87lc2

Solution for mold release on tires

I've always dreaded having to clean new tires to remove the mold release.  I would typically use Simple Green or Bleche White and it worked well for the most part, just a lot of elbow grease.  I recently had a set of JConcepts monster truck tires that no matter how long I soaked and scrubbed just couldn't get them clean, they would turn white almost as soon as they dried.  

Not sure where I saw it, but I put them in the dryer for about 10-15 minutes on low heat and now they are perfectly black!   I don't think it actually removed it, but the heat must have caused the tire to re-absorb the release and they look great even a week later.  Did a few other sets of new JConcepts/Clod tires I had lying around and same result, they came out perfectly black with no white residue.  Figured I'd pass this along in case anyone else was struggling with it.  

• Like 2

Good to know, thank you for sharing.  I love learning tips like this.  Now I just have to remember it!

How does your dryer smell?

Just now, schlabinski said:

Good to know, thank you for sharing.  I love learning tips like this.  Now I just have to remember it!

How does your dryer smell?

Well the wife hasn't noticed yet, so can't be too bad :)   In all seriousness, I didn't notice any smell or marks in the dryer after doing 3-4 sets of Clod sized tires so I wouldnt worry about it.  It's really been a lifesaver for me, I used to spend sooo much time cleaning off monster truck tires to get them looking nice for a new build...not anymore.

• Like 1

You can use motor spray or automotive MAF sensor cleaner.  They are essentially the same.  It will remove all grease and oils.  Keep the product away from painted surfaces (hobby paint) though as it can stain it.   I'd wear gloves, place your tire over your big trash bin and just spray liberally.  The product will dry quickly with no scent remaining.  I use it often in my garage as I also work on real cars.  On real cars it will not stain the finish and works well for removing tar.

However, try it first on a tire you don't care about just to be on the safe side.