87lc2

SMT10 - Grave Digger #20 Tribute

This is a replica truck loosely based on a truck that left a real impression on me when I saw it in person back in 2005-2006.  For brief period they ran Grave Digger #20 on a black tube chassis and while I always liked the traditional green chassis, something about the black one just stuck with me, looked so much more sinister with that Digger panel van body sitting on top.  

I had really been itching to build a new truck recently and with the weather still bein  a bit too cold for painting wanted something I didnt need to paint.  Had another SMT10 builder's kit lying around along with a few new Axial Grave Digger bodies and this idea just popped into my head one night.  It's basically a stock SMT10, just a few modifications to get it looking right.  Its powered by a 550 sized (3665) 3800kv 5mm shaft brushless system running 54/17 gearing (went with the biggest pinion I could fit as I only plan on 2S for this truck).  Steering servo is a DS3218 PRO 20kg with an aluminum horn and stock plastic steering links.  4-Link setup is an RH Designs kit with an extra 1/4" of spacing on the front links so the shocks clear the chassis when mounted in the highest position.  Sway bars are also RH Designs but with square stock spring steel for the bars and custom 3D printed mounts bringing them all the way out on the chassis, very nice setup.  Springs are Axial Red Super Soft all the way around.  Also made up some custom sponsor plates in black to match how they did them back then.  The truck has a ton of power on 2S and handles beautifully with the shocks mounted high on the chassis and the soft sway bars mounted at the ends of the chassis.  I find the RH Designs bars too stiff so these are a great comprimise.  This truck doesn't really fit into any class so it will just be a backyard runner and soemthing to look at.  Last images are with my tribute to Digger #12, this truck will be getting a re-body soon.  That was my first Axial based monster built quite a few years back.

1.JPG

2.JPG

• Like 2

Nice truck,I also have a SMT10 with a few upgrades. Can not tell by your profile BUT looking at you tools etc I would say you are in the US? I envy the amount of upgrades available from independent vendors in the US. I am in the UK and the amount is zero UNLESS I import,to much hassle and cost prohibitive in most cases.

Keep up the good work

6 minutes ago, Gazzalene said:

Nice truck,I also have a SMT10 with a few upgrades. Can not tell by your profile BUT looking at you tools etc I would say you are in the US? I envy the amount of upgrades available from independent vendors in the US. I am in the UK and the amount is zero UNLESS I import,to much hassle and cost prohibitive in most cases.

Keep up the good work

Yea, located in the US.  It's definitely nice to have so many different vendors and parts available.  I've heard the struggle that some of you guys across the pond have getting this stuff and it's too bad.  You can always import like you said, but that can get expensive and/or take forever.

Oh man - That looks sooooo good with the black chassis!

How do you fancy boxing it up and sending it over the pond to me?.....!!!!!

2 hours ago, paullyjay said:

Oh man - That looks sooooo good with the black chassis!

How do you fancy boxing it up and sending it over the pond to me?.....!!!!!

Thank you!  When I get sick of looking at it I'll send it over...warning, might take a while :)  

That looks really great!  I know so little about the different versions of these trucks, let alone monster trucks in general really, but I agree that the black chassis is sharp.  For me, maybe because it's less distracting from the cool imagery on the body.  Also, I'm sure I'm not catching all the little things you do to make these look so good, but I'm sure there are many.  I like the paint details on the wheels, and links and sway bar arms painted black.

Now that I want to add sway bars to my stockish Ice Monster Clod, I'm really curious about the rod and arm style.  I'm tempted to see if I can make something like that work, although I'm pretty sure the rod on anything I buy will be too short to pass through the width of a stock Clod chassis.  I hope I'm wrong, but if I'm right, do you happen to know if it's possible to buy square rod?  So far I haven't found anything small enough.  I suppose I could use round piano wire and just hope that I grind the flat spots for the set screws at the same angle.

Thanks for the kind words.  I agree, the black chassis blends in more and let's the body stand out, good way to put it.  Ran the truck hard for about 30 minutes straight yesterday and all was well except for the rear end, either stripped the ring gear or pinion gear (haven't torn it down yet).  Did have a locker in the rear, but I do that to most of my SMT10s and this was the first that only got a pack through it before blowing up the rear.  That's the one thing I dislike about these SMTs, the weak AR60 axles.  Running 540 sized motors saves the drivetrain but they get too hot, 550 motors stay nice and cool but the torque tears up the drivetrain...can't win I guess.

As for swaybars on the Clod, I've never felt the need with a stock suspension/chassis setup but it certainly wouldn't hurt.  I use CPE square stock and love it - https://teamcpe.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2550&search=sway+bar    It's nice and long so just cut to length.  Would be cool to see this type of setup on a Clod, good luck with it.  Interested to see if it makes a difference.  

On 3/19/2021 at 11:01 PM, 87lc2 said:

Thank you!  When I get sick of looking at it I'll send it over...warning, might take a while :)  

I'm sure you'll enjoy it for a good long time! that is one good looking truck!

Makes me want to do a digger replica of my own... Perhaps something on a slightly smaller scale...

16 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Thanks for the kind words.  I agree, the black chassis blends in more and let's the body stand out, good way to put it.  Ran the truck hard for about 30 minutes straight yesterday and all was well except for the rear end, either stripped the ring gear or pinion gear (haven't torn it down yet).  Did have a locker in the rear, but I do that to most of my SMT10s and this was the first that only got a pack through it before blowing up the rear.  That's the one thing I dislike about these SMTs, the weak AR60 axles.  Running 540 sized motors saves the drivetrain but they get too hot, 550 motors stay nice and cool but the torque tears up the drivetrain...can't win I guess.

As for swaybars on the Clod, I've never felt the need with a stock suspension/chassis setup but it certainly wouldn't hurt.  I use CPE square stock and love it - https://teamcpe.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2550&search=sway+bar    It's nice and long so just cut to length.  Would be cool to see this type of setup on a Clod, good luck with it.  Interested to see if it makes a difference.  

Bummer.  Sorry to hear about the premature breakage.  

Thanks for the info on the square stock from CPE.  I was actually already eyeing their machined sway bar arms, which appears to come with a section of that square rod, so I've got those on the way now.  It could be a waste of time, but I'm excited to try to make it work.

The CPE arms are nice, I've used them on a few trucks.  They're better with the square stock, but still not perfect and will come loose from time to time.  Have been thinking about just drilling straight through and using a driveshaft pin, but haven't tried it yet. 

Looks great on the black chassis. Definitely has that sinister look. Thanks for sharing.