Dakratfink

“Toyetic” build ideas

I didn’t know wether to put this here, or in the builds section. Here seemed more appropriate since this isn’t an actual build thread but simply a place to discuss more ideas for “ tribute “ builds.  I know threads have discussed scale builds based on real life live action movie cars. 
My idea is builds based on toys, comics , cartoons and other intellectual properties that were also popular during the “Golden Age “ of RC in the 80’s and 90’s. 
Two things got me thinking about this

1. In another thread someone was looking for “alternative” paint schemes for an XR311. I suggested paint it Matte black or Navy Blue with some red Cobra logos and make a Cobra Stinger vehicle from GI Joe/Action Force. 

2. YouTuber Hemistorm just did a paint job on a Proline ‘85 Camaro no prep drag car that was a tribute to the “Thunder Hawk “ car from the Cartoon and Kenner toy line M.A.S.K. 

I have seen Optimus Prime Dynaheads, KongHeads and Bullheads and Scooby Doo Mystery Machine inspired Lunch boxes

What other “Toyetic” RC builds have you seen done, done yourself , or want to see.

Let’s hear em . 

• Like 1

I think a Chick Hicks car would be fun. He's based off a '87 Grand National and there's a few companies who make that body (JConcepts for one). The decals will keep you busy for a while :D

41kWwkZUy9L.jpg

• Like 2

A Toy Story Turbo RC would be awesome, but ist neither 90s or 80s....

I’ve seen a Stranger Things Chevy Blazer on Scalebuildersguild but the photos have gone from the thread, which is a shame.

@JennyMo of this parish did a truck for Hopper.

If you can get the HPI body, decals and wheels then I think you can do a pretty good representation of the Trans Am (have I got that right?) from Smokey & The Bandit. There are panels out there for Snowman’s trailer too.

One of my unfinished projects is a 1:10 version of my son’s Hot Wheels Chevy Silverado. I’d also like to try scaling up a Hot Wheels Unimog race truck on to a CR-01 chassis.

A few years ago there was an informal 'winter build-off' competition on here, and a number of theme ideas were mooted, including movie/TV...

I ended up building a homage to [Tow] Mater from Cars (using a M-06 chassis Lowride Pumpkin as the base - so 'Tam-Mater' as it were) - as it pretty much fulfilled every one of the suggested themes!

i-5xXMxwk-XL.jpg

i-w82NSq9-XL.jpg

The original build thread uses my now defunct photobucket photos, so unfortunately they are small and watermarked these days - but I also catalogued the various stages (and dually evolution) in my showroom too.

Jenny x

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JennyMo said:

A few years ago there was an informal 'winter build-off' competition on here, and a number of theme ideas were mooted, including movie/TV...

I ended up building a homage to [Tow] Mater from Cars (using a M-06 chassis Lowride Pumpkin as the base - so 'Tam-Mater' as it were) - as it pretty much fulfilled every one of the suggested themes!

i-5xXMxwk-XL.jpg

i-w82NSq9-XL.jpg

The original build thread uses my now defunct photobucket photos, so unfortunately they are small and watermarked these days - but I also catalogued the various stages (and dually evolution) in my showroom too.

Jenny x

I love that you used what appears to be a WW driver figure, and the lantern on ‘Mater’s hoist is a great detail. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

I love that you used what appears to be a WW driver figure, and the lantern on ‘Mater’s hoist is a great detail. 

Hee hee - thank you for noticing... and yes, 'Larry Willy' was the driver - factoring that because it would be rather difficult to modify the grille of the F100 to represent Mater's face successfully, I sculpted a Wild Willy head into an open-face helmet with cartoon buck-teeth instead:

i-Td5PDN3-XL.jpg

photo. the driver torso is the one from a Sand Scorcher, with Wild Willy gloves grafted on - for info. the Sand Scorcher driver (with the L shaped mounting tab) fits pretty well in the Pumpkin shell if you're looking for a more scale driver figure.

Jx

• Like 1

Tyco did this with the Toy Story Car. There were other Toy Story cars, but Tyco transformed an earlier version of a Mini Hopper car to look like the one from Toy Story whilst retaining the main design. It's interesting, as you can see how it would look on a larger scale car too.

It also looks surprisingly fast, and I can't help but want one now.

I would love a proper 1/10 scale Toy Story RC.

Not based on a toy, but I've done a Goonies-themed Jeep Cherokee:

IMG_20201227_135147826.thumb.jpg.66df2084969c453f08d46176350bf574.jpg

If I ever get another Toyota truck body, it'll be the "Pizza Planet" delivery truck from Toy Story.

• Like 3