Shodog

Shodog’s 40th Porsche 934 Black Edition

This will be my second 40th Porsche 934 build.  I chose to use a black kit as I was lucky enough to purchase this kit before the prices became insane.  I started this as a lockdown build in April of 2020 when I found out that Maxspeedparts was making a 230mm chassis.  

91E6DCBE-C838-495C-A1C4-E5DBA942BD95_zps

001(45).jpg

I got the rear gear case built and that’s where the project died.  Because of German post policies and COVID issues the chassis I ordered never came And I ended up with a refund.  I was bummed as that chassis was the whole reason for this build. Then on December 8th I took my chances again and ordered a set which sat in a German post office until it showed up today exactly 4 months later.  Here you can see the size difference 

001(44).jpg

My plan for this chassis is to replace the chassis currently under my redmetal body. I couldn’t live with the wheel base issue. 

63672570-6459-46F9-BCF8-17296AB9F714_zps

This will give me a nice 236 mm chassis to use for my Martini GT2.  
2617F3D4-2BE7-484C-8B3A-B5A3C01E92EC_zps

I plan to build this chassis the same as above with the sweet 53155 low friction dampers, Orion motor and Taisan silver gear cases, just 6mm shorter

001(43).jpg

One thing I experimented with was adapting a set of the eBay aluminum disc brake kits to this chassis.  
F028CEAD-A30D-4B1B-8A2A-59EAB568A8FC_zps

The issue I found was the 6mm outboard bearing seat on the axle that interferes with the caliper bracket. I had my neighbor use his lathe to mill that bearing seat to 5mm for me.  Now I can use the 5x8 outboard bearing in the caliper bracket. 
6E274ABE_43AC_487E_BC15_ACAE1679F5DC_Ful

• Like 7

Next step of the build is to mount the shock tower. The holes for the shoulder bolts are not big enough. I used a #28 drill to enlarge the hole. 

001(53).jpg

Tore open two new packages of dampers.

001(52).jpg

Gear cases complete 

001(51).jpg

Chassis finished.  I used a set of aluminum Fuchs from RC4wd  

001(47).jpg

6 mm is a huge difference. 

001(49).jpg

The chassis fits the body so much better. 

001(46).jpg

• Like 15

Looks really amazing with those wheels! I also bought a 230mm chassis kit from Maxspeedparts, but he first sent me a 236mm lower deck. When I got the correct one from him later, I saw that the weave pattern and the gloss was different from the upper deck that I had already got. A bit annoying, but it will probably not be that noticeable when it's built and the electronics is fitted. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shodog said:

001(46).jpg

Glad to hear you got your chassis parts in the end :) Did you cut down the prop shaft or deepen the recess in the prop joints?

Those wheels are hawt :wub:  I just went to the RC4wd website to take a look...ouch! They do really set off that lovely shiny paint job though

It looks the biz!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

Those wheels with that body is killer

Thanks I bought them a couple of years ago. They are overpriced but very nice. 

15 hours ago, TurboRSR said:

Looks really amazing with those wheels! I also bought a 230mm chassis kit from Maxspeedparts, but he first sent me a 236mm lower deck. When I got the correct one from him later, I saw that the weave pattern and the gloss was different from the upper deck that I had already got. A bit annoying, but it will probably not be that noticeable when it's built and the electronics is fitted. 

You’ll be the only one that knows the difference.  I’m particular also. I bought a replacement chassis for one of my new built cars because I accidentally slipped with the screwdriver and scratched the chassis. 

@Shodog  Paint is really nice. Aubergine, Amethyst? Reminds me of two different colors, Audi Zyclam mica red on my 1990 90 20v quattro, and an early 1985 Porsche 944 Sport that fixed up and autocrossed.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, studioRS said:

@Shodog  Paint is really nice. Aubergine, Amethyst? Reminds me of two different colors, Audi Zyclam mica red on my 1990 90 20v quattro, and an early 1985 Porsche 944 Sport that fixed up and autocrossed.

It’s a combo of clear red and gunmetal. 

609B52B5-ED1F-48AB-94D2-586856F4A7C6_zps

675680FB-9C30-482D-A1A0-FE1CB215613C_zps

• Like 4

Used a press to smash the end of prop shaft and cut 6mm off of it. 

001(61).jpg

Tamiya really dropped the ball on this release. They could have made the 40th special by shortening the shaft And chassis then print 40th anniversary on the top plate like they did for their 30th anniversary chassis. 

001(62).jpg

I’m going to scrap the idea of the caliper brackets. Even with the milled axles their not working right. 

001(58).jpg

I’ll just use the brake rotors for hex hubs. 

001(59).jpg

Got the 236mm anniversary chassis set up for my Martini 🍸 GT2

001(57).jpg

001(55).jpg

• Like 8

You’ve got to happy with that chassis now @Shodog, it’s a massive improvement to how it was 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2021 at 9:51 PM, Re-Bugged said:

You’ve got to happy with that chassis now @Shodog, it’s a massive improvement to how it was 👍🏻

chassis fits the body so much better.  I’ll probably paint a new body for this car. I have to use some funky spacers to get the body to fit the old body holes. Would be nice to have a new body that fits it perfect

001(65).jpg

001(66).jpg

001(63).jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Shodog said:

chassis fits the body so much better.  I’ll probably paint a new body for this car. I have to use some funky spacers to get the body to fit the old body holes. Would be nice to have a new body that fits it perfect

001(65).jpg

001(66).jpg

001(63).jpg

Hi Shodog,

what is wrong with the spacers, body is sitting perfectly? Great color and crazy wheels! Tamiya was so lazy to not do this mod by themselfs. Clever trick also with the propshaft. Probably quicker than shortening both outdrives like I did...

Have fun,

Matthias

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2021 at 12:15 AM, Shodog said:

It’s a combo of clear red and gunmetal. 

609B52B5-ED1F-48AB-94D2-586856F4A7C6_zps

675680FB-9C30-482D-A1A0-FE1CB215613C_zps

How many coats of the Translucent Red did you use?

33 minutes ago, Scott_CT said:

I did very light coats until the can was done.  The paint with run if sprayed too thick.  Paint the hard corners and creases first. Leave the big flat parts for last

3 hours ago, Scott_CT said:

2 hours ago, Shodog said:

I did very light coats until the can was done.  The paint with run if sprayed too thick.  Paint the hard corners and creases first. Leave the big flat parts for last

If you can use an airbrush, it will give you far better control and protection again paint running as well as makes getting into corners easier. 

It is possible to decant the PS paint out of the spray cans to be airbrushed - OR - use Vallejo acrylics (or similar). 

It’s not too hard to get a good even coat with a rattle can. However before screwing up an expensive 934 body I practiced the paint combo on a cheaper HPI body.

81F33055-81B7-4292-95D0-F5172A2108E5_zps

406CB135-D788-4EEE-AD15-E181EBAD8475_zps

D03DE065-4594-42EC-AB3A-CD22A424D72A_zps

• Like 1