whahooo

The real Motorlimit of Tamiya ESCs

Hello,

we all know that Tamiya ESCs are more capable than they say.

I´ve saw people who just ignore the Motorlimits (25Turn, or a Sporttuned) and put 19t or 17t Motors in it.

25t Motors are hard to get and most of them do no make a huge difference, the Sporttuned Motor is very nice, but it is timed so you can`t put 2 of them in a Clod or Dagger....

The only Motor that i have found that is within the 25t Motorlimit and is "timeable with some tweaks" was the "GT Tuned" Motor with 500 Tourque and 19,000rpm, that is fine but a Super Stock would be more awesome. (i`ve put a hobbywing and 2 Super Stockers in a wild Dagger and it`s very fast in my opinion)

So what do you think?

Are the Tamiya ESCs more capable?

What Tamiya ESC do you use and what is the hottest Motor you successfully use with them?

Do you "mod" your ESCs with bigger coolingelements?

I don't have a great deal of knowledge about esc's or electrics but I ran a super stock BZ with no problems at all in a Novafox using a teu101bk👍

I think I read somewhere (although it may have been misinformation) that the Super Stock range of motors was designed to work with the TEU-101BK even though the number of turns was lower than the ESC's published limit.  Now I don't know if that is true, but I do know that I ran a TZ, RZ and two BZs on 101BKs for many years without a single failure.  I also ran an LRP 19turn touring motor on a 101BK for a while but it was dog slow, the Super Stocks (while technically higher turn) always felt way faster than the LRP 19.

I know people have blown 101s before, I'm sure there were posts here back when they were popular that they would fail after a few uses, but I suspect a quality control issue on a particular batch.  I have had loads of 101s over the years (still got most of them somewhere) and never had a single one fail, even when running them way above their theoretical limits.

For a while I was running a "waterproofed" 101BK and Super Stock BZ combo - I stretched party balloons over the motor and the ESC.  After a while both balloons melted - the metal plate on top of the 101 acts as a heat sink and gets hot when running hard.  Even with the lack of airflow from the balloon, I never had a problem.

You could clamp on an aluminium heatsink with some thermal paste and a cooling fan if you wanted to push even harder, I'd be interested to see how hard you can run a 101 before the magic smoke comes out.

My Particular Interrest is in the Teu-106 BK for a dual Super Stock Setup. I`ve heared that a lot of People run hotter Motors with standard Tamiya ESCs, but never heared that someone run a dual Setup.....

• Like 1

I got a short course truck without an esc and stole my 106 from my clod to test it with a single 15t 550 motor. It ran ok for 5mins of trigger happy running but then it thermalled and had to cool down. 

Don’t really know if that helps other than to say that a 15t 550 likely is too low for it. 

• Like 1

I’m still trying to figure out what the one that can run brushed and sensored brushless can handle, I wouldn’t mind a sensored motor in my Lunchbox at some point, after all.

19 minutes ago, BJoe76 said:

I’m still trying to figure out what the one that can run brushed and sensored brushless can handle, I wouldn’t mind a sensored motor in my Lunchbox at some point, after all.

I have that same ESC in my Midnight pumpkin ( and a m06 chassis ) and have wondered the same thing. 

I would guess that tamiya (or any esc manufacturer) puts a conservative number on their turn limit, especially for the cheap mass produced stuff like the ones they put in every kit as standard. 

Electronic components have a tolerance range and 2 seemingly identical escs might handle a hotter motor better or worse than the other. 

Also, they have to cater for multiple driving styles and even climates - if you're using your car in 40 degree temperatures, you won't get away with as hot a motor as the same esc in 10 temperatures, for example. 

For these reasons, I would guess they state a conservative limit.

Also for these reasons, just because someone else gets away with a motor with fewer turns than the limit specifies, it doesn't mean you will too. 

Conversely, I have seen 101s overheat running a sport tuned during 5-minute races. 

9 hours ago, whahooo said:

the Sporttuned Motor is very nice, but it is timed so you can`t put 2 of them in a Clod or Dagger....

Have you tried? Or is it an assumption based on the different rpm in forward and reverse directions? When they are in and running, they can't not be going the same rpm, since they will be coupled through the contact with the ground...

6 hours ago, whahooo said:

My Particular Interrest is in the Teu-106 BK for a dual Super Stock Setup. I`ve heared that a lot of People run hotter Motors with standard Tamiya ESCs, but never heared that someone run a dual Setup.....

I wouldnt push the 106BK, not a great ESC.  As @ad456 said, they will thermal pretty quick with anything other than stock silvercans and I've even had them shut down when using dual high torque servos (weak BEC).  

• Like 1

If you cut the plastic timing lock tabs on the tamiya super stock motors you can advance or inhibit the timing. They don't really like advancing much further though. 

This is a really easy mod. 

This means you can then reverse the timing so they run in a Clod Buster properly. 

The Tamiya TEU 106 will run dual super stocks in this way on nimh batteries. 

I would always recommend the Hobbywing Quicrun 0880 Dual Motor Brushed ESC (80A) Waterproof for a clod / wild dagger etc though. 

Super Stock motors perform a lot better than many lower turn other brand brushed motors especially in off road applications. 

Super Stock brushed motors are the practical limit on the 101/106/02 escs. Tamiya don't do a hotter brushed motor until the modified series anyway. 

The TBLE-02 won't run as happily on out of spec lower turn/higher kv brushless motors.

Yes, that would be the Plan.

I run the Hobbywing ESC with 2 Superstocks in my Dagger.

In the Clod i run the 106bk ESC with 2 GT tuned 25 Turn Motors and a 7 Cell NiMh. 

The Super Stockers are a lot faster and more fun,  but i like that Tamiya ESC more than the Hobbywing.

3 hours ago, whahooo said:

Did anyone tried a HPI Firebolt motor with an Tamiya ESC?

Don't think that will work, at least not with the TBLEs. I tried a RZ (23t) with a 04s and it thermalled after about 15m. 

It really depends on the gearing and how hard you push the motor and ESC to carry current.  

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 3:16 AM, Willy iine said:

It really depends on the gearing and how hard you push the motor and ESC to carry current.  

I ran in a RZ on a 04, so no load + extremely low speed, still thermalled the ESC after 15 minutes. Think the 15T Thunderbolt will melt it. 

I don't think it's really possible to give an exact limit because really, it's a current limit and the gearing and the load put on the motor with terrain and incline etc influence current draw greatly. 

I used to run a 15T 550 in my heavy dump truck on an 02s. I doubt the ESC would have coped so well had it been a DT-03.

tble-02s Runs a 10.5T with the hop up fan in a DT-03 and a WT-01. Thermals without the fan though 

• Like 1