thegorf

Blitzer Beetle 2011 - core model range now?

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were re the Blitzer Beetle 2011, and whether its now just a normal model in the range like Hornet, LB, GH etc, or if it is really part of a (not very) limited batch, and will at some point be discontinued?  I mean, its 10 years now since it was rere'd and they're still readily available, but I know that could change at any point, just seems like if they were only doing a limited run, then it would have had the chop already?  Thoughts?

I ask, as I'd like one, but have loads of other projects that ideally I'd like to complete first, but don't want to miss the boat either.  If I had loads of space I'd just buy it and chuck it in the loft (if we had one), but that isn't a luxury we have right now.

Just my opinion, but I don't think it will be available "forever".  The Wild One was everywhere it seemed, and luckily I picked one up when there were boxes among boxes of them on the shelves.  The next month it was announced that the Wild One would be discontinued and now everyone is seeking them.  If you can afford it and stash the kit somewhere, pick one up.  

I don’t have a Blitzer Beetle, but I’ve had the Stadium Blitzer (same chassis) for some time now and has seen a lot of use.

Nothings ever broken on it, but is a Lexan body as opposed to a hard shell, even though it started off with the Silver Can, then Sport Tuned, with a TBLE 02 ESC. Then a Hobbywing 10 60 Brushless ESC to a 13.5 LRP motor on 2s, then swapped the LRP to a HW motor, and now has a 3450kv Sensorless combo about to be put in it.

The stock rear tyres are rubbish, I’ve got Proline 2.2 Trenchers on one set of wheels & Sand Paws on another for the beach. Schumacher Vee’s are a popular choice too.  The thing just keeps going.

I’ve had a lot of fun with it and owes me nothing now. There are Lexan Beetle shells available to fit them for running if you want to keep the hard shell nice 👍🏻 

• Like 2

I believe the rule is that it will be widely available right up until the day you decide to buy one.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

I would get one now whilst there is some stock, it’s a great runner but it is ancient and no doubt coming out of LD Tamiya will revamp their model range and discontinue some of the older low volume sellers. 

It’s not especially cheap and a lot of the components are only used in a very small number of models, Flacon, Stadium Raider and Stadium Thunder from memory. 

And second hand they aren’t cheap anymore either 😭

Yeah, its a difficult one, I recall too when Wild One's were everywhere then next time I had a look, all gone!  It really is just a space issue for me, it's not like storing a couple of 1:72 Airfix plane kits.  I also have far too many projects/restos on the go (inc. a very tired Stadium Blitzer), each one with its own storage box, however, I think I just need to have another clear out and make space - I'd kick myself if there were none available when I felt the time was right to press the button!

18 minutes ago, thegorf said:

It really is just a space issue for me, it's not like storing a couple of 1:72 Airfix plane kits. 

There’s your answer, just start hanging them from the ceiling 👍🏻

• Haha 1

He who hesitates is lost. I bought a Bigwig and stashed it for the future.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrBlz said:

...but is able to move around their house without tripping over toy cars

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2021 at 4:47 AM, MrBlz said:

Heh... I did the same thing, and then built it 3 months later. I'm not good at this NIB thing, it seems.

• Haha 1

Buy it, you know you want to!!! You wont regret it. They just do what it says on the tin. No frills fun.