rc-martin

Faster Fast Attack Vehicle

Always loved the look of the FAV and Wild One, they're good buggies but they're not great buggies.

I'm trying to improve the driving experience of the FAV without spoiling any of it's charm.

Suspension wise the front is rubbish, just springs, I could use Wild One front shock towers but the overall look of the front suspension looks chunky. If only there was a better scale looking option.....

SRB? Widened to fit the wider track of the FAV? Mounted on a GRP chassis? Could use a Super Champ servo saver and have equal length track rods?

Had a bit of a think and then hacked my old Wild One chassis up with the dremel and mocked up a cardboard template of what I imagined a GRP chassis would involve. 

20210306_173948.jpg

20210306_173959.jpg

• Like 4

Got some fancy carbon tube that is a direct replacement for the standard alloy tubes, widened by about 25mm than a standard SRB

20210306_185854.jpg

• Like 4

Sketched out the chassis dimensions and drew it up in Fusion360 and then used our CNC mini router at work to cut the plate out of 2mm G10 GRP

20210310_144815.jpg

• Like 6

On the top side I've fitted a Super Champ servo saver and a battery holder from a RC10 as the battery is going to fit longways to aid chassis balance.

Also drilled and tapped the front hubs to accept 5mm ball connectors instead of the small 4mm ones

20210310_144801.jpg

• Like 10

Excellent, I love it!  I always enjoy a good custom project :)

With the SRB front suspension sorted it was time to address the rear end.

I decided to go the Frog gearbox route like I've seen a few times but instead of using the Frog alloy side plates I was going to make my own using the same GRP as I'd used for the chassis.

Another plus of using the Frog gearbox is that I can then use the MIP super ball diff. 

I cut the excess off the Frog gearbox case and made the plates so I could use the standard FAV mounts.

I also got some Frog universal joints to finish the drive train off.

20210316_233137.jpg

20210316_234641.jpg

• Like 9

Fabtastic!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A bit more progress on the FAV.

Gearbox built up with MIP super ball diff and Frog UJ's

Wing mounts fabricated and Kyosho Scorpion Scorpion wing mounted

Kyosho Turbo Scorpion wheels because they look sooo cool 😎

20210506_225850.jpg

20210506_225838.jpg

20210506_225823.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I really like that :) anything that looks like it could exist as a 1:1 car or as a genuine model kit is a great build, IMO :)

Thought it was time to update, I ran the FAV at last years Revival and it went pretty well, finished as the fastest Tamiya car in the year group which was full of Kyosho Scorpions and Tomahawks.

Here are some snaps from the event

FB_IMG_1628019795675.jpg

FB_IMG_1628019790456.jpg

FB_IMG_1628019782829.jpg

• Like 8

We've all had problems with SRB front hubs popping out of their joints, so i made up some new front arms to use 5mm ball ends, 3d printed in carbon PLA. 

I later changed the front upright as well back to the standard FAV nylon type

20210602_145040.jpg

• Like 1

After looking at and racing against all the Kyoshos at Revival 2021 I thought that the quality of the Kyosho components was fantastic and thought I needed some of that bling in my life.

The Scorpion and Tomahawk both use front and rear trailing arms, same as the FAV so it stands to reason that without too much hassle that it would fit the FAV and for about the price of a new car I bought all the suspension components for a Scorpion :o

With a bit of head scratching and a couple of false starts I got the rear arms fitted using a 3d printed sandwich block and a carbon fibre strap, the block mounts to the original chassis without modifications so that was a bonus. 

20211227_004832.jpg

20211227_162920.jpg

20211227_162835.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Has the driver got celery growing out of his head????

Some astro turf i found, so stuck it to his helmet as a mohican :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Some more of the mishmash FAV.

Kyosho Scorpion front suspension now fitted and rear suspension mounts now incorporated into the GRP chassis plate

IMG_20220108_221253_614.jpg

20220111_211911.jpg

20220108_180334.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, No Slack said:

What I like: the driver handles this faster FAV with one hand. :D Hero.

He waves with the other hand 😁