Lukas666

Lunchbox help

Just went for a rip as it’s nice here and the snow is melting... anyway was ripping up and down the Main Street full out lots of puddles and road is pavement but wet.... sounded like it was spinning but I soon realized it wasn’t? Almost  like if you were slipping a clutch in a car or the transmission was slipping. Hammer on it in forward and it doesn’t spin or wheelie.... I mean it goes and you hear the motor rev right up but it doesn’t break the wheels loose at all... does that make any sense? What happens to the mtr when it gets wet? Anything? Brand new unit I built this thing at x mas and just been running around with it in the basement not outside cause it’s been winter. This is also a new Tamiya Sport tuned 23T mtr I installed about a week ago and this is its first real run. I’ll add that there’s no grinding noises or anything

First thing to check would be the pinion gear. Maybe a lose grub screw.

while you have the motor out power it up and check it’s spinning ok and also that the drivetrain is nice and free. The other thing to check is that the tyres aren’t slipping on the rims. Water shouldn’t have done any damage especially if it’s still reving up. 

43 minutes ago, lentner3 said:

First thing to check would be the pinion gear. Maybe a lose grub screw.

while you have the motor out power it up and check it’s spinning ok and also that the drivetrain is nice and free. The other thing to check is that the tyres aren’t slipping on the rims. Water shouldn’t have done any damage especially if it’s still reving up. 

I completely over looked that!!!.... the one rear rim especially is spinning in the tire, thank you... that’s an easy fix. Can I use regular loctite 401 superglue to glue them or is there a special RC tire glue for this? It does not say   “CA” on it anywhere.

12 minutes ago, lentner3 said:

Any superglue will work.

Ok so am I to assume when I need new tires I’ll be buying new rims too then cause they’ll get destroyed trying to get the tires off? Don’t really have a choice now I guess but this is why I avoided gluing them in the first place.

Hi, you could try rubber bands 1st, stretched over the wheel in the tire slot, it might help & avoid gluing.

Someone recomended silicone sealant as the glue. As it sticks but is easy to remove.

I'm going to try this myself as I'm not brave enough to supper glue.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jonny Crumpet said:

Someone recomended silicone sealant as the glue. As it sticks but is easy to remove.

I'm going to try this myself as I'm not brave enough to supper glue.

Sounds a lot easier when the tires need changing but I suspect it’s only useful with lower powered setups. I’ll def give it a go.

7 hours ago, Lukas666 said:

Ok so am I to assume when I need new tires I’ll be buying new rims too then cause they’ll get destroyed trying to get the tires off? Don’t really have a choice now I guess but this is why I avoided gluing them in the first place.

I would check the other things first. I have a lunchbox that runs fine without the tyres glued so I’m not so sure this is your only issue going on. You can remove the glued on tyres with a sharp Blade but it’s fiddly and takes a while. Plus the lunchbox tyres are one of the more rugged tyres and should last ages anyway.

8 hours ago, Lukas666 said:

As i just got a bunch of Tires and Wheels from JConcept i was login in to ask just that, i was really suprised ppl superglue the tires on as i never did that with my stock kit builts, so then you cant change Tyres but must buy new Wheels for each Tire pair, not very economical. My plan was to change diff type off Tires from the surface i was going to drive on..

Had to order Rear wheels from RC mart (Not in stock when local store had a sellout) and then bought Medium Tire glue, im not sure how strong it is but would prefer another solution

silicone sealant is another option or you can use acetone to remove the tyres from the wheels if they have been superglued on.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lentner3 said:

I would check the other things first. I have a lunchbox that runs fine without the tyres glued so I’m not so sure this is your only issue going on. You can remove the glued on tyres with a sharp Blade but it’s fiddly and takes a while. Plus the lunchbox tyres are one of the more rugged tyres and should last ages anyway.

I’m pretty positive that’s exactly the only thing that’s going on. Was bombing through puddles and I bet water got in the bead and was slipping..... you could see it when I put the lunchbox up against my leg and tried to accelerate in the garage, the wheel was rotating in the tire and sounded as if the Van was traveling but it was standing still. From what I seen only one rear wheel was doing it but that’s all it takes cause it’ll take the path of least resistance and the differential came into play at that point. I read about this months ago, people gluing they’re lunchbox tires and thought it was crazy it’s not an RC racer it doesn’t need it your wasting your time. I don’t know how anyone else hasn’t experienced this, or you will soon enough. Maybe they need to be wet but on pavement with decent traction after they’re wet and it’ll do it..... there’s no crazy set up in mine just ball bearings and a 23T sport tuned and that was enough. I glued them last night & when I put the wrench on the nut to crack it loose while holding the tire that wheel was spinning already in the tire. I’ll take it out later for a rip on the front street in the exact same conditions and reply with the results.

26 minutes ago, Lukas666 said:

ball bearings and a 23T sport tuned and that was enough. I glued them last night I’ll take it out later for a rip on the front street in the exact same conditions and reply with the results.

I heard (did not test the difference myself) propper bearings actually does a lot difference regarding tracktion in those kits with plastic bearings

6 minutes ago, simalarion said:

I heard (did not test the difference myself) propper bearings actually does a lot difference regarding tracktion in those kits with plastic bearings

There’s like no drag now.... you elevate the van and spin the front tires and go for a coffee and come back they’re still spinning.... no word of a lie. I tried this before installing them and the plastic bushings spun 14 seconds before coming to a stop... the ball bearings were 1minute 35 seconds. The best $16 you can spend on this Van as far as I’m concerned. Fast Eddy’s bearings I installed. I know Tamiya has some but they’re like 4 times the price for some reason.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lukas666 said:

I’m pretty positive that’s exactly the only thing that’s going on. Was bombing through puddles and I bet water got in the bead and was slipping..... you could see it when I put the lunchbox up against my leg and tried to accelerate in the garage, the wheel was rotating in the tire and sounded as if the Van was traveling but it was standing still. From what I seen only one rear wheel was doing it but that’s all it takes cause it’ll take the path of least resistance and the differential came into play at that point. I read about this months ago, people gluing they’re lunchbox tires and thought it was crazy it’s not an RC racer it doesn’t need it your wasting your time. I don’t know how anyone else hasn’t experienced this, or you will soon enough. Maybe they need to be wet but on pavement with decent traction after they’re wet and it’ll do it..... there’s no crazy set up in mine just ball bearings and a 23T sport tuned and that was enough. I glued them last night & when I put the wrench on the nut to crack it loose while holding the tire that wheel was spinning already in the tire. I’ll take it out later for a rip on the front street in the exact same conditions and reply with the results.

So I just took it out on the same front street hitting puddles driving it like it’s stolen and it’s fixed.... rear tires were slipping. I also downloaded this speedometer app that uses GPS for speed. Supposed to be 99% accurate. Was kinda Leary about that using it as I had to tape my I phone to the top of the van lol. Anyway I clocked it at 27km/hr. Seems faster but I guess the meter doesn’t lie. Does that sound about right with ball bearings and a 23T sport tuned?

5 minutes ago, Lukas666 said:

So I just took it out on the same front street hitting puddles driving it like it’s stolen and it’s fixed.... rear tires were slipping. I also downloaded this speedometer app that uses GPS for speed. Supposed to be 99% accurate. Was kinda Leary about that using it as I had to tape my I phone to the top of the van lol. Anyway I clocked it at 27km/hr. Seems faster but I guess the meter doesn’t lie. Does that sound about right with ball bearings and a 23T sport tuned?

Great stuff glad you got it sorted and it was an easy fix