Sign in to follow this  
Lucero

Me again... Justock 13.5t G2.1 in XV01....fit fail

Ok, I was hoping this would all be nice and easy.

If I have the Justock rotated in the gear housing so that the solder points are upright, they foul the plastic of the motor housing meaning the motor won't mount. That's not right surely? I can't seem to find a way to position the motor so that it is mountable (with the mounting holes) and not fouling the motor solder points.

Has anyone actually ever fitted one of these to an XV01? Seems like I need a shim or something to space the motor out.

I've managed to make it work but the motor solder points are rotated around by the lower front shock. It also seems to be cogging on the large spur gear. Do I need to change that too?

Pics, please. I've put a wide variety of motors in XV01s, including Justocks. Some have needed creative soldering or slight clearancing.

As to the cogging, what's your pinion/spur? Is your sensor wire fully installed? That motor should pull about a 6:1 FDR and be very smooth.

3 hours ago, Big Jon said:

Pics, please. I've put a wide variety of motors in XV01s, including Justocks. Some have needed creative soldering or slight clearancing.

As to the cogging, what's your pinion/spur? Is your sensor wire fully installed? That motor should pull about a 6:1 FDR and be very smooth.

Hi big jon,

ls4Sz1r.jpg

I'm using the kit pinion and the kit spur

When you say "cogging", are you talking about when you drive it?

Because cogging is the description for rough low-end power delivery, which you shouldn't get with a sensored motor (you don't have the cable in the picture, or any other wiring).

If you are talking about the feel of the motor turning over, that's because of the magnets and is completely normal. A standard 540 has very weak magnets and you can rotate the arm by hand quite easily. Modern brushless motors have very strong magnets.

I can't see in the pic, but does that motor have flat solder tabs or bullet style connectors?

21 hours ago, Big Jon said:

I can't see in the pic, but does that motor have flat solder tabs or bullet style connectors?

Yes, flat solder tabs. I've had to order long wire because the ESC won't reach from anywhere I place it. That does allow me to place it where I like though once the wire arrives.

23 hours ago, sosidge said:

When you say "cogging", are you talking about when you drive it?

Because cogging is the description for rough low-end power delivery, which you shouldn't get with a sensored motor (you don't have the cable in the picture, or any other wiring).

If you are talking about the feel of the motor turning over, that's because of the magnets and is completely normal. A standard 540 has very weak magnets and you can rotate the arm by hand quite easily. Modern brushless motors have very strong magnets.

Ah thanks, that makes sense. It just sounds "coggie" when hand moving the car backwards and forwards on the desk.

On 3/7/2021 at 11:50 AM, Big Jon said:

Any ideas Big Jon?

File the solder tabs to fit, then solder the wires on vertically. I don't have imgur on this phone, or I'd post a pic. Gimme a sec!