Cuiken

XV-01 Stabilizers (Sway Bar) alternatives

I'd love a set of these for my XV-01 but they are out of stock everywhere.

Does anyone know if any other Tamiya sway bar sets can be substituded for the actual XV01 set? I'd be happy to do a little light modding if needed.

Ta. 

2 hours ago, Cuiken said:

I'd love a set of these for my XV-01 but they are out of stock everywhere.

Does anyone know if any other Tamiya sway bar sets can be substituded for the actual XV01 set? I'd be happy to do a little light modding if needed.

Ta. 

I don't know for sure, but i have managed to get the TA06 sway bars working on assorted chassis from the FF03 to the TB03. I would be surprised if you couldn't get something working on the XV01 with that. The later TRF418 set uses different arrangement for the end attachments which makes it harder to modify for longer dropper links if you need them. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks. They do look quite different to the XV01. The XV01 seem to have the same sized bar front and back while the TA06 ones are quite different.

That said, maybe the front or rear bar from the TA06 would fit both the front and rear of the XV01. I could just use differnt stiffness front and rear.

Just seems bit of a gamble to have to order a set to find out.

I don't suppose anyone owns both and could do a quick compare?

Ta

I have the same problem- a second xv-01 which will be long damper but no sway bars. So I am interested in the answer too.

I've bought a set of TA-06 stabilizers. A ton of searching through google images suggests they might just about fit but I'll need to cut down the rear bars.

I'll report back but be aware they are almosty sold out in the UK. That's part of the reason I just decided to buy a set.

Otherwise, apparently, its a 10 week wait until the next batch (TA06 and XV01) arrive on the boat.

Cheers.

6 hours ago, Cuiken said:

I've bought a set of TA-06 stabilizers. A ton of searching through google images suggests they might just about fit but I'll need to cut down the rear bars.

I'll report back but be aware they are almosty sold out in the UK. That's part of the reason I just decided to buy a set.

Otherwise, apparently, its a 10 week wait until the next batch (TA06 and XV01) arrive on the boat.

Cheers.

You almost always need stiffer front than rear, so you will probably be able to use the softer front ones on the back. 

Haha - no stock anywhere - I am guessing you bough the last TA-06 ones from ebay - from a place in Bath????

I probably will not get a chance to build my second XV-01 for a while so i can wait - I will try and measure the current ones on the already built one - but i probably involves disassembly. If i recall correctly the instructions for the xv-01 stabilizers refer to a ring type part with a grub screw that should be fixed to the centre of the stabilizer to stop it moving sideways - mine didn't come with these so i got some brass ones from the LHS and modified them - I will try and photo them...

29 minutes ago, gizard said:

Haha - no stock anywhere - I am guessing you bough the last TA-06 ones from ebay - from a place in Bath????

I probably will not get a chance to build my second XV-01 for a while so i can wait - I will try and measure the current ones on the already built one - but i probably involves disassembly. If i recall correctly the instructions for the xv-01 stabilizers refer to a ring type part with a grub screw that should be fixed to the centre of the stabilizer to stop it moving sideways - mine didn't come with these so i got some brass ones from the LHS and modified them - I will try and photo them...

Part number 53827 are the stabilizer rod stoppers

50938614782_b54608405b_k.jpg

What do I need rod stoppers for? I mean, obviously, stopping my rods but what does that mean?

Do these simply fit in between the mounting points tp prevent the bar sliding from side to side?

I've seen some people using them, others not.

The xv-01 rods appear to have an angle of approximately 47.5 degrees on them, the ends are about 40mm long and the middle about 36mm long. See picture

20210311_123913.jpg

• Thanks 1

Really useful, thanks.

My TA06 stabilizer set turned up today. Measure for comparison and I'd say the front bars are identical in dimensions and angles to those measured above for the XV01.

The rear bars are a little different. The angles are a little shallower, maybe bang on 45 degrees. The ends are 60mm and the middle is about 38mm. The ends could be cut down easily and possibly the middle is close enough.

The fitting kit looks identical to that in the XV01 bars (from pictures on the web).

In summary, if you can find them, it looks like they should fit. This is especially true if you want to use soft/medium at the back with medium/firm at the front. That way you could get away with only using the front bars from the TA06 kit (which appear to be identical to the XV)1 bars.

Proof is in the pudding though so I'll report back once I've had a chance to install.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 9:27 PM, Cuiken said:

What do I need rod stoppers for? I mean, obviously, stopping my rods but what does that mean?

Do these simply fit in between the mounting points tp prevent the bar sliding from side to side?

I've seen some people using them, others not.

The stoppers “locate” the bars to prevent lateral movement, the front bar uses 1 stopper centrally located, the rear uses 2

Turns out I can confirm that the TA06 Stabilizers are totally compatible with the XV01. So, big thanks to @ThunderDragonCy

I ended up using only the 'front' bars from the TA06 kit installing the firm one up front and the medium at the back. I test fitted the soft bar and it really did next to hee-haw.

I guess this is all moot since, for now at least, there are no TA06 bars available either (I did seem to manage to bags the last set in the UK) but maybe it'll be useful info for someone in the future.

As to the effect on the car, I'd say I'm chuffed. Becuase I fitted the rally interior and used the long rod ends on the shocks, my car is a bit top heavier than standard sp the stabilizers (sway bars of arbs in normal parlance) really help level the car out.

I just need to sort out the vicious oversteer now.....

• Like 1

On the oversteer, I'm thinking of going heavy on the oil in the front diff (I have some 300k sat here).

Anyone tried that and did it help at all?

My mate let me try out his incredibly hopped up TT02 and I have to say it was less prone to spinning out on the loose corners.

6 hours ago, Cuiken said:

On the oversteer, I'm thinking of going heavy on the oil in the front diff (I have some 300k sat here).

Anyone tried that and did it help at all?

My mate let me try out his incredibly hopped up TT02 and I have to say it was less prone to spinning out on the loose corners.

Heavier front diff oil will help, but more powerful are the anti roll bars. Try doing the same quick twice - once with the rear bar connected, once without. Just unhook one of the drop links to do it. After that lower the front roll centre (remove spacers from under the inboard camber link balls or add them to the hub end ball. Change 1mm thick spacer at a time). Let us know how you get on. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting. So, keep the front bar on the stiffest setting but then remove or relax the bar on the rear? It's a fair point. Real cars I've owned have always had front bars but not allways rear bars.

As to the mods on the front, I'm not 100% on the terminology but I think you're basically saying to move the angle of the upper suspension link so it 'diverges' from the lower wishone as it heads out to the hub (rather than running paralell). I'm guessing this would increase tendency to understeer?

Great tips, thanks.

4 hours ago, Cuiken said:

Interesting. So, keep the front bar on the stiffest setting but then remove or relax the bar on the rear? It's a fair point. Real cars I've owned have always had front bars but not allways rear bars.

As to the mods on the front, I'm not 100% on the terminology but I think you're basically saying to move the angle of the upper suspension link so it 'diverges' from the lower wishone as it heads out to the hub (rather than running paralell). I'm guessing this would increase tendency to understeer?

Great tips, thanks.

To reduce front roll and give some mkre grjp to the rear, you need your front camber links angled down towards the centre of the car. Higher at the c hub than the centre. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks. That makes sense now.

Meanwhile I swapped the medium bar on the rear of the car for the soft one and swapped over to the rally block tyres. Classic bit of bad science since I changed two variables at the same time but one/other/both seem to have made a difference. I'll put the 'pirelli' tyres back on at some point and see if it reverts to oversterring.

I've also ordered a spare steel geared diff so will stick some 300k oil in it and install at some point when I have a bit more time. I'm guessing that will get the car roughly where I want it.

It has to be said, the XV01 chassis is really quite special. The thing just glides over rough surfaces and, as I'm learning, you make make big changes ot the handling characteristics with minor tweaks.

• Like 1

I managed to use the TA-06 stabilizer set on my XV-01T,  uses front bars for front and rear. fits perfect no cutting required. 

Resurrecting this old thread as I have pretty much completed my 2nd XV-01 Long damper car and would like to put stabilizer's on the same as my original one and as could be predicted I cannot get the above original set or the TA-06 one but what about the the one for the XV-02RS Stabilizer Set F/R - 522074 ?

I guess I should be asking - has anyone got this XV-02RS one and can they measure it for size and angles as i did with the XV-01 set above to see if they are the same?

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 10:07 PM, gizard said:

Resurrecting this old thread as I have pretty much completed my 2nd XV-01 Long damper car and would like to put stabilizer's on the same as my original one and as could be predicted I cannot get the above original set or the TA-06 one but what about the the one for the XV-02RS Stabilizer Set F/R - 522074 ?

I guess I should be asking - has anyone got this XV-02RS one and can they measure it for size and angles as i did with the XV-01 set above to see if they are the same?

I found strange information on Tamiya site.

XV-01 set:

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/option-parts/rc-xv01-stabilizer-set/

Description says that it is compatible with XV-02.

XV-02 set:

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/option-parts/rc-xv-02rs-stabilizer-set/frontrear/

No information about XV-01.

It is totally weird and there is no logic in fact, that you can use 01 set in 02, but you cannot use 02 in 01.

Well I decided to do an order from PJ - never used them before and order a few other bits and bobs so lets see what happens with delivery to the UK.

Thanks
G.