost", why they did care at all i have no clue, who got that leather ball inside the Nett i could not care less about, those ppl playing the very game did not even remotely have somthing to do with my life either, so i did not get it at all ... 

Today i Play with RC Cars, play Pc/console GAmes (alone/with frieds and with my kids) and i even is in s D & D Group playing bord games though we exhanged out Pizza and Cola with Sushi and Beer ;), that is Roleplaying for those that are not familliar with it, always wanted to play it when i was young but that was not accepted at all, then you where a true "Nerd" and in my time that was a bad thing.  But that was a lot off wasted years doing stuff i did not eve like for some Obscure stupid guilt feeling on what you could and could not do. 

This reminded me of something - when I was in junior school (7-11 years old) all the boys were passionate about football. Every lunchtime and breaktime they would charge out with their footballs and get a game in. This obviously involved picking their teams, so the two most popular boys would be captains, then in order of popularity (disguised as skill) they would pick who they wanted. Somehow I was always picked last (maybe it had to do with me constantly asking who the most popular boys' favourite football team was (Man U - obv)) and I was always an odd number, so my position was.........goal post. It was ridiculous, but if you wanted to appear to be part of the "cool group" you had to "play" football. 

The other thing I never really understood was playing for hours every day on console games. Now, I was addicted to Gran Turismo 3, and I still love the odd game of Zelda, 1080 etc (yeah, I've still got my PS2 and N64) but I would much rather being "doing" something rather than sat in-front of a screen. And it makes me sad for the younger generation who see this as something normal - our friends 3 year old knows how to use Netflix to watch Paw Patrol episodes one after the other and his older sister who's 7, has a fit if she is naughty and looses her Youtube time. My friends dad was like my hero - he made and flew model aircraft, rc cars, model trains and would take us to all the shows and events. Now he takes his grandkids out and does the same with them. My dad was never interested in anything I was - his idea of quality time with me was me tidying his stock room while he was working upstairs in the shop on a Saturday. I would have loved to have shared a hobby with him.

Now, where did I put the number for my psychologist...... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Old Zelda game is great :) . Biggest problem with Games and MMORPG (massive online mutliplayer RPG ) in general is that when you turn the power off its gone, so all i "created" was gone as fast at the game is over or outdated, so you are only left with a memory off it or som old save games that do not work anymore.

Tamiya Kits is great that way, that you can build something with your ownd hands and be creative, this hole prossess is very satisfying to me. And that Box art did something with my head when i was i Kid :), also found out now that i love to drive them, i would have the best time in my life if i had a propper course to drive on with camping chairs/friends that are  into this, a lot off Beer and a sunny day ... would be great.

edit: And @Tamiya please stop this Pre-painted Lexan included nonsence :), i think Tamiya is kind off removing themself away from the very Tamiya idea when doing so, alteast also include a clear one ... can quite get over this it seems :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadInventor said:

DSCF6219.thumb.JPG.91b921776e658446b88653070f00a1f7.JPG

It's all about perception. I don't expect anybody gives this guy grief about flying his toy just for the fun of it. In fact I expect most people would bite his arm off if offered a go. I'm not jealous at all. Honest... No, really...

Looks like Duxford on a sunny day. Happy memories 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Looks like Duxford on a sunny day. Happy memories 

Very much so. Except that we were up very early to get there, so my son managed to sleep through the mass flypast at the end, then woke up about 2 minutes after it had finished. Tried to wake him and he just wouldn't. How do you sleep through about 30,000hp worth of piston engines with sub exhausts cruising by ?

I wonder what strangers would say if they visit my hobby room. RC cars, a huge Manga collection, a lot of consoles...

Somehow I still enjoy everything from my youth.

As a teacher at least the Manga collection and the consoles get some positive comments from some students. The toy cars not. Old people never said anything bad about my hobby, yet. Yeah, for my mom (and wife) it is wasted money. My dad and both uncles are happy to drive my cars, but play with other toys, like kites and wings, surf- and wakeboards. 

Grumpy people always spread hate, no matter what age... But I am sure if I am 80 or older I will not see sense in the stuff other generations do with all their digital virtual augmented reality and holograms :lol:

1 hour ago, MadInventor said:

Very much so. Except that we were up very early to get there, so my son managed to sleep through the mass flypast at the end, then woke up about 2 minutes after it had finished. Tried to wake him and he just wouldn't. How do you sleep through about 30,000hp worth of piston engines with sub exhausts cruising by ?

Ive seen the massed flypast several times at Duxford. I belonged to the friends of Dxford and used to go to all the shows. I've forgotten the most Spitfires (85 years old today I believe) ive seen but if memory serves me it was 18. But not just that there were were numerous Hurricans, P51's and of course the Duxford Jester the Bearcat. It is the most amazing spectacle and comemorates an unbelievable conflict. It also shows how quickly things can be developed in times of war. The Spitfire went from 900 odd horsepower for the prototype to 2300hp for the Mk24, in not more than 5 years. In fact there is a paralell to be drawn with the Covid 19 vaccines pioneered in the UK. They would have taken years to come into use under normal circumstances but I am happily wearing the badge that says I have been vaccinated in a year...

1 hour ago, wtcc5 said:

Grumpy people always spread hate, no matter what age...

Not @Grumpy pantssurely:rolleyes:

Edited by Busdriver
  • Haha 2

I don’t care what people think.  If they have a snide remark I can usually lob a crude reply right back. 

The meanest I’ve seen people get is when someone is flying a drone. Once I saw a guy at the beach flying his drone. In the time that I chatted with him, three people came up to complain about it. 

11 hours ago, Shodog said:

I don’t care what people think.  If they have a snide remark I can usually lob a crude reply right back. 

The meanest I’ve seen people get is when someone is flying a drone. Once I saw a guy at the beach flying his drone. In the time that I chatted with him, three people came up to complain about it. 

I think the problem with drones is the cameras and the bad flying behaviour of a lot of idiots.

13 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Ive seen the massed flypast several times at Duxford. I belonged to the friends of Dxford and used to go to all the shows. I've forgotten the most Spitfires (85 years old today I believe) ive seen but if memory serves me it was 18. But not just that there were were numerous Hurricans, P51's and of course the Duxford Jester the Bearcat. It is the most amazing spectacle and comemorates an unbelievable conflict. It also shows how quickly things can be developed in times of war. The Spitfire went from 900 odd horsepower for the prototype to 2300hp for the Mk24, in not more than 5 years. In fact there is a paralell to be drawn with the Covid 19 vaccines pioneered in the UK. They would have taken years to come into use under normal circumstances but I am happily wearing the badge that says I have been vaccinated in a year...

Speaking of 2300hp, I wish TFC would crack on with PK624. I saw it it when it was still in one piece as a static display at St Athan airshow, would be fantastic to see it up in the air again.

10 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

Speaking of 2300hp, I wish TFC would crack on with PK624. I saw it it when it was still in one piece as a static display at St Athan airshow, would be fantastic to see it up in the air again.

I remember her as a gate guardian at Northolt!! I’m that old

Somewhat mixing my complaints here but I find it even more annoying when I'm out playing with one of our RC cars with our daughter. She'll be happily driving the crawler along a path and someone will offer a helpful comment like 'ohhh, looks like she's indulging her dad'. Somehow the idea that she might be enjoying playing with the car herself is incomprehensible, presumably, because she's a girl. Problem is that, like all kids, she absorbs this stuff and starts to assume that ther IS something odd about us going out to play with RC vcars together. It's hard enough fighting all the unhelpful stereotypes that she gets exposed to without memebers of the public randmly joining in.

Don't get me wrong, we also play with barbie's, lego, drawing etc and she will ultimately decide for herself whether her dad's RC hobby is for her or not. But, in the meantime, when you see a parent having a really good bit of quality time with their kid why on earth would you decide it's okay to chime in with yout outdated and critical asesment of the situation? Why not say something encouraging like, 'nice driving' or 'I like your toy car'?

On the flip side, we were out at Xmas driving the crawler round a local bit of countryside when two older girls walked past. They both gave her a big thumbs up and one said 'that's so cool'. My daughter just about exploded with pride. So, it's not everyone.

Anyway, that's me all riled up. I'm off to buy her a Racing Fighter buggy (whether she wants one or not).

• Like 5

Reading some comments here I feel very lucky for my childhood. See my dad was exactly how some people are with their kids here nowadays, he was always busy with his RC cars and other toys and hobbies and he would always bring my sisters and I along with him, sometimes he ended up unemployed and we weren't very rich overall but he would use all that free time to go out with us and do stuff, play with kites, RC cars, RC boats, biking, going to scale model contests and car shows. I don't remember a single time when it was frowned upon but maybe that's because I was just a kid and completely oblivious to other people.

I'm in my 30s now and while we don't have kids (yet) I fully intend to live my life like my dad did and spend as much time as possible enjoying my hobbies and sharing them. I know too many people who only live to fulfill their responsibility, and the high time of their week is 2 hours sitting on the sofa on a Sunday afternoon, no thanks.

However I haven't met people who made fun of my GF and I or criticized us when we go out to play with our RC cars on an empty parking lot, most interactions were pretty positive, one time a guy told me good for you for doing something fun without bothering anyone, and last week someone stopped with his car to watch us for a few minutes and gave us a thumb up when he left. We're in Belgium though, RC and scale models in general are still quite popular here, usually there are dozens of scale model conventions and contests around the country every year.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, VileQuenouille said:

Reading some comments here I feel very lucky for my childhood. See my dad was exactly how some people are with their kids here nowadays, he was always busy with his RC cars and other toys and hobbies and he would always bring my sisters and I along with him, sometimes he ended up unemployed and we weren't very rich overall but he would use all that free time to go out with us and do stuff, play with kites, RC cars, RC boats, biking, going to scale model contests and car shows. I don't remember a single time when it was frowned upon but maybe that's because I was just a kid and completely oblivious to other people.

I'm in my 30s now and while we don't have kids (yet) I fully intend to live my life like my dad did and spend as much time as possible enjoying my hobbies and sharing them. I know too many people who only live to fulfill their responsibility, and the high time of their week is 2 hours sitting on the sofa on a Sunday afternoon, no thanks.

However I haven't met people who made fun of my GF and I or criticized us when we go out to play with our RC cars on an empty parking lot, most interactions were pretty positive, one time a guy told me good for you for doing something fun without bothering anyone, and last week someone stopped with his car to watch us for a few minutes and gave us a thumb up when he left. We're in Belgium though, RC and scale models in general are still quite popular here, usually there are dozens of scale model conventions and contests around the country every year.

Think I might move to Belgium :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cuiken said:

Somewhat mixing my complaints here but I find it even more annoying when I'm out playing with one of our RC cars with our daughter. She'll be happily driving the crawler along a path and someone will offer a helpful comment like 'ohhh, looks like she's indulging her dad'. Somehow the idea that she might be enjoying playing with the car herself is incomprehensible, presumably, because she's a girl. Problem is that, like all kids, she absorbs this stuff and starts to assume that ther IS something odd about us going out to play with RC vcars together. It's hard enough fighting all the unhelpful stereotypes that she gets exposed to without memebers of the public randmly joining in.

Don't get me wrong, we also play with barbie's, lego, drawing etc and she will ultimately decide for herself whether her dad's RC hobby is for her or not. But, in the meantime, when you see a parent having a really good bit of quality time with their kid why on earth would you decide it's okay to chime in with yout outdated and critical asesment of the situation? Why not say something encouraging like, 'nice driving' or 'I like your toy car'?

On the flip side, we were out at Xmas driving the crawler round a local bit of countryside when two older girls walked past. They both gave her a big thumbs up and one said 'that's so cool'. My daughter just about exploded with pride. So, it's not everyone.

Anyway, that's me all riled up. I'm off to buy her a Racing Fighter buggy (whether she wants one or not).

I really have gone and bought her a Racing Fighter too. Genuinly a reaction to this thread.....

Or maybe I was just lookig for any excuse :)

Cheers.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Cuiken said:

Some people really get stuck that, though it may not be as bad now as it was in the past.  I worked for a Toy’s “R” Us from late ‘96- late ‘01and my first Christmas there we had a guy bring in a kids play kitchen that his son got as a Christmas gift and was *******ed off about it and felt it was inappropriate for a boy to receive. Another time that first year (I think several months into ‘97) another guy bought a high end Barbie as a gift, but refused to leave until the supervisor who got it out of the room the expensive stuff was in bagged it enough that the pink couldn’t be seen, and may have been more to protect his ego than hide from the recipient.

I have been reading this thread with great interest since it started, so many interesting observations and points made.  I have to admit that I am embarrassed by my RC hobby and hide it from anyone that is not close to me unless it is first brought up in a positive way.  Not really sure why, but I guess even I think that's it's ridiculous to have so much money and time tied up in "toys".  Sometimes I walk into my garage and am disgusted by how much RC stuff I have and have to ask myself why?  On the other hand, working on and drving my RCs bring me great joy when I'm in the moment so it is a weird back and forth within my subconscious.  

This definitely doesnt come from my childhood as my dad has been a huge Tamiya/RC nut since the mid-80s and was who got me into the hobby in the first place.  My brothers and I actually call him the "Hooby King" as any hobby he gets into is done with passion and awesome skill, whether it be RC, model railroading, etc.  

Luckily I have a huge yard and am able to run my RCs without anyone bothering me, but my father and I get out to the trails nearly every weekend that it's nice out.  We run into a lot of people, dog walkers, dirt bikers, fishers, etc. and we've never once heard a negative comment.  Most everyone is really interested and thinks the trucks are cool.  Come to think of it, I've never actually heard a negative comment (even my wife thinks my hobbies are great uses of time), but there's something inside of me that just can't shake the feeling that is is a complete waste of time/money.  

• Like 1

I can understand people of previous generations who don't have tolerance for adult men who play with toys.   It comes from a different set of values to what is prevalent today.    The idea was that adult men are supposed to use all their time to earn money, care for their family, do maintenance around the house and garage.  The idea of relaxation would be church on Sunday and a roast lunch with their relatives.

I don't like to say one point of view is right or wrong.   I feel like I don't have the right to tell others how to live their lives, what medicines to take, or which political party to support, or anything at all.

I accept that everyone in the world has different ideas and opinions.   Even when I don't agree, I think I will keep my opinion to myself.  

If I want to stand in the middle of a public place and play with a toy car, I can still do it.   I'm prepared to disregard other peoples view, when it suits suit me to do so.   It doesn't mean they are necessarily wrong.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wheel_Nut said:

I can understand people of previous generations who don't have tolerance for adult men who play with toys.   It comes from a different set of values to what is prevalent today.    The idea was that adult men are supposed to use all their time to earn money, care for their family, do maintenance around the house and garage.  The idea of relaxation would be church on Sunday and a roast lunch with their relatives.

I don't like to say one point of view is right or wrong.   I feel like I don't have the right to tell others how to live their lives, what medicines to take, or which political party to support, or anything at all.

I accept that everyone in the world has different ideas and opinions.   Even when I don't agree, I think I will keep my opinion to myself.  

If I want to stand in the middle of a public place and play with a toy car, I can still do it.   I'm prepared to disregard other peoples view, when it suits suit me to do so.   It doesn't mean they are necessarily wrong.

Nicely wriitten and good points made.

For me I guess some of this hinges around what 'caring for family' can mean. If you're out having time with your kids then I'd say you're caring for them.

Additioanlly, we live in a time of relative 'plenty' which would contrast hugely with that which was available 50 years ago. I imagine that is also part of it.

• Like 1

I always feel guity for all my Hobbies :D

I always try to hide my hobbies and try not to show my geekness.

My RCs are mostly in my 70s style Basement.

My Consoles are mostly hidden in a TV/Video Closet.

My Skateboards are hung on a not very seeable Wall in the Kitchen.

But most of our Visitors say Things like:

That are awful lot of Skateboards on the Wall (seeing only the decorative Decks and not seeing the rideables)

Thats a lot of Gameboys on the Wall, do they even work in 2021? (Not knowing that they are only 5% of my Handhelds)

Whow that are lots of toycars.... (not knowing that the most of them are in my secret Basement)

Here is a little shot of one of my Handheldwalls:

spacer.png

The Problem is mine, because i've learned that my interrests and habits are not ok. But i have to Admit that a lot of my Habits are/were really not ok ore mainstream.

• Like 3

I'm 50, I don't think I ever stopped playing, or ever will.
Somewhere along the line I stopped being embarrassed about it, not sure where.

Luckily the locals at the park when I do go there are all pretty friendly and don't mind the RC's.  I guess there would be worse things to be remembered for than being a guy who runs RC's in the park occasionally and always pets everyone elses dogs.

• Like 2