ALEXKYRIAK

Hornet experimental 3rd shock

Hi all, have been super quiet on the RC front for the last year or so but have been tinkering away on a Hornet third shock modification. This is to stop the ‘kick up’ under acceleration where the front end of the rear gearbox kicks up. I created a couple of carbon plates to allow for the fixings of the third shock (1/12 scale if I recall) to sit in between the rear dampers, between the front of the gearbox and back wall of the chassis tub. Mechanically this feels like it works quite well. But I haven’t tried it in action yet.

Hornet suspension brace

Hornet suspension brace

Hornet suspension brace

Hornet suspension brace

Hornet suspension brace

This version of the design is my second attempt, the first not restraining the shock properly in all directions whilst allow free movement of the gearbox left/right and front/back. The plates were cut at Fibrelyte in 3mm carbon. one vertical that you can see in the pics to hold the top of the shock, and one flat on the front of the gearbox base to take the bottom of the shock. Ghetto use of a Hornet front suspension aluminium bracket here  

Anyway, this is a quick post as I don’t know when I’ll get to complete this car, but will document this in more detail in the Builds section as and when. Thought you might like to see some pics of the ‘experiment’.... :)

• Like 6

Looks nice.

Have you seen the Ampro transmission brace? I have it on my son's hornet and it works very well.

Looks nice and made very well. Let us know what you think.

Will you also install shocks for the front?

This is what I love about this forum. Awesome ideas and ingenuity. it's always difficult dealing with the rear end of these cars because under acceleration the rear suspension is under tension and off throttle suspension works. I'd love to see how this works out. The part looks amazing and definitely trick. I guess that's why the design was called hopper. Under acceleration there was no suspension in the rear. Tons of fun to drive, but the slop was always annoying. 

• Thanks 1

Hi, @LoweR131 now that you mention it I’d seen it ages ago but could never figure out how it worked.  @Nicadraus yes I am building this hornet with front shocks and various other bits and pieces. Should all go into a build thread whenever I can get time to spend on the hobby....! :) 

• Like 1

Since the Ampro brace was designed all other options seem way over engineered and don’t offer anything extra but I must admit it looks way cooler.