Mike MR

Confused about wheels! Hex nut.

I want to put different wheels and tyres on my Hilux Monster Racer (can’t find original tyres).  The front wheels are a bearing type fit instead of a hex.  I’m guessing I can fit any wheels of the right size on the front and just need to use a hex?  Is the hex nut itself different to those on the driven rear wheels?  Is it normal for the front and rear wheel to be different in a 2WD car?

There are several manufacturers that make a hex to bearing adapter. It’s basically a hex nut that holding one or more bearings inside allowing the wheel to spin.

In my experience, they don’t work well. You might have better luck...

Alternatively, you could use Blackfoot wheels and tires. They should work.

Terry

The rear hex's won't fit on the front as the rears are driven by the small pin through the axle and all held in by the wheel and nut . There are front hex converters that have 2 x 850 bearings in the hex shaped carrier and fit onto the front axle and again, held in place with the wheel and nut , but are not all that imho

Keep those red wheels , they are hard to find now , and try Blackfoot tyres on them as Terry said

There are plenty of new-old-stock bearing front wheels available still on the 'Bay. HPI Super Stars are attractive and period correct, deep dish wheels are close enough, while the flat dish wheels are a bit modern. Traxxas still offers the 8-hole 2.2" wheels in bearing front/hex rear, so does RPM.

As an aside, Schumacher still makes 2.2 stadium tires with proper gnarly spikes and aggressive ribs. They look just right to my eye, and bring back good memories of shootin' a roost in the yard.

I'm using the hex adapters on the "flying brick" doing my speed runs. Are they perfect? No. So they work good enough? IMHO, yes. My Blackfoot went nearly 55mph on them so there's that. The trick I discovered is to use brand new axle nuts, grease the back of the nut where it would contact with the rim. Using the Tamiya tool, tighten the front nuts up to where you just start to feel the nut get tight, then back the nut off a half turn, check and make sure the wheel spins freely, if not, go another 1/8 turn. Repeat until the wheels spin like normal and don't wobble around on the axle. I takes a little trial and error but you'll get it...

Or as my fiance says "every nut is a locknut if you cross thread it" :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Big Jon said:

There are plenty of new-old-stock bearing front wheels available still on the 'Bay. HPI Super Stars are attractive and period correct, deep dish wheels are close enough, while the flat dish wheels are a bit modern. Traxxas still offers the 8-hole 2.2" wheels in bearing front/hex rear, so does RPM.

As an aside, Schumacher still makes 2.2 stadium tires with proper gnarly spikes and aggressive ribs. They look just right to my eye, and bring back good memories of shootin' a roost in the yard.

Thats great info. Thanks.  Has the design of current rims changed from the red rims of 1989?  Will tyres, such as the Schumchers, go straight on?  Gluing?

442B8BAC-F371-4AA6-BED5-D57D98FD9DE7.jpeg