Grumpy pants

Did you see the Avante on Top Gear?

I've really warmed to this crew as they've gained in confidence, and last night was a real grin-fest with all those beautiful Bond cars, that Electric off-roader and that £350k Alfa restor-a-build :wub:

And then a Tamiya thrown in for good measure! 

Awesome, I caught the 1st episode of the season last night, looking forward to seeing this one next Sunday.  I'm always a week behind as I usually grab an hour of TV at 7pm on a Sunday then go off to do other stuff.

Last year I caught some show about excavating some ancient burial sites and one of the archaeologists sent an RC down a long, narrow tunnel to see how deep it went.  But for some inexplicable reason they chose an SRB chassis.  I'm not sure what hobby shop they went into for that advice.  It got stuck after about 3 feet.

If I can remember the show and find a clip, I'll share it.

lol - they couldn't have chosen anything worse! 

Actually - a lunch box maybe... :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Awesome, I caught the 1st episode of the season last night, looking forward to seeing this one next Sunday.  I'm always a week behind as I usually grab an hour of TV at 7pm on a Sunday then go off to do other stuff.

Last year I caught some show about excavating some ancient burial sites and one of the archaeologists sent an RC down a long, narrow tunnel to see how deep it went.  But for some inexplicable reason they chose an SRB chassis.  I'm not sure what hobby shop they went into for that advice.  It got stuck after about 3 feet.

If I can remember the show and find a clip, I'll share it.

That screams of "we need to do this but have no budget. Has anyone got anything lying around in the garage that might do?"

29 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

That screams of "we need to do this but have no budget. Has anyone got anything lying around in the garage that might do?"

It looked brand new and unused.  Maybe the flat chassis had seemed a good platform for mounting the camera on, and perhaps the buyer was swayed by the metal construction thinking it would be more robust than a plastic car.  Maybe the shop (assuming he went to a shop and didn't just order online based on pictures and Tamiya's marketing blurb) said it had no diff, which would give more traction.  But for the same budget you could get something 4wd and independently sprung and with a wide chassis perfect for mounting camera equipment on, and it wouldn't have a Tamiya logo on it...

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

It looked brand new and unused.  Maybe the flat chassis had seemed a good platform for mounting the camera on, and perhaps the buyer was swayed by the metal construction thinking it would be more robust than a plastic car.  Maybe the shop (assuming he went to a shop and didn't just order online based on pictures and Tamiya's marketing blurb) said it had no diff, which would give more traction.  But for the same budget you could get something 4wd and independently sprung and with a wide chassis perfect for mounting camera equipment on, and it wouldn't have a Tamiya logo on it...

Funnily enough, I saw a request for help for something similar on another forum. For going into caves. Maybe they thought "I'll get that SRB I've always wanted and once we've finished with it...."

• Like 1