Sign in to follow this  
Willsls1

Whos ready for some RC nostalgia? ( pic heavy)

Love old RC media like this, thanks for posting 👍🏻

Funny to think that despite inflation some of these are almost exactly the same price.

Try getting a meal, beer or coke for 91 prices now!

• Like 1

I wish there was PDF files of the 80s and 90s RC Car Action magazines.

Nice thread. Keep them coming. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

Funny to think that despite inflation some of these are almost exactly the same price.

Try getting a meal, beer or coke for 91 prices now!

I hear economists talk about the “Big Mac Index “ when compare other consumer  goods to the relative price of a fast food hamburger a lot when they adjust price of a certain item to modern prices.

My favorite similar thing to look at is the price of HotWheels die cast cars. 
When they were introduced in 1968 they retailed for like $.59 USD in 1968 dollars. 
When I was a kid in the early 80’s I remember when I’d save up “about $1” in my penny jar I had enough for a HotWheels. I just scoured some Reddit threads and found a pic of a 1982 HW with. Walmart tag of $.93 so this is Close.  I didn’t have Walmart in my part of the country in 80’s, but I’m sure K Mart, Kresge’s, and ShopKo were all priced similar ( good luck finding any of those 3 stores now though ) Currently, a Hot wheels or Matchbox “basic” or “main line “casting is $.94 at Walmart ( more for premium and special cars ). 

I’m rambling a bit, but I sure wouldn’t mind if I could get a NEW Turbo Optima Mid SE for $239.99 now . Kyosho, are you listening? Lol 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

I hear economists talk about the “Big Mac Index “ when compare other consumer  goods to the relative price of a fast food hamburger a lot when they adjust price of a certain item to modern prices.

My favorite similar thing to look at is the price of HotWheels die cast cars. 
When they were introduced in 1968 they retailed for like $.59 USD in 1968 dollars. 
When I was a kid in the early 80’s I remember when I’d save up “about $1” in my penny jar I had enough for a HotWheels. I just scoured some Reddit threads and found a pic of a 1982 HW with. Walmart tag of $.93 so this is Close.  I didn’t have Walmart in my part of the country in 80’s, but I’m sure K Mart, Kresge’s, and ShopKo were all priced similar ( good luck finding any of those 3 stores now though ) Currently, a Hot wheels or Matchbox “basic” or “main line “casting is $.94 at Walmart ( more for premium and special cars ). 

I’m rambling a bit, but I sure wouldn’t mind if I could get a NEW Turbo Optima Mid SE for $239.99 now . Kyosho, are you listening? Lol 

I moved to Omaha right in time for ShopKo going out of business. I grew up with TG&Y, who went out of business before 1988.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chuckjaywalk said:

I moved to Omaha right in time for ShopKo going out of business. I grew up with TG&Y, who went out of business before “

Just last night my mom ( who still lives in Green Bay, HQ of ShopKo ) was telling me ShopKo Optical is still a thing.  
apparently they kept the brand alive after they liquidated out all their regular stores 

2 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

Just last night my mom ( who still lives in Green Bay, HQ of ShopKo ) was telling me ShopKo Optical is still a thing.  
apparently they kept the brand alive after they liquidated out all their regular stores 

Yeah, there's one here, too. It is a bit jarring to see, since the old ShopKos and Fresh Thymes are all freshly shuttered. Sort of like the feeling I get seeing RadioShack branded items at HobbyTown.

3 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

http://gomachv.wix.com/gomachv

GoMachV on RC10Talk has the Car Action mags uploaded on his personal site under the RCCA tab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nice read all those old magazines. Reviews of then new Tamiya (and other brands) RC cars. 

7 hours ago, Saito2 said:

GoMachV on RC10Talk has the Car Action mags uploaded on his personal site under the RCCA tab.

WARNING: Local gravity increases when you click this link, and you may find yourself sucked into a black hole (in a good way)

Also, thanks to this thread for giving me alternate Grasshopper/Hornet body ideas! (Panda Cyclone, Rockbuster, etc.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Nice thread. Keep them coming. :)

I have about 2 years worth of RC car action mags and Tower Hobbies mailers stored at my dad's house. Someday I'll move them to my house for permanent storage. 

• Like 1

Wow those take me right back! Thanks for sharing. Wish I still had some of my old Radio Race Car mags but they're long gone (bit like my Optima Mid Custom :( ) 

I'm scared to click that link as I fear I may lose a few hours of my life and I'm supposed to be working :P 

17 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Thanks! I saw them and I downloaded the ones I had back in the day.

• Like 1