silvertriple

My Turbo Scorpion

3 minutes ago, TurboRSR said:

How did you manage to keep the bulbs in place inside the reflectors? Put leds in mine yesterday but the bulbs are pointing in all directions, can't find a way to keep them in place. 

Just snapped them in (no glue, nothing else than pushing the lens in). If it doesn't snap in, may be the led is not perfectly seated in... It was the same for all four, but one was slightly more difficult than others, but it was because the led was not seated perfectly... Also make sure you have cut the grey portion on the rear parts : it is allowing the led wires to go out, and that piece is the last one I put in place: that ease the led to enter in proper position. If you started by this rear part, the led won't seat, a it should act as a retainer for the led outer ring.

36 minutes ago, silvertriple said:

Just snapped them in (no glue, nothing else than pushing the lens in). If it doesn't snap in, may be the led is not perfectly seated in... It was the same for all four, but one was slightly more difficult than others, but it was because the led was not seated perfectly...

The lenses went fine to push in, the problem is the led bulbs. They are sitting loose and are now pointing in all directions inside the reflector. Maybe your led bulbs are a bit longer so that they are kept in place by the lens?

Edit: I found the problem. The rim on the led bulbs is a bit to small so that they easily goes through the hole in the reflector, then they are not seated as the are supposed to. Luckily I managed to push out the lens by pushing on the reflector from behind so that I can fix it. 

5 minutes ago, TurboRSR said:

The lenses went fine to push in, the problem is the led bulbs. They are sitting loose and are now pointing in all directions inside the reflector. Maybe your led bulbs are a bit longer so that they are kept in place by the lens?

It was 4 standard 5mm white leds.  3 mm leds are too small for this. But if it is the one in the picture, it definitely looked like those... And looking at the bulbs on the Turbo Scorpion, it looks like the lens is not against the leds, I believe they are sealed by the black part you use to close the rear of the bulb.

• Like 1

Just now, silvertriple said:

It was 4 standard 5mm white leds.  3 mm leds are too small for this. But if it is the one in the picture, it definitely looked like those... And looking at the bulbs on the Turbo Scorpion, it looks like the lens is not against the leds, I believe they are sealed by the black part you use to close the rear of the bulb.

Did an update to my previous post right before you replied :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TurboRSR said:

Did an update to my previous post right before you replied :) 

The first time you asked about this in the thread was mid may... Looks like you do how to tease about an in progress build :-D

Looking forward for the pics of your finished Turbo Scorpion :-D

Tonight, while the sun was going down, I ran the Turbo Scorpion on the garden track... This track seems to work well, but I need to find a way to add some ramps and jumps....

Z1cZSp2.jpg
ag6eHfU.jpg

For the small story, the hay collection works very much better with the Super Hotshot than with the Kyoshos...
z6W32qW.jpg
a4qAC2K.jpg
... And in the case of the Turbo Scorpion, at the first pull on the trigger, the hay goes off :-D

I finished by a quick clean up after a photo shoot at sunset time. The clean up did not took long...
bPK9uPw.jpg?1
kuRilke.jpg
PH8yXFN.jpg
nPmwpMn.jpg

Looking at the rear side, I'm considering changing the way to fix the rear led lights to do something allowing to fix the leds without bucket lights in the same spirit than what I did with the Super Hotshot... I probably need to think more...

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 6:29 PM, StephenPM said:

IMG_0405.jpeg

What color/paint did you use on the wheels? I'm considering a set of those Turbo Scorpion wheels for a project, whenever the rears are available again.  They seem to be out of stock just about everywhere.  The Kyosho website mentioned August for re-stocking, but we are past that...

4 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

What color/paint did you use on the wheels? I'm considering a set of those Turbo Scorpion wheels for a project, whenever the rears are available again.  They seem to be out of stock just about everywhere.  The Kyosho website mentioned August for re-stocking, but we are past that...

There is wheels set on ebay for which the rim just look like the Kyosho Turbo Scorpion. I've ordered a set of white, to be able to check the quality. Delivery expected at the end of the month...

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2021 at 1:43 AM, silvertriple said:

There is wheels set on ebay for which the rim just look like the Kyosho Turbo Scorpion. I've ordered a set of white, to be able to check the quality. Delivery expected at the end of the month...

You know, I saw that mentioned elsewhere before, but I never saw them on ebay.  Apparently I changed my search words or something, because I just came across these!  Ordered!

On 9/14/2021 at 6:08 PM, SlideWRX said:

You know, I saw that mentioned elsewhere before, but I never saw them on ebay.  Apparently I changed my search words or something, because I just came across these!  Ordered!

Well, to be clear on this, it seems it is easier to pull them when you search for Grasshopper, Hornet, Fox or Wild One wheels on ebay. That being said, They maybe very well copies of Kyosho rims, or bought from the same original manufacturer. I'm looking forward to receive them, so I can really compare.

I got these copies from ebay , and they look good. The spokes have a slight satin/matte finish, and the rest is shiny. The tires I got are medium, medium/soft-ish compound.

bIMG_0936b.thumb.jpg.42ea092864f0c0cd85ed147e82873b1e.jpg

IMG_0935_low.jpg.35be57ba4ff73b8790ded87817d69601.jpg

bIMG_0937b.jpg.f0525245b6f7215625d9e7ac10af6201.jpg

• Like 1