markb_s1

recommendations for cheeky very budget build to occupy idle hands...

Hi all.

feel like building a new car to alleviate the boredom... 

thinking either mad bull or fighter buggy rx.

grasshopper or hornet have also always appealed for some reason.

what are your thoughts?

I know neither are the most competent cars, but i've never had one with the massive monster truck style tyres, hence the mad bull, and the fighter buggy rx only came to my attention from the recent rc kicks video on youtube.

don't want to spend fortunes as i have plans to get a few others in the medium term... just want something to occupy my time.

Do you have a Lunchbox? If not, there's your answer. Everyone should have a Lunchbox at some point.

i don't, no.

Have to admit, I've been tempted by those for a while now, but I have always fancied a Hornet ever since I had a Frog in the 80s so that's kind of winning at the moment

@markb_s1

What do you class as budget?

I’d buying from Modelsport for eg, postage is free over £100 so if you go for £80 you have to factor in the extra.

plus make sure it’s got an ESC as you may find a cheap lunchbox but with no ESC then that’s another £25 to add 

I’d suggest a  DT-03  for £110 being ideal 

It’s got a torque tuned and oil dampers

Ita a great build and a fun body to paint 

JJ

less than 150 is budget in my case. already got a neo fighter and a dark impact. 

both have proven a bit too fragile for my driving.. (cracked front end on dt03 and broken rear diff on df03, both of which will be addressed in due course).

just want something fun to build. 

29 minutes ago, markb_s1 said:

OK.. so if lunchbox, what immediate upgrades do i need to get? metal bearings? cva shocks?

Bearings are about it, really. Other than that, run it stock for a while and see what you think. Opinions vary on other mods, but much like the Clod, I think the Lunchie should be experienced in stock form first, so you appreciate what the mods do for you...

How about a Rising Fighter? Very basic in stock form, rugged, and rather fun to mod using whatever bits come to hand. (Or with fancy 3D-printed bits of that is your thing.)

• Like 2

Konghead from fusionhobbies with discounts is around your budget.........

Hornet's are pretty common. Fusion hobbies are selling the super storm dragon for a near identical price. (It's basically a hornet with ltd edition shell).  Mad bull is tough as old boots and more capable off road than the rising fighter. It also handles a lot better than the lunch box chassis models.

22 hours ago, MadInventor said:

Hornet's are pretty common. Fusion hobbies are selling the super storm dragon for a near identical price. (It's basically a hornet with ltd edition shell).  Mad bull is tough as old boots and more capable off road than the rising fighter. It also handles a lot better than the lunch box chassis models.

I took a look at the super storm dragon. Not sure why, but it really doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

42 minutes ago, Super ally said:

No contest get the hornet,its tough,looks great and great fun to run.

I second that 100%. The Hornet is amazing in every possible way, the...ehm... challenging handling being all part of the fun :rolleyes:

When I'm out with my other cars, I'm enjoying RC. But when I'm out with the Hornet, it feels more like I'm waliking my puppy dog! Its personality is still unmatched in my own experience.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 8:00 PM, markb_s1 said:

Hi all.

feel like building a new car to alleviate the boredom... 

thinking either mad bull or fighter buggy rx.

grasshopper or hornet have also always appealed for some reason.

what are your thoughts?

I know neither are the most competent cars, but i've never had one with the massive monster truck style tyres, hence the mad bull, and the fighter buggy rx only came to my attention from the recent rc kicks video on youtube.

don't want to spend fortunes as i have plans to get a few others in the medium term... just want something to occupy my time.

Fighter buggy rx was my intro to tamiya way back when. My wallet now wishes I`d walked on by!!!

Would love another mad bull but struggled to find stock lately

11 hours ago, Wetman said:

Fighter buggy rx was my intro to tamiya way back when. My wallet now wishes I`d walked on by!!!

Would love another mad bull but struggled to find stock lately

Aren't they basically the same thing, though?

OK... so I ordered the Lunchbox in the end. tried ordering a bearing set from RCjaz and they want ridiculous money for postage. 

Anyone got any other recommendations? 

Also, is the Lunchbox bearing set the same as the Grasshopper/Hornet one?

Thanks.

51 minutes ago, markb_s1 said:

OK... so I ordered the Lunchbox in the end. tried ordering a bearing set from RCjaz and they want ridiculous money for postage. 

Thanks.

If you’re in the US, I got the Fast Eddy’s set for mine through A-Main, it was cheap and arrived fairly quick.  I’ve put them in my Clod, GF-01, Stampede, and Bandit now as well too and when I redo my Axial axles and transmission, I plan on getting a set for that too.

I don't know how involved you are with painting plastic models, but if you are I recommend the WildWilly2 or any kit that comes with a hard shell. If you are not into painting I'd recommend Tamiya's pre-painted kits as those usually come pre-cut too.  

Painting the polycarb body is easy, but cutting and decaling can be challenging for beginners especially something like the Hornet if one wants to do it perfectly.  But that's part of the fun.  Good luck with whatever you choose, OP.  

Here's a funny Hornet I made a few months ago.  I also have the funny GrassHopper and Frog made per the box art.

IMG_Apr12021at90022AM.jpg.ee58ee40978d22a98812b6ddc68d9b77.jpg

thanks for the replies folks. 

Not in the US, so would prefer UK only.

@Willy iine I'm not a beginner.. i just can't drive the things! i was educated on the Brat/Frog/Lancia 037/Boomerang, so am used to big bumpers!

anyway.. bought the lunchbox black edition.. just want to get the bearings for it.

well that went well.. took my virtually no time on the first shakedown to tear the screw holding the servo saver on out of the servo!

A lunchbox is a wise choice. Couple of upgrades I’d recommend. Aluminum body mounts because the stock plastic ones will break. Make a brace to go across the front shock towers.  You’re going to love it

On 4/1/2021 at 2:21 AM, markb_s1 said:

Thanks.

Yes, same as Hornet/Grasshopper bearings. Nine 1150 (11mm x 5mm) and one 850 (8mm x 5mm).

On 3/25/2021 at 8:40 AM, markb_s1 said:

Aren't they basically the same thing, though?

Sorry matey been busy the last couple of weeks. Yeah pretty much

On 4/6/2021 at 5:32 PM, Busdriver said:

If your in the UK the go to bearings supplier is https://www.rcbearings.co.uk

@markb_s1 RCbearings all day every day 

as for your servo horn - I always try and use a bolt rather than a self tapper and make sure it’s long enough as it should be ripped out that easy 

JJ

• Like 1