Sign in to follow this  
Boomstick

What am I missing here?

Am I missing something with these shock mounts or is this just a bad design? 

Ifi mount the socks the way the ad shows, they are completely compressed. If I try to mount them like the factory mounts, the shock hits the mount and are at an angle to the swingarms. 

Screenshot_20210317-153403.png

IMG_20210317_042959.jpg

Bad design, scrap aluminum that will work better for literally anything other than what they're intended.

They attempted to improve them by adding (monster truck announcer voice) THREE MOUNTING POSITIONS! but they should have just stuck with a single hole in the same place as the original mounts.

None of the three locations works for the stock shocks. You either have to fit super long ball ends so the springs clear, or super short shocks so they're not fully compressed at full trailing arm extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another option I've been mulling is to pick a location and Dremel off any excess material. And possibly drill new holes if none of the other locations work, even after grinding.

1 minute ago, El Gecko said:

Another option I've been mulling is to pick a location and Dremel off any excess material. And possibly drill new holes if none of the other locations work, even after grinding.

I was thinking of just cutting the end off so it doesn't hit the shock body. I sent the seller a message asking how these are supposed to work and haven't heard back yet...lol...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Boomstick said:

I was thinking of just cutting the end off so it doesn't hit the shock body. I sent the seller a message asking how these are supposed to work and haven't heard back yet...lol...

If you actually get a response, I can't wait to hear the explanation :lol:

• Like 1

If you want better shock mounts for a Blackfoot, look for the old JG shock towers/body mounts that stood the shocks up a little, to about a 40 degree angle. Improved the geometry a bunch, and made the shocks feel more progressive.

• Like 1

I think I've finally figured out what to do with these things...

shockmount_wheeliebar.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, OgNewb said:

Wrong hole. You are in the top hole. Not the rear hole.

Things my wife will never say...

• Haha 3