Sign in to follow this  
B.RAD

Traxxas Stampede 4x4 assembly kit build

I spoke too soon!! First failure. Only a little thing but stopped play early today.

PXL_20210507_180031688_copy_1008x756.thumb.jpg.a11f080a4b6ff7497ac755c869fc2ce4.jpg

I do believe that is supposed to be connected!! Looks like the pin fell out. I don't suppose anyone knows where to find replacements (or upgrades)?? 

house hold bleach will often strip chrome from plastic in a few mins too.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, B.RAD said:

I spoke too soon!! First failure. Only a little thing but stopped play early today.

PXL_20210507_180031688_copy_1008x756.thumb.jpg.a11f080a4b6ff7497ac755c869fc2ce4.jpg

I do believe that is supposed to be connected!! Looks like the pin fell out. I don't suppose anyone knows where to find replacements (or upgrades)?? 

That looks like you only lost the grub screw that holds it to the diff output I can’t see anything else broken

should be easy to replace 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

That looks like you only lost the grub screw that holds it to the diff output I can’t see anything else broken

should be easy to replace 

Thanks - that's exactly what went missing, and I've managed to find a source of replacements which should be here imminently. Then the fun continues!

4 hours ago, B.RAD said:

Thanks - that's exactly what went missing, and I've managed to find a source of replacements which should be here imminently. Then the fun continues!

Glad you sourced the missing parts 

• Like 1

I was interested in this kit and did a bit of research. I discovered that this is the same as the brushed 4wd stampede and there is a number of differences in the drivetrain for the brushless one, all the upgrades are on the Traxxas website, hopefully you won't need them all?? But it gives you a good idea of where to start your upgrades..

18 minutes ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Here's the link to the "ultimate 4x4 stampede build"

https://m.traxxas.com/news/stampede-4x4-build

That's a brilliant link, thank you for sharing. Every upgrade I'll ever need when I start breaking stuff!

My kit came with a 9t pinion, which explains why I felt it was running out of gear. It will take up to a 17t pinion, I've opted for a 15t to see what that's like. That link recommends an 11t though, so 15t may be overkill.  I'll only ever run 2s through this.

Because of this, I've taken the Hobbywing ezrun combo out and fitted a 3800kv goolRC combo set instead. Couldn't care less if I fry that motor. Waiting for those replacement pins so I can test it out now!

Also I now see Traxxas have discontinued this kit so grab your spares while you can,,

Might be worth reading around to see what parts are worth stocking up on before they start to disappear??..

• Like 1

Good tip, thanks. I'll do some research later tonight 👍

11 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Also I now see Traxxas have discontinued this kit so grab your spares while you can,,

Might be worth reading around to see what parts are worth stocking up on before they start to disappear??..

They may have discontinued the kit, but they still make the RTR stampede, the rustler and slash 4WD . All the some platform . There is no difficulty getting Traxxas Spares at least not in North America 

6 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

They may have discontinued the kit, but they still make the RTR stampede, the rustler and slash 4WD . All the some platform . There is no difficulty getting Traxxas Spares at least not in North America 

Fair enough, but I suspected that it was being fazed out in favour of the hoss.

But I know very little about Traxxas.

Love the paint job, and great photos!

Stampede 4x4 is a great truck - but I do have some suggested upgrades...

Firstly you can easily lower the body, and it costs nothing to do, too! Just trim down the bottom section of the actual posts (you'll just need shorter screws to mount them again).

Traxxas Front Body Mount Set

I had the VXL version, so it'll be interesting to see what pinion you end up with - I think I ran a 13T to keep checks in temp running a 2S LiPo.

Honestly the 2 best upgrades are better tires (terrain specific) and Proline Powerstroke shocks, but both options can get very expensive!

A cheap upgrade is a tube of Shoe-Goo and some "drywall" tape to reinforce the body, especially around the holes in the rear deck - that always splits very quickly!

@lsear2905 thanks very much! Glad you like it 🙂

Lowering the body is a great idea! I'll add that to the list. I think I might have some shorter screws kicking about somewhere too. 

I have a set of the black chrome wheels with the Talon tyres waiting to go on.  I'll do a back to back test on my next run to see what the difference is here, I'm hoping slightly reduced grip roll and more slide in the corners, but we'll see! 

These shocks feel really nice in operation, what benefits would the Proline shocks offer?

I've already started to crack the rear tub! I'll put some gaffa tape on the back now before it gets any worse 👍

• Like 1

Driveshaft pins arrived today so I got the missing one straight in, and also checked all the others. The other side at the rear had worked a little loose too, so something to keep an eye on.

Here's the latest of where the car stands now...PXL_20210513_122823118_copy_1008x756.thumb.jpg.2e0eb7e982cc9d1c86b4b53fe7157844.jpg

I had to nip a little out of the ESC mount to get the significantly larger goolRC motor to fit. But it's all in, and pretty neat too. Can't wait to try it, just need this horrendous rain to stop!

On 5/9/2021 at 7:43 AM, wolfdogstinkus said:

Here in the US, this kit is very much still in their lineup.  It is not discontinued.  In fact, recently Traxxas changed this kit to include all the electronics.  Previously it was sans electronics.  Availability in the UK may be different, but it is not discontinued here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwkenuf said:

Here in the US, this kit is very much still in their lineup.  It is not discontinued.  In fact, recently Traxxas changed this kit to include all the electronics.  Previously it was sans electronics.  Availability in the UK may be different, but it is not discontinued here.

I just checked again and it said "out of stock", perhaps I got confused when I looked before, I do apologise.

On 5/12/2021 at 5:19 PM, B.RAD said:

@lsear2905 thanks very much! Glad you like it 🙂

Lowering the body is a great idea! I'll add that to the list. I think I might have some shorter screws kicking about somewhere too. 

I have a set of the black chrome wheels with the Talon tyres waiting to go on.  I'll do a back to back test on my next run to see what the difference is here, I'm hoping slightly reduced grip roll and more slide in the corners, but we'll see! 

These shocks feel really nice in operation, what benefits would the Proline shocks offer?

I've already started to crack the rear tub! I'll put some gaffa tape on the back now before it gets any worse 👍

Proline Powerstrokes are beautifully smooth, but more importantly dual stage so they soak up little bumps but also massive jumps.

6063-01_m.jpg

The danger of getting them is that afterwards you'll want them on all your trucks!

• Like 1

Quick update - took the Stampede out for a run against a range of other cars yesterday, and it was phenomenal!! I changed the wheels and tyres to the black chrome wheels and the upgraded talon tyres and I am staggered by the difference it made. Running on wet grass, you'd think the stock tyres would be better, but they were miles apart. The new tyres came pre-glued with inserts and provided so much more grip. It really was insane how much better it went. Understeer was gone, replaced by controllable drifts and sharper turn in, with better grip on acceleration too.

I'm so happy with the set up now, the goolRC motor and ESC combo is the perfect power for the truck, especially with the 15t pinion, incredibly quick but not ridiculous and now with the new wheels and tyres fitted the whole thing drives like it always should have. Quickly becoming my favourite runner! 😁