tam-trucks

Tamiya Grand Hauler Purple Velvet

hi all

just bought grand hauler with mfu-01 sound unit....look to upgrade the motor from standard silver can...what is good motor? any info on what to buy?

thanks for now

nic

• Like 1

i have that motor in both of my trucks 

their are a lot out their it depends what you want to pull and how you want to drive it 

dont and anyone will tell you dont put anything faster than the stock motor in it... that thing is fast enough for a truck remember it is 3 speed and you dont want to roll or tip a truck a ruin the shell and paint as it cost a load to replace and repaint

The stock motor is a 27 turn. You can use anything with a higher turn. So 27 - 80 turn are ok. Lower turn motor will give the MFC a problem. I have always used the stock motor myself and feather your throttle. A 55 turn seems to be popular with semi's. Higher turn will give you more torque (stronger) and the smaller turns will give you more speed (faster).

Higher the turn motor = slower and stronger. Also battery will last longer with higher turn motors. (longer run time) Don't go for speed with the semi's (it's not right)

Hope that helps.

thanks for the help.just bought a motor for it...never had a mfu unit til now,that why i asked about the motor specs

heres few pictures of my truck,bought last week (ebay special) got it delivered at weekend

100_1273.JPG

100_1277.JPG

100_1278.JPG

• Like 3

Nice, is that purple or blue? You'll like the MFU. If set right, it works really well. Do you like the motor the way it is? Did it come complete w/transmitter or did you use your own? The reason I ask is if any thing changed, I would reset the MFU.

• Like 1

hi........colour is ford purple velvet metalic...it came with driver gezzer,ball bearings thru out,both truck and mfu-01 manuals,extra parts and stickers.no handset or receiever with it but bought a 14ch carson handset and reciever brand new,yes i do like the mfu-01 is suit it very well and is set up correctly...very surprized when it came cos seller had not put extras on listing :lol: bought 80t carson poison truck motor which suits it very well,pulls slowly and torquey...middle off building low loader trailer for it.not factory but home brew

• Sad 1

Thanks for the details on your truck. Sorry about the asking about color which is in the title.  DAA!  It looks good in that color. The semi's are fun, building them, the add-on's, and creativity. Glad yours is working out.

Does the 80 turn seem slow? Like stuck in 2nd gear? 

• Sad 1

only just changed the title....................its ok to drive indoors and less likely to smash it and not yet tested it with trailer,its lot better then the standard silver can....to busy mending volvo`s and scooby impreza at the moment...but soon be on the trucks

On 3/25/2021 at 5:08 PM, Tamiya Fan 1 said:

Nice, is that purple or blue? You'll like the MFU. If set right, it works really well. Do you like the motor the way it is? Did it come complete w/transmitter or did you use your own? The reason I ask is if any thing changed, I would reset the MFU.

Nothing wrong with the MFC.... And not familiar with the MFU........ For Electronics designed in the late 90's. 

But several of us have been experimenting with the Newer Beier Systems - both Sound and Lights alone and total System including Motor, and the Sound and Light unit only, usually with a Hobbywing WP1080 ESC. 

https://www.beier-electronic.de/modellbau/produkte/usm-rc-2/usm-rc-2.php?sprache=gb 

Unbelievably Modern and GOOD! Including such cool things like simulated SHIFTING. You can add the Sound of Engine Rev Up-Shift-Rev from Lower Speed - REPEAT!! Wherever in the Throttle Range you want, up to 8 Shifts.  You could even add Gear Clashing!! All sounds are 44KHz CD quality.

That's really just the Tip of the Iceberg. This does everything that the MFC does - only BETTER. It has more Features and is fully Programmable. Even add a separate MUSIC Track with its included Midi Track!! ANY Music or Sound File you want. 

On more thing... FULL Lipo Compatibility!! The Sound and Light unit can even run with a Brushless Motor, if you're so inclined.

Oh..... And did I mention CHEAPER!! 😁  Like all Technology (not made by Tamiya), gets smaller and cheaper as it progresses. Also not mentioning the GT Power Unit, similar to the MFC-01 - cheaper, but CRAP!!

Power, Sound and Light - unit only $245 USD!!! 

https://hobbyconcepts.net/products/beier-sfr-1-sound-light-speed-control

Sound and Light unit - only $169 USD!! 😁👍👍

https://hobbyconcepts.net/products/beier-sound-module-usm-rc-2

I DON'T WORK FOR THIS COMPANY OR THIS STORE! I get nothing out of this but the pleasure of sharing information.

On 3/28/2021 at 11:03 PM, Tamiya Fan 1 said:

Thanks for the details on your truck. Sorry about the asking about color which is in the title.  DAA!  It looks good in that color. The semi's are fun, building them, the add-on's, and creativity. Glad yours is working out.

Does the 80 turn seem slow? Like stuck in 2nd gear? 

PLEASE look at the Post in my Grand Hauler Thread in this Section! 

Sadly, thousands in the RC Community have been misinformed over the course of 25 years about Turns and Torque.... 

High Turn = Lower Speed, Lower Amp Draw - ONLY!! 

Very simply, if you have one of each, try a 20T and an 80T Motor in the same Buggy..... 

Note that with the 80T, the top speed WILL be lower, but takeoff will be weaker - because you've LOST low-end Torque. 😖 

Note with the 20T, top speed WILL of course be faster , but off the Line it will want to rip the Rubber off of the Tyres BECAUSE OF HIGH TORQUE!! 

Higher Turn Motors also have shorter comparative lifespans when under higher load. 

The KEY is LOWER Turn, higher spinning Motors.... And more GEAR REDUCTION!! 3:1 and 4:1 Gear Reduction Units are available all over the world, and the biggest challenge to installing them, is figuring out how much shorter the Driveshaft should be. 

On 3/23/2021 at 3:40 AM, tam-trucks said:

thanks for the help.just bought a motor for it...never had a mfu unit til now,that why i asked about the motor specs

heres few pictures of my truck,bought last week (ebay special) got it delivered at weekend

100_1273.JPG

100_1277.JPG

100_1278.JPG

All that said.... NICE RIG!! Can't wait to get mine Built. 

That Color is awesome. Hope you got a good deal, because it's certainly a sweet looking Hauler!!

enjoying driving truck with trailer..must take more pictures....recently bought a light kit for other truck im building but light kit came with with no manual and cant find one on net,,,it the early tamiya light kit thinks it 56501....can any one help?

thanks nic tt

• Like 1

is good truck...wish i could help you,,,but i am doing all of my LEDs custom...  I truly hope that someone understands your problem, and can help! 😉

that kit is the tlu-01 kit witch is meant for either cars or as i have used one in my bruiser it will work out expensive by the time you need to add all the led's to everything (plus you will need the tlu-02 controll unit to make the lights follow the transmitter) you'll be better with the mfu or one of the gt truck light kits

• Like 1

new truck to fleet...bought of ebay.arrived today,,,merc 1838 stobart colours,fully working with retro 27mhz handset and reciever,AT-5 esc...grubby in places but wash most off,,some metel have got rust ideal for clean up and paint makeover.working tamiya light kit.....this truck stuff gets bigger and bigger,,,must stop buying and start finishing

1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tam-trucks said:

..... This truck stuff gets bigger and bigger,,,must stop buying and start finishing

1.jpg

I know what mean. Getting my Grand Hauler finished - eventually...

But I ALSO bought a Globe Liner and a Merc 1850l!!! 😳😳😳   It's a disease, and finally having money again, I'm going NUTZ!

• Like 1

if thats the eddie stobart livery i looked at that last week on e-bay and it was cheap at the time i hope you got it for a good deal in the end 

plus did you get the trailer to suit that was for sale also

thats the one...for what i paid i got a great great deal....didnt see the trailer but had no more money to buy with!!    i have cleaned the plastic parts,paint in great condition.cleaned and paint few metel parts....all it needs now to complete it is fully set of ball bearings still running tamiya standard bearings

• Like 1

well,done some more to merc 1838...tidy up light kit,3d printed circuit board to roof,some electric tidying,re-soldering,here few pics

100_1457.JPG

100_1458.JPG

100_1459.JPG

100_1460.JPG

100_1461.JPG

100_1462.JPG

• Like 3

bruder low-loader,extended 100mm,3d printed mod pieces,centre section made of two pieces which has 5mm steel rod bar insert for strength(hense zig-zag layout)..tows nice and straight...looks good with stobart merc

heres a few of trailer build

just need to pay with ideas for axle setup

100_1573.JPG

100_1567.JPG

100_1569.JPG

100_1571.JPG