Sign in to follow this  
Nikko85

Can a motor kill an ESC?

I recently purchased a few used (but good condition) 540 Johnson Silver Cans as some of those cheaper "320 Amp" ESC. I know they are not the best, but they worked perfectly with my Fake Clod. 

When I plugged in a new ESC it worked well for a few second, then went crazy and started smoking. For a min or two it did work well, but it's now toast. Now when I plug it in it goes full on, even when the ESC is off. And it smokes.

Is there any chance a motor caused this issue, or would it just be a bad ESC? I was running with 7.2V and everything else pretty standard. I've run these very ESC with a very similar set up before. I've got a second ESC I could use, but don't want to fry it if the motor caused it. I wouldn't think so, as the motor is going hard (so unlikely to be shorting I would have thought) but I'm not sure.

Did I just get a dud?

Andrew

A motor can kill an ESC.  Given that this is a silver can, that does run, that's pretty unlikely.  Add to that, sounds like it is one of the China "ESC" black units, which are about as unreliable as any electronics I have ever come across.  Most likely the ESC was a dud.  I've bought a couple of cars with them in, both smoked within seconds of their first use, to be replaced with better units without further issue.

As above^^^

Seems like a bad ESC. A silver can is unlikely to kill an ESC

Many thanks for the replies, that does make sense. 

I tried another ESC in the car and it worked just fine, so it must have been a dud. I've emailed the seller to get a replacement. Of the cheap 320 ESCs I've bought 2/3 of them have been fine, so although they will break at some point I'm sure, for now it's not too bad.

I did originally order a 1060, but eBay have had to step in as it was never dispatched.

The nice thing is that if in the future upgrade to 1060s they'll seem really awesome in comparison.