Exit13

Audi Quattro Rally 58036 Build

On 3/23/2021 at 3:27 PM, ddaenen1 said:
2 hours ago, junkmunki said:

Hey Exit,

I have used a TBG Audi shell in the past, and while it was pretty darn good, and very true to the original, you will find that you have to modify the indents for the air intake grilles on the bonnet.

The moulding has rounded corners where the original was square, so when you try and insert the plastic grille pieces, they dont fit flat. I had to cut through the body to make them fit, but once they are in, they look ok.

Keep up the good work. J

Thanks junkmumk- sourcing the bumpers right now is the task at hand. Fitting them is a problem for later. 

Bumpers or no bumpers look how far my build has come:

VWaFbd8.jpg

cikZQeO.jpg

tB4g6Xa.jpg

waiting for my roll bar from Germany so I can secure the shell. All the HCT wheels are set now too so I’m ready to run. 

• Like 1

I got a driver for my Audi 

fgpSNfv.jpg

and finally I got the roll bar from Germany!!

dNfvo9Z.jpg

time to get the non box art body done 

WFpuMJ8.jpg

this guy wants to drive on the left hand side but the body mount pegs lift him up to high

iYBbxVm.jpg

he will have to sit on the “JDM” side for this build   Now for the homemade wheelie bar in action!!

JuUPNgZ.png

and this is as far as I can go until bumpers arrive  

ExbsYlf.jpg
wow this runner /spare body came out nice  I wonder how I should do up the bumpers?

oJZ3fPX.jpg

It runs really well  it’s a little slow but that nice because I’ll be lightly running it. It kind of sounds a little clunkly compared to the later 80 models  The rear set it up is what’s making all the noise but it goes great on the street and grass  I’m real happy  

• Like 5

Here goes with my box art body

1aJamc3.jpg

muKQ5fd.jpg

zOE0cNm.jpg

MBtF8bK.jpg

YKhZRu2.jpg

and that’s as far as I can go for now until bumpers arrive  

• Like 2

Now this is really as far as I can go without bumpers 

CbwCBMs.jpg

Ah there is nothing like the real thing. 

Ew3912u.jpg

Thank you  

• Like 1

Flat white?

mMXikhF.jpg

not bad but look hoe much better it will be in pearl white tO match the body paint

HKAye4A.jpg
this front may be going on the gold body. I’ve got one more front coming that I will choose from for the box art body

• Like 1

Well I shot the original rear in pearl white but I have to say I’m not exactly happy with the color match. 
he4A6MP.jpg

is kind feels yellow / tan. 
R8L53JI.jpg
I think I’ll have to go back to the pure white. What you you think?

• Like 1

ZSmkFiU.jpg
these bumpers are a slow go as there are many steps. I have to admit that this is the most exciting part. Well this and the decals!!

• Like 1

I can consider my build complete, except for a few smalls. 
EjaImHn.jpg

1XfAmC3.jpg
7wscxJh.jpg

Zo1TcJi.jpg

hu1i9br.jpg

1CoJciJ.jpg

F3b7Pi2.jpg

• Like 8

I can’t believe how far I have come and Yes I love it!!  Now It’s easy to pick my favorite car.

geJHwSX.jpg

The 58036!

• Like 1

lJ2aQPb.jpg

ryH4QlV.jpg

JuzF09k.jpg

Shout out to Ashton of 3D Print Solutions UK for scanning a pair original 58036 Audi Quattro Rally bumpers to be able to offer the community these reproductions!  He even made some rally lights. I’ll be putting this bumper on the gold body.  Just wanted to give him a plug here in case anyone needs 58036 front / rears / rally lights. Real nice of him to agree to scan and produce just for me!!

• Like 2

i love this Kit, it was my first RC-CAR ever. i also have a NIB Kit of the 58036 an intend to built it but never painted a lexan Body :-( im skilled in painting ABS but Lexan ???? i always her that paint doen,t stick well ??? also i would like to paint stripes from inside, does anybody tried this before and can give me some advice for? 

1 hour ago, DesPrinzla said:

i love this Kit, it was my first RC-CAR ever. i also have a NIB Kit of the 58036 an intend to built it but never painted a lexan Body :-( im skilled in painting ABS but Lexan ???? i always her that paint doen,t stick well ??? also i would like to paint stripes from inside, does anybody tried this before and can give me some advice for? 

You just need the correct paint. Polycarbonate by Tamiya works for me. The only reason I have bodies that the paint doesn’t stick is if I use the wrong paint. Stripes should be the same as abs. Just tape them off. Can we see some pics of the new in box 58036?

Excellent job, looks amazing. Nothing better imho than taking something a bit broken and unloved and turning it into a showcase car. Awesome.

0UIArc1.jpgI’ve had the 58036 for a while now. And I finally have a build update for you all. 

As your recall I’ve been running around with the HCT rims and tires which I am truly thank full to Tamiya for making. Because without these I would be unable to run and the rims are identical to 58036 rims however the HCT tires are slightly smaller

7LGTqSz.jpg

Since before this build thread was started I retained two original wheels from my 58036 BITD

sgOKJw7.jpg
one front 

ZjWD1yX.jpgand one rear. Where the other side is your guess is as good as mine 

Along the way I’ve was able to pick up a minty pair of rears, sporting a nice silver paint job. 
JLy4R4k.jpg

and I’ve been running one of the originals as a spare tire on the re re wild Willy’s body because you can’t do much with three rear tires and one front tire. 
HFdpbkY.jpg

other than clean everything up and wait for an original front tire to come to me 

aIHRp2k.jpg

• Like 2

And look what came in the mail today!!

KYUZkq4.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Sweeeet !!   - worth the wait eh ?

Yeah. I didn’t realize how badly I needed it till I found someone who had just 1 front spare.