markb_s1

fitting a bigger bumper to a DT03?

Hi folks.

I've had yet another prang in my DT03 and seem to have cracked the front end of the chassis :(

I've noticed that newer buggies (at least, by dark impact and neo fighter) seem to have much less in terms of front bumpers compared to the old tamiyas i used to smash about the place when i was a kid.

Other than the obvious need for my driving skills to improve, does anyone have any ideas if I could mount an old style (thinking boomerang-esque rather than frog) to my DT03 to protect the front end a bit better?

Maybe it's just a matter of buying a re-re of one of the cars I used to have when i was a kid and enjoying the enhanced bumper protection that goes with it!?

Alternatively, am I bashing the wrong cars? Should I just go for something with a bit more tyre like a monster beetle or blackfoot?

7 minutes ago, markb_s1 said:

Hi folks.

I've had yet another prang in my DT03 and seem to have cracked the front end of the chassis :(

I've noticed that newer buggies (at least, by dark impact and neo fighter) seem to have much less in terms of front bumpers compared to the old tamiyas i used to smash about the place when i was a kid.

Other than the obvious need for my driving skills to improve, does anyone have any ideas if I could mount an old style (thinking boomerang-esque rather than frog) to my DT03 to protect the front end a bit better?

Maybe it's just a matter of buying a re-re of one of the cars I used to have when i was a kid and enjoying the enhanced bumper protection that goes with it!?

Alternatively, am I bashing the wrong cars? Should I just go for something with a bit more tyre like a monster beetle or blackfoot?

Sadly the DT-03 is a bit weak up front, and and even with a bumper is prone to breakage, as the collision forces will still be passed through to the chassis to which the bumper is attached.

If front-end breakage is going to be an ongoing issue for you, you might be better off getting a DT-02 chassis tub, and transferring your suspension and gearbox across onto that. It is somewhat stronger and more collision resistant at the front end.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. Maybe that's the way forward. what would I need other than the chassis tub? Any ideas?

wishbones? Suspension towers?

The wishbones are the same for both models, as are the rest of the suspension and drivetrain components. In addition to the tub, you'd want sprue 0004253 for the shock towers and 9115154 for the front bumper and battery hold down. 

2 hours ago, markb_s1 said:

Probably that big, but not that heavy duty if it's made of the angle iron it appears to be! :D

It was made heavy duty, to hold the 2s Lipo, for a 5s speed run 😏

Its never taken a hit, but doubt the chassis would actually hold up to much.

2021-03-15_09-20-32

• Like 1

I have gone down the route of converting from a DT-02(T) to a DT-02 - i have yet to transfer the gearbox and build the DT-02 (I bought a Sand viper full kit) Reason being the DT-03 Chassis is a bit weak esp. with 2s (sometimes 3s) and my boys playing with it. I also kept snapping the outdrives too although tbf they are lengthened ones with wider hexs to widen the odd DT-03 narrow rear track which doesn't help. I have also actually split the side of the gearbox casing as well (cartwheel at full chat)  -so I have gone through 1 DT-03 Chassis and DT-03/02 Gearbox casing!!!

The DT-02 chassis tub also gives more support to the gearbox casing, so hopefully that won't be an issue once you do the swap.

Been thinking about this a bit more and i'm also now wondering if the cracked front end could actually be to the woefully soft damping on the front suspension.

I changes my rear springs go DF03 ones so maybe i should do the fronts as well, as I'd hit a few fairly large jumps before i noticed the front was cracked yesterday too.  

I think for the moment i'll just replace the chassis for £15 or whatever it costs and do the springs at the same time.

So.. that went well.. ordered a new DT-03 chassis, plus replaced the front springs with the ones form my Dark Impact, plus ordered a lunchbox with new radio gear because I have no self control.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1