Lukas666

Sand Scorcher

Thinking of my next build and my local shop can get me a sand scorcher no problem or a Kyosho Ultima. Anyone have any views on either?.... I currently own a re release lunchbox and Hornet. Both have ball bearings throughout and a sport tuned mtr. Love those RC’s but maybe want something with a little more potential to go faster now. What is the Scorcher safely capable of? I know the Ultima I’ve seen running lipo with Lemans 490 or 12T motors. I love the look of the Scorcher tho and I love that it has more aluminum parts and Allan head screws. I assume the scorcher comes with ball bearings? I dont need anything to crazy but around 45-50km/hr would be awesome and looking for input on what setup to maybe achieve that.... if possible on a NIMH setup. Look forward to anyone’s input thanks.

I don't think the Sand Scorcher can do 45-50km/h. More like 1/2 that but to be verified by someone more expert than myself.

Well my hornet with ball bearings and a sport tuned does 37km/hr. I’d think 45ish should be achievable.

42 minutes ago, Lukas666 said:

Well my hornet with ball bearings and a sport tuned does 37km/hr. I’d think 45ish should be achievable.

Don't have a Sand Scorcher but it will probably be my next when the new batch comes out. But its really for the shelf. No diff (although you can get one), pot metal parts and a top heavy hard body. Very gentle running, preferably at the beach, is all they're really meant for.

The Ultima will probably handle decent power though as it was one of the best race chassis BITD.

If you like the Scorcher, what about a Blitzer Beetle? Same body but on a more modern chassis that by all accounts can take a lot of punishment.

After spending all the time it takes to paint the sand scorcher body shell, you’re not going to want to run it very fast

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Lukas666 said:

Except, of course, that compared to a Sand Scorcher, your Hornet weighs next to nothing. No diff means it's not as stable at high speeds, either, and it's a lot more top heavy. They're really not built to go fast, just to look **** cool.

If you want a performance compromise, then the Ultima is a truly fantastic car, and in terms of driving experience and potential, it's leagues ahead of the SS. You could stick a Kyosho Beetle (or a Kamtec) shell on it with some minor fiddling...

Good to know thanks.... I love the way the scorcher looks but don’t wanna destroy it if I build it.... gotta make a decision. With Covid can only get those 2 that were on my list. Otherwise the scorpion would be my first choice or the 4x4 optima. I have a family member that runs an online RC site... I mentioned these two cars to him & his opinion and he said “stop playing with toys and get a real car”!!!..... That kinda *******ed me off. I know there’s RC’s that are miles ahead of these old models.... they are dinosaurs but you build and run them knowing that, at least I do. I could dump my money in to a RC of today that handles and goes 80km/hr for cheaper than what I’ve spent on Tamiya re releases but that’s not the point. The cars of today don’t appeal to me at all really.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Don't have a Sand Scorcher but it will probably be my next when the new batch comes out. But its really for the shelf. No diff (although you can get one), pot metal parts and a top heavy hard body. Very gentle running, preferably at the beach, is all they're really meant for.

The Ultima will probably handle decent power though as it was one of the best race chassis BITD.

If you like the Scorcher, what about a Blitzer Beetle? Same body but on a more modern chassis that by all accounts can take a lot of punishment.

No availability on the Blitzer... I mean sure you can find it most likely on eBay for $100 shipping and marked right up... 

If you want a more comparable substitution for the Sand Scorcher, take a look at the Kyosho Scorpion line.  Still has that cool look (including a front and rear trailing arm suspension) with much better performance to the Sand Scorcher.  Would be a step down from the Ultima but definitely a step up from the Scorcher.

• Like 3

I own the following re-res.. refuse to call them by re-re names

1. sand scorcher

2. rough rider 

3. Scorpion

4. tomahawk 

5. optima

My name is Raman and I’m an RCaholic.

I love them all to pieces. They are all fantastic to drive in their own right.  My Sand Scorcher currently has a 13.5 brushless in it, it can handle the speed just fine but I will add that I have RC Channel suspension, which makes a huge difference, much more than a ball diff. Unfortunately it’s currently unavailable.

The Kyosho cars are a wolf in sheep’s clothing. They updated them to handle better without you really noticing. So the re-re Scorpion is 1000% better than original I had. Same goes for the rest.  

So my vote to you is the Ultima. You can drop an 8.5 brushless motor in there and it will handle it no problem.

• Like 3

Nowadays, brushless motors and Lipo batteries make it easy to make any car achieve top speeds that were unimaginable when I was a kid.

Whether the car will handle at that speed or even be controllable, is another question.