Jack77

beginner and the hornet

Hi, ....any tips/help/pushes welcome....thanks in advance.   I've hit a wall. I bought a Hornet kit and an additional battery pack which i was told gave me everything i would require.   I think I am however missing a receiver ?  The pack i received included the battery pack, charger, servo, cable and rechargeables for the remote controller which was also included.  Included with the remote controller was a wee box with a wire and a female connecter.  I presume the receiver or the part i need marries up the female with the male.  I have  attached a pic (not shown is the battery pack/charger) but what do i additionally need and what model/make would you recommend.  thanks again.....

Hi there,

If that "wee box with the wire" is the thing at the bottom right of that picture - you're in luck - that's the receiver ;)

You just plug the black/yellow/red wire coming out of the speed controller (middle of the picture) into the receiver's throttle / channel 2, and that will usually power it too. Then just plug in the steering servo wire into channel 1.

You then need to connect the motor to the ESC (speed controller). Your speed controller looks like it can handle brushless and brushed motors. Brushless motors needs the 3rd wire - brushed do not (that's what you have). I can't quite read it, but assuming that is a TBLE or something like it, you just connect the blue ESC wire to the green motor wire, and yellow to yellow - you can ignore the orange wire. Wiring is shown here: https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/electronics/rc-esc-tble-02s-brushless/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack77 said:

Hi, ....any tips/help/pushes welcome....thanks in advance.   I've hit a wall. I bought a Hornet kit and an additional battery pack which i was told gave me everything i would require.   I think I am however missing a receiver ?  The pack i received included the battery pack, charger, servo, cable and rechargeables for the remote controller which was also included.  Included with the remote controller was a wee box with a wire and a female connecter.  I presume the receiver or the part i need marries up the female with the male.  I have  attached a pic (not shown is the battery pack/charger) but what do i additionally need and what model/make would you recommend.  thanks again.....

As @gordb states, you appear to have all you need. Here is how it all goes together in a Hornet:

2021-03-14_10-14-11

(My electronic gear is of different make and model to yours, but the idea is the same.)

• Like 1

You might need to bind the receiver to the transmitter . If you got instructions with the items it should explain the method you need to use

thanks for your help......has anyone had issues pairing up the speed controller...?  ive followed the instructions turning on everything, hitting the set button which then goes through the colours and flashes red.  Then putting on gas, again hitting set and then brake and set again.  The unit however stays flashing red and LED wont turn off as instructed.  This is for the high point setup.  Any ways around this or am i doing something stupid.  

i also have to do brake and neutral setups ?

thanks again in advance...

cheers

IMG_3721.JPG

2 hours ago, Jack77 said:

thanks for your help......has anyone had issues pairing up the speed controller...?  ive followed the instructions turning on everything, hitting the set button which then goes through the colours and flashes red.  Then putting on gas, again hitting set and then brake and set again.  The unit however stays flashing red and LED wont turn off as instructed.  This is for the high point setup.  Any ways around this or am i doing something stupid.  

i also have to do brake and neutral setups ?

thanks again in advance...

cheers

As @SupraChrgd82 points out, the ESC needs to be plugged into the correct receiver port (usually number 2) to calibrate and work correctly.

The control input from each control on the transmitter is fed out via a different channel port on the receiver. The ESC needs to be plugged into the one that is feeding out the input you are giving via the throttle on the controller, otherwise it won't know what you are trying to make it do.

During calibration, the ESC is learning what signals mean "Full forwards", "Full backwards" and "Hold still", and it won't progress to the next stage of calibration until it is finished learning the one that it is on. Thus, if not connected to the correct channel port, it won't be picking up the signal changes caused by your movements of the throttle on the transmitter, so it won't progress through the calibration process.

• Like 1

thanks for all the help... i got a very fun 20 minutes out of my hornet before the part that connects the steering rods to the servo broke.  Is this common and is there an upgrade possible ?  thanks again

IMG_3738.JPG

It’s called a servo saver. Tamiya do a hop up one, part code 51000