Exit13

Audi Quattro Rally 58036 Build

Although I had an Audi Quattro Rally 58036 this particular car was not my back in the day buggy. Although like me, it was from New Jersey, so who knows. But let’s assume it’s not. I was able to hold on to a handful of 58036 parts along with the build manual which will help me get this guy back going. Excited to show this off as I’ve wanted one since I got back into Tamiya and never thought I would be possible. I was the lucky eBay bidder for this at just over $100USD

pnRapOg.jpg

I installed my 1 front tire already.  And this will be my build thread 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Yessss !! - what other parts did you manage to keep ?

A couple of parts trees and some extra swing arms, bumper mount, two out of 4 wheels, gear box covers, metal tubes. And some Miscellaneous stuff. Here it all is 

zQMFA26.jpg
im even finding more the more i get into it. Recently I found some rally light parts in my spring box. I really need the plastic body front and rear bumpers. 

• Like 1

ODRbTOq.jpg
rally light brackets located and one much needed front pogo shaft

• Like 2

Still searching thru my parts stock for Audi Quattro Rally parts 

qNlauZj.jpg

Yeah this whole Build it going to take a while. No more Audi parts have been located yet. But I found the local hardware store will have 4mm x 35mm machines screws so I can use one for my front pogo shaft. I will cut down grasshopper front springs to 20mm and the suspension  be set. I have TBG body and MCI decals on order. Some more city Turbo wheels (fronts) are on order since somehow I now have 3 rear tires and only 1 front. After that I’ll be a rolling chassis. I will need to source that giant bearing in the city turbo front rim. Hoping a bearing kit will take care of that. But here will be the real hard find. 
ap7GaxI.jpg

front and rear body plastic bumpers. There are none to be found. The 3D print world isn’t printing them, they say see the resin world but I can find anything. Any suggestions?

The bearings should be easy enough to source . There was guy on Tamiyabase.com who was in a short converstation with someone who was looking to get an Ascona front and rear panel cast and someone said they could do it but how far that went I don't know

https://tamiyabase.com/forum/33-vintage-tamiya-original-build-or-restoration/20432-3d-printed-resin-parts-for-ascona-400-body

You could ask on here if anyone has the Audi panels that could copy them for you .

Shout out to Graham P for this photo. I also am searching for this wheelie bar 

pOD0dhh.png

As I wait for willys wheeler / city turbo tires to get here and the much needed large bore bearings, let’s have a look at the steering and fitting in some servos. Hmm these tires are not even close to being in alignment. l9nUTqc.jpg

the rods on my 90 Percent’er Audi are not Correct. They do not measure out correctly. 

Now I know I have some odd ball steering rods in my stock pile. The rods stick out in my mind because they are way different than all my other Tamiya steering rods. Could it be???!!!

0utmdvt.jpg

it is!!!  The correct steering rods exist in my stock pile. It was meant to be!!!  
NK1CFmj.jpg

Good on me for keeping these seemingly useless slightly bent steering rods for all these years. It was meant to be!!  The next update will be after Today as  “the general” aka my wife goes to the hardware store to procure 4mm x 35mm machine screws to get the front suspension sorted. 

• Like 1

1st lesson in RC , never throw ANYTHING out . Those joints are hard to find in good condition , also used on the Super Champ and 3 speeds

• Like 1

The general pulled it off!! The suspension should be sorted tonight!

n9Xs4VH.jpg

Driver side rear is a little lopsided. I better take it apart and see what’s doing. Hope I’m not missing more parts!!

yPskfJh.jpg
in others news look at the shrink wrap around that 540 motor. This thing screams vintage!  Also thinking how I can either bend up Or retrofit a new wheelie bar to this car??

Small gains today but nonetheless I’m gaining on them. I got the front bumper mount (one of the parts I was able to hold on to for all these years) installed  as well as the steering rods are now sorted. The front end was taken apart and everything was greased. 
OfVFSVR.jpg

front suspension now functional 

J2Y5MKF.jpg

now back on the shelf until more parts arrive. 
ZhniuIU.jpg

maybe I’ll do servos later. I don’t need any parts to arrive to take care of that task. 

• Like 1

It’s alive!!!

q6H0kg5.jpg

tires and body are next  Still on the hunt for a roll bar and a wheelie bar 

• Like 2

I’m closing in on having a proper front end and proper wheelset. I got these bearings for the city turbo fronts. Now I’m just trying to source the “hat style” washer that goes inside the wheels in between the bearings and the screw that holds the wheel on. Hoping the City Turbo K parts tree “spacer” will work. 
u26b3Fy.jpg

On 3/23/2021 at 3:27 PM, ddaenen1 said:

i like this build a lot. It's like a smal adventure. Keep it going!

Thanks.  Not Much more to go 

aa8P5wu.png

just waiting for the body 

and look what rolled thru the door today!!

9l3iuns.jpg

in fact Team Blue Grove came up huge today!!!

Jx2x1wN.jpg
one for shelf queening and one for bashing?  No this Audi cannot he used for bashing. one for box art and one to be creative?  Or one to looks just like the one I had BITD which was non box art. Either way. This will is getting fun. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

WHAT !! - how come you got a 'freebie' ? ;)

Shhhhh. Everyone is going to except one if we let word get out. I guess they found out I’m a big deal over on the TC. 

• Like 2

Hey Exit,

I have used a TBG Audi shell in the past, and while it was pretty darn good, and very true to the original, you will find that you have to modify the indents for the air intake grilles on the bonnet.

The moulding has rounded corners where the original was square, so when you try and insert the plastic grille pieces, they dont fit flat. I had to cut through the body to make them fit, but once they are in, they look ok.

Keep up the good work. J

• Like 1