Big Jon

Dream Kits

We all have that super kit we wish that Tamiya would make. Everyone knows that I'm in love with the XV-01, and rally cars in general.

I want an XV-01 Pro V.2.  All of the carbon reinforced plastics, aluminum suspension mounts, TRF shocks with slightly longer shafts for 58mm length, spring steel turnbuckles, hard steel balls, front DCJ axles, rear CV axles, slipper, swaybars, soft rally blocks, and hex screws. It would be a rock solid kit, and be ready to go out of the box.

How 'bout a real TT02 Rally? Hard deck, reinforced A parts, aluminum driveshaft, cups, high speed gearset, sealed rear diff, front spool, DCJs up front, dogbones in the rear (gotta control cost), steering tubes, CVA shocks, soft springs, adjustable upper arms, bearings, Lexan chassis cover or mudguards and a skid similar to the M05 Ra, adjustable toe links, and plastic 3° rear uprights, and, of course, hex screws. Sorta like a D, R, and RR all mixed together. It would make a great base to build a racing rally car, or make a really good real-world runner out of the box.

I want an M-08 Stratos in a bad way, with correct wheels and big fat tires.

The brilliant M07 should be offered with bodysets...

How about a DB-01RRR rerelease? Or a modernized DF-03, with reinforced plastics throughout, lipo ready chassis, and improved drivetrain?

Anyone else have any kits you'd like to see?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, toyolien said:

I'd like a Lunchbox TRF.

Would you settle for an MS?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, for starters: a Blazing Blazer re-release with the new Bruiser transmission. Simplify the rest of it a bit, and make it a lower-cost entry into the 3 speed world, like the original Blazer was.

Next, a body/wheel/tire package kit to turn a re-re Frog/Brat into the old big-arch Lancia 037.

That would satisfy my old Tamiya wants. But after that, I'd like to see them flex their modeling muscles a bit more, and start making some RC kits that rival their static kits for detail. Ignore performance; build them for 280-380 motors and basic RC gear, but add full engine and interior details, and scale-correct drivetrains (motor location and drive wheels the same as on the 1:1 car).

• Like 7

Tamiya's 56101 SRC-6000 Solar Eagle kit was a one-of-a-kind from them released many years ago; I think it would be fascinating to see a "Solar Eagle II" that demonstrates big improvements in solar cell efficiency and motor efficiency.  It would be quite the dream to have maybe a 15-20 mph car that could run all day with direct sunlight.

• Like 9

A re-run of the Group C cars and some new additional iconic bodies (xjr-14, 962, pug 905 etc) on an updated chassis, maybe something like the TC01 for wider tyre track widths.

Some detailed Group B bodies to go with your XV01pro v2 chassis.

• Like 5

I'm a simple man, all I want is an Egress MS that comes with big bore aeration dampers and a lipo/brushless ready steel drivetrain.

• Like 1

1/16 M113 in the tank series. The box shape will offer plenty of room for the electronics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Jon said:

Would you settle for an MS?

Nope. Got to be TRF. Alloy dampers, Hex hardware, factory double wishbone suspension, centralised servo, factory 5th shock (or similiar) mod and most importantly an oil filled gear diff. That would do me. :D

• Like 4

Some great ideas here already :)

How about an update to the Clod Buster with proper metal 4-links and behind-the-axle steering from the factory.  Wheelbase matched to a decent hard body.  Oil shocks, but otherwise no crazy changes, just simple, oversized monster truck fun.

Release some of those scale bodies on the CC02.  Blackfoot, King Blackfoot.  And of course the D90.

A Tamiya Class 2 scale truck.  One that is actually scale.  Front-mounted motor, high-quality scale plastic mouldings, metal links.  Basically an SCX10-III with a Tamiya badge on it.

18 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Nope. Got to be TRF. Alloy dampers, Hex hardware, factory double wishbone suspension, centralised servo, factory 5th shock (or similiar) mod and most importantly an oil filled gear diff. That would do me. :D

You could call it a "Box Deluxe"

• Like 4

I’m 💯 down with this,  but the DIY aspect is one of my primary joys of the hobby; buying the kit, reading the threads, researching the mods, sourcing all the parts

It’s a combination of the research, the hunt, the shopping, and then the massively off-piste build with all the mods built in from scratch. I love it. 

Having all of that off the shelf would be grand, but would remove a lot of the fun / challenge, in my world anyway.

And it’s my birthday so, just for today, my world wins 😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

Some detailed Group B bodies to go with your XV01pro v2 chassis.

Absolutely, more Tamiya-grade body choices for rally (and old school TC too) would be great. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

You could call it a "Box Deluxe"

I’ve often wondered if that Mecanno ‘box standard / box deluxe’ connection to the etymology of ‘bog standard / dog’s horlicks’ story was true or apocryphal. If true it’s brilliant 

It's tricky. Choosing the mods and hop ups is part of the fun. So, having better availability of legacy parts would be nice. 

I'd like to see an FF05 tub chassis with some new shells. 

It's a bit blowing my own trumpet, but an official Ultra G using thundershot and grasshopper2 bits, but with official parts to hook them all together would be really cool. Use the old 3 point body mounting so you can mount all those cool old bodies, and then new series of crazy buggy bodies using some japanese theme. Coro coro, but something new. 

• Like 1

King Cab or Hilux Monster Racer.

Really go crazy and sell parts for it too.  Imagine owning one and a few years later you need a new parts tree and Tamiya have plenty of stock.  I'd suggest putting effort into re-releasing it with an all new gearbox and differential but that goes beyond dream and into impossibility. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd like to see the Winger body and Dash 1 Emperor body officially released on re-re chassis with new box art just like to old days. Heck, I just want to see box art prevalent again. Besides the usual pining for re-releases like original Wild Willy, Juggernaut, etc. I share @markbt73's idea of more scale accurate models. Imagine if other vehicles were given the Bruiser treatment. I'm not an on-road guy but I'd sure like the see a Porsche 911 built with the same attention to scale detail as the original 3-speeds were.  

I also dream for parts availability for reasonable timespans. Doesn't Mercedes Benz run a genuine vintage parts program? I mean, if we're dreaming, why not have access to all the old parts and decals? Oh, and hop-ups like Hicaps would be awesome if they were easily available around the world and not limited runs leading to panic buying etc. 

• Like 2

TRF Lunchbox +1 😂

With a blue wheelie bar setting fire to the grass as it crests 60mph ...

Beyond that, it’s a true TRF 934 - sorry

20th Ann was a Taisan / 911 🙄

30th Ann / 49400 was v close 

40th Ann / 84431 was more good value - with a rubbish wheelbase / body 

Just once knock it out of the park - then retire the series !

One of these in 1/10 scale, preferably with operable diff lock and a 3 speed box:

Auction report: Collectible County sells for £23,500 (plus VAT)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I’d like to see a licensed film vehicle series, too many to chose: 

Jeep from Jurassic Park

M577APC from Aliens

Ford Falcon from Mad Max

DB5 from Goldfinger

DeLorean from back to the future

• Like 4

A Blackfoot that doesn't toss dogbones...

A re re king cab with a good tranny... Or at least an adapter to swap in a slash trans...