Sign in to follow this  
Bastiaan

Restoring blue Acto Power- 2 questions

Hi all,

I’m restoring a blue Acto Power motor. I’m not into the technical stuff. So I’ve got 2 questions. I looked on the web for answers, but I cant seem to find any. There isn’t much info on these motors it seems. 

-the black washer, FRP it seems, is broken. See photo, the arrow is pointing towards the one I am referring to. Where can I find a replacement? Or an alternative type?

-brushes: is the standard Tamiya racing motor set (53581) a good replacement? Totally in the dark here.

FBXHY1x.jpg

Thanks!!!

Instructions sheet might help,, and that larger ‘washer’ doesn’t seem to appear here. Someone else should know if the brushes you mentioned are a fair replacement for the original spare parts in 2nd image.

E9537B25-0041-4AE8-B7C6-9ADA978D10B4.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Futureworks! If I’m correct the standard 53581 brushes are a replacement for the 53307 so that should work. 

The manual you posted does not show the larger frp washer part but I suspect it’s there looking at the picture. Do you know if these washers can be bought separately?

They are a standard piece across all brushed motors. Yes, they could be bought separately in the past (although perhaps not from Tamiya), but as with all brushed motor parts, they are difficult to get hold of now.

• Like 1

It’s worth taking a look at this forum topic which was started a few months back where you will find lots of members here who are fans of brushed motors. I seem to remember that @mud4fun mentioned that he regularly rebuilds and maintains these sort of older style motors (Acto Power/ Dyna Run), so may know where to source the bit you need.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bastiaan said:

-the black washer, FRP it seems, is broken. See photo, the arrow is pointing towards the one I am referring to. Where can I find a replacement? Or an alternative type?

Sometimes they get brittle overtime. Those are called phenolic washers. It's a non conductive fiber board similar to a circuit board but thinner and more flexible. It's good up to a certain amount of heat and supposedly moisture resistant. It's been a little challenging finding them lately since the decline of brushed motors. I have this last stash of Trinity ones just to show for reference. But, I'm sure it's still being made somewhere because some brands still make rebuildable brushed motors (at least within the crawler genre).

Your other options:

- search for the material maybe on fleabay and other online hobby shops

- find generic phenolic washers and measure what you have—then find something similar. I know they use it for tattoo guns but don't know if the sizes are similar, maybe the guns are larger

- some brushed motors actually use rubber o-rings instead of phenolic washers. I haven't used them on Tamiya motors but a few of my non-Tamiya brushed motors have had rubber o-rings and I know some people who rebuild use them sometimes

- then, there are washer fiber boards that other people recommend. Not sure if this is a good idea since it's not moisture resistant and I've never done this

So if you find the proper phenolic washer and plan to keep using rebuildable brushed motors, just snag it up. Good luck!

IMG_0662.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Brushes for 540 motor size are all the same. Standard size.

Actually there have been many different sizes of brushes for 540 motors although the majority of motors will use either a "standup" or "laydown" brush which are the same size but a different orientation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

Sometimes they get brittle overtime. Those are called phenolic washers. It's a non conductive fiber board similar to a circuit board but thinner and more flexible. It's good up to a certain amount of heat and supposedly moisture resistant. It's been a little challenging finding them lately since the decline of brushed motors. I have this last stash of Trinity ones just to show for reference. But, I'm sure it's still being made somewhere because some brands still make rebuildable brushed motors (at least within the crawler genre).

Your other options:

- search for the material maybe on fleabay and other online hobby shops

- find generic phenolic washers and measure what you have—then find something similar. I know they use it for tattoo guns but don't know if the sizes are similar, maybe the guns are larger

- some brushed motors actually use rubber o-rings instead of phenolic washers. I haven't used them on Tamiya motors but a few of my non-Tamiya brushed motors have had rubber o-rings and I know some people who rebuild use them sometimes

- then, there are washer fiber boards that other people recommend. Not sure if this is a good idea since it's not moisture resistant and I've never done this

So if you find the proper phenolic washer and plan to keep using rebuildable brushed motors, just snag it up. Good luck!

IMG_0662.jpg

Thanks Mechanic AH! This helps. Going to start a search for these shims!

In my opinion, the fiber shim is an isolator. The metal shims are to center the rotor to the magnetic field.

• Like 1

Job done! A nice fellow on the Tamiya Legends site on Facebook send me some fiber washers. Runs like a charm!

iVQ9l4c.jpg

• Like 3