LUMatt

Tamiya Polycarbonate paint on Wheels, Can it be done?

I have been trying to search for answer about this, but i have come up empty.

I have been trying to find replacement wheels for my Bush Devil, but as most of you know, it is hard to find. I do have a set of the original wheels, but i guess they were painted silver back in the day. I went to a local hobby store and picked up a can of fluorescent pink for the wheels. However i didnt read the label well enough at the store, and its the polycarbonate paint can.

I am just wondering, would i be able to use that paint on the Plastic Wheels? Or do i need a different type of spray paint. 

The wheels are not in the greatest shape, so i dont care if they are not perfect, but i dont want the paint to look horrible on it.

• Like 1

I've just sprayed a set of M06 wheels with polycarbonate paint. Well, a can of Core RC paint anyway. They've come out great. Only prep was to wash with soapy water and rinse and dry.

• Like 1

Short answer YES.

Polycarbonate paint IS the paint that you want, it will flex with the wheel.

I have sprayed springs with polycarbonate paint with great success, although with the springs I also used a Tamiya primer as a undercoat.

• Like 1

i tried to paint the back of the wheel to test it, but the paint wrinkled. The wheel was dry and didnt have any dust.

I guess i should of tried some primer 1st then added the color? Or would it be best to find the Plastic (TS) Spray Paint?

• Like 1

Did you scrub the wheels (and all the crevices) with warm soapy water?

I painted these with PS-1 to match the body, then cleared with PS flat clear.

h7bua26.jpg

• Like 2

maybe i tried to paint them too soon after prepping them. I did re-wash them with soap and water and let them sit to dry for a few days. maybe i will try again tonight

I agree, painted some yellowing Clod Buster wheels with PS1 & they look like new. I cleaned them, dried them, keyed the surface with abrasive paper then a few coats of PS1 with no primer. Clear coat of some sort like Berman suggested is a good idea too IMO but I didn’t do it & the wheels still look great a year on.

• Like 1

I’m hoping to paint lunch box wheels with ts paint and then flat clear. I can see how the ps would flex though and hence might survive a bit longer. 

Anyone used ts paint on a runner with success?