chuckjaywalk

Ninetiesest Fluorescentest Buggy

I got interested in the hobby in the early 90's, reading RC Car Action magazine each month for years and fantasizing about the cars. I only just this month bought my first Hobby Grade RC car and I'm contemplating my second. What I have on my mind is a fluorescent festooned 90's style 1/10 scale buggy. What are your favorite 90's racing buggies? What are the sturdiest and most repairable 90's buggies? Am I better off going crazy with the paint on a modern buggy?  

If it has to be 90’s vintage, I like the DF01 chassis buggies, more specifically the Top Force or Manta Ray. Shout out to @Ferruz’s Manta Ray for the best looking “fluorescentiest” 90’s buggy.  

• Thanks 1

Years ago, I built an Ultima with some 80s/90s bits plus some modern wheels/tires and gave it a very fluorescent paint job. My favorite buggies are the Ultimas and RC10s from the late 80s and early 90s. It's probably easier to find parts for the RC10s.

img18_09052010014558_2.jpg

• Like 3

That is exactly the sort of thing I have in mind. I might lean a bit kitschier and go for the drip paint style that was all the rage for a bit, but I've never been accused of good taste.

• Haha 1

I've been wanting to do something similar.  I've never been into racing but got into rc in the early 90s and the magazines were full of luminous buggies.  I was thinking of a manta ray but have decided to wait to see if Schumacher or kyosho re release any more old buggies.  

11 minutes ago, davidwj95 said:

I've been wanting to do something similar.  I've never been into racing but got into rc in the early 90s and the magazines were full of luminous buggies.  I was thinking of a manta ray but have decided to wait to see if Schumacher or kyosho re release any more old buggies.  

While I did race back then, my dad painted our buggies and he always had a thing for metal flakes and pearls. Never had a bright 90’s ish flouro paint scheme.. More the Classic “hot Rod “ look.

To me the most 90’s ish RTR or almost RTR paint job in that era was the Pink, Green and Black Kyosho Raider.

There’s my vote for Ninetiesest

BD4DD223-F04B-43E9-A2DA-44712410F04A.jpeg

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

While I did race back then, my dad painted our buggies and he always had a thing for metal flakes and pearls. Never had a bright 90’s ish flouro paint scheme.. More the Classic “hot Rod “ look.

To me the most 90’s ish RTR or almost RTR paint job in that era was the Pink, Green and Black Kyosho Raider.

Very 90's!  I had clothes in the same colours as that buggy back in 1990/91.

I love the day glow wheels, I remember seeing wheels like that back in the day and wanting some for my hornet. 

I thought about painting or dying my wheels something bright when I got a used original one this year ( on eBay ).

Where is that blue and yellow Mantaray?

One of our Members has the best lokking manta ray in the whole club!!

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, whahooo said:

Where is that blue and yellow Mantaray?

One of our Members has the best lokking manta ray in the whole club!!

That would be @Ferruz

When I think '90s racing buggy, I immediately think of Losi. Especially around the JRX-Pro/XX era. I don't think you could get anything BUT day-glo wheels for those things...

Kinwald's RC10 Worlds car comes to mind as well, but it's navy blue and white, downright subdued for  back then.

3 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

This one instantly came to mind for me too!

Honourable mention for the Nikko Dictator 4 but loses points for non-fluorescent wheels.

LUZZfTO.jpg

• Like 1

And also in fluorescent colours, the new entry Terra Scorcher!

20210119-161414.jpg

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Umm, what about the Super Astute? Just a white body but the decals...

I was looking for this post, dissappointed to find it so far down the page though, especially with its recent rerelease 😐

• Like 2

Oddly, I have a screamin' neon/fluorescent buggy project somewhere in my stack. I'm using an RC10 as a base. Besides being from that era, RC10's had neon colored chassis tubs available from Associated back then. They also featured dyable white nylon plastics. Unfortunately Litespeed's Dylon isn't around anymore but RIT brought back neon green and neon yellow into their arsenal of colors. I've been experimenting with them. They are kinda subdued on some nylons but seem to work pretty well on the junk broken RC10 stuff I've tested it on.    

• Like 1

11 hours ago, davidwj95 said:

Very 90's!  I had clothes in the same colours as that buggy back in 1990/91.

Lol, I was going to post exactly the same thing :D  was it a shell suit, perchance..?

I love your Manta Ray and Terra Scorcher.

In fact, i never did like the Manta Ray till i saw yours!

Both cars are very capable allround fun Buggies.

Today we finished our Mad Kitty:

20210320_150517.thumb.jpg.52a4a7d55444e866138862ceb222d23d.jpg

Sadly we didn't got the Sticker underneath the 32 right.

• Like 3