Lukas666

Hornet Servo Saver options

Just as the title says... my hornet had a pretty bad wipeout yesterday and snapped the servo horn. Is this a common issue? What are my options for a stronger one? I see the Tamiya 5100 I think it is the high torque. Is this a better unit? & does it fit the hornet? 

8 hours ago, Lukas666 said:

Just as the title says... my hornet had a pretty bad wipeout yesterday and snapped the servo horn. Is this a common issue? What are my options for a stronger one? I see the Tamiya 5100 I think it is the high torque. Is this a better unit? & does it fit the hornet? 

In my experience, you need to be quite unlucky to break the servo horn on a Hornet, as the thin wire track rods tend to pop off their ball connectors before anything snaps. I would consider just fitting a stock replacement, as a high-torque one might well survive the next big crash, but you might bend a track rod or shred your servo gears or damage your servo mount instead. Making one part stronger just passes the stresses onto the next weakest part in the queue, and a stock servo saver is pretty cheap to buy and easy to fit - probably a good sacrificial weak link to protect the rest of the system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

In my experience, you need to be quite unlucky to break the servo horn on a Hornet, as the thin wire track rods tend to pop off their ball connectors before anything snaps. I would consider just fitting a stock replacement, as a high-torque one might well survive the next big crash, but you might bend a track rod or shred your servo gears or damage your servo mount instead. Making one part stronger just passes the stresses onto the next weakest part in the queue, and a stock servo saver is pretty cheap to buy and easy to fit - probably a good sacrificial weak link to protect the rest of the system.

Ohhh they popped of they’re ball connectors too, both of them. I snapped them back on quickly and then realized something else was wrong. I replaced the horn already. Had a spare one from my lunchbox build as it uses a different one off the tree. Maybe I’ll buy another tree they are cheap, just to have another spare.

Looked up the number in the hornet build and they call it a 0115065 P parts. On eBay I see an S parts 0115001? Looks the same and it’ll most likely have the horn on it I’d need. What’s the difference between the two? Anyone know?

15 hours ago, Lukas666 said:

Looked up the number in the hornet build and they call it a 0115065 P parts. On eBay I see an S parts 0115001? Looks the same and it’ll most likely have the horn on it I’d need. What’s the difference between the two? Anyone know?

The 0115001 sprue has more options for different servo spline configurations, but the horns are the same. Either will serve your purposes.