wintersdawn

Free Mobile App to Check R/C Speed?

I have seen gps devices that do this but are there any free play store app's that can be installed onto a mobile and the mobile attached to the r/c and run to check its top speed?  Cheers

Yes. Just go to the Play Store and search for GPS Speedo. Loads of results. You only need to choose one. 

• Like 1

If you wanna risk your £500 phone that is ;)

i just picked up a bike gps speedo 

it’s small and compact and was only £20

id considered the apps but putting even a second hand mobile into an RC car is far from ideal 

JJ

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Problemchild said:

If you wanna risk your £500 phone that is ;)

i just picked up a bike gps speedo 

it’s small and compact and was only £20

id considered the apps but putting even a second hand mobile into an RC car is far from ideal 

JJ

Thought it was a bright idea to put my $1000 phone into my car for speed test until it broke loose and skidded across the street. Luckily it didn't damage it too bad but learned my lesson real quick. Mini GPS from now on lol. 

• Like 2

1, find a path with known distance, e.g. a runway in a sport ground

2, place your rc car at the start point

3, a friend standing at the end point holding a cellphone staring at the clock

4, run your rc car toward the end point when your friend wave his hand

5, your friend tell you the time taken for the rc car to cross the finishing line

this method is free. you only need a friend

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pourMoneyIntoSea said:

1, find a path with known distance, e.g. a runway in a sport ground

2, place your rc car at the start point

3, a friend standing at the end point holding a cellphone staring at the clock

4, run your rc car toward the end point when your friend wave his hand

5, your friend tell you the time taken for the rc car to cross the finishing line

this method is free. you only need a friend

This will only give you average speed, not the highest speed acheived. You would need to know the rate of acceleration to work out the highest speed.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, I think I will save my phone from injury and go for the gps option, JJ can you point me in the right direction to get that gps bike speedo for £20, cheers.

3 hours ago, wintersdawn said:

Thanks for the advice, I think I will save my phone from injury and go for the gps option, JJ can you point me in the right direction to get that gps bike speedo for £20, cheers.

Just go on eBay and see what your can find 

I picked up a 2nd hand rechargeable cateye stealth 50 gps

JJ

• Like 1

Also considering a Garmin forerunner GPS watch as could probably use the strap to secure it inside to the battery compartment lid. Also use it for walks etc

I use an old phone, doesn't have a sim card in it, still works for GPS speed runs and smart phones are so cheap now, you can get one for £30.

And it fits inside the window so no damages and I can reset the speed without removing the phone.

5Reg38G.jpg

Not always accurate as you can tell from this picture, but it's usually pretty reliable..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

I use an old phone, doesn't have a sim card in it, still works for GPS speed runs and smart phones are so cheap now, you can get one for £30.

And it fits inside the window so no damages and I can reset the speed without removing the phone.

Not always accurate as you can tell from this picture, but it's usually pretty reliable..

Good idea, cheers.  I have gone for a Garmin Forerunner 305 for about £16 delivered.  I'm sure the battery will be fine for r/c speed tests but hopefully will last longer so I can use it for walks.

Cheers for all the input and advice.

7 hours ago, wintersdawn said:

Good idea, cheers.  I have gone for a Garmin Forerunner 305 for about £16 delivered.  I'm sure the battery will be fine for r/c speed tests but hopefully will last longer so I can use it for walks.

Cheers for all the input and advice.

Post your review when it comes, I need to put my Quick drive Thunder dragon on a serious diet if I'm ever going to get it past 40mph again..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Post your review when it comes, I need to put my Quick drive Thunder dragon on a serious diet if I'm ever going to get it past 40mph again..

Will do.  Wow, that sounds fast for a quick drive?  

8 hours ago, wintersdawn said:

Will do.  Wow, that sounds fast for a quick drive?  

It certainly deserves the title now.

But I have had it much faster than this, just never been able to film it..

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 11:18 PM, wolfdogstinkus said:

Had the Garmin Forerunner 305 come the other day and speed tested two r/c vehicles with it and all went well.  The strap of the watch was ideal for attaching the watch around the body posts on one vehicle and around the inside of the bumper on the other.  These watches are from 2006 and very chunky so not very comfortable to wear but ideal for r/c speed testing.  There are loads on ebay and they are cheap, mine was around £16 delivered.

The screen is big so you can display four data fields at a time and choose the ones you want, including distance, speed, max speed etc.

Due to its age the battery doesn't last too long but plenty long enough for speed tests and walks.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/9/2021 at 9:46 PM, wintersdawn said:

Had the Garmin Forerunner 305 come the other day and speed tested two r/c vehicles with it and all went well.  The strap of the watch was ideal for attaching the watch around the body posts on one vehicle and around the inside of the bumper on the other.  These watches are from 2006 and very chunky so not very comfortable to wear but ideal for r/c speed testing.  There are loads on ebay and they are cheap, mine was around £15 delivered.

The screen is big so you can display four data fields at a time and choose the ones you want, including distance, speed, max speed etc.

Due to its age the battery doesn't last too long but plenty long enough for speed tests and walks.

s-l1600.jpg

Great info 

JJ