kwkenuf

190mm vs 200mm body for TT-02

So I have a TT-02R kit coming my way at some point.  This will be my first on-road vehicle.  The R kit does not come with a body, which is great for me as honestly none of the official Tamiya bodies get me excited.  I have found a body I really like, but it is 200mm wide, not the 190mm that the Tamiya bodies are.  I am assuming this extra width is going to tuck the wheels/tires 5mm further in from the edge of the body.  Because I don't have experience in this arena...  Is this something that is easily overcome with different offset wheels?  Hex extensions?  Just curious as to what you guys say before I continue my search again.

Usually wheels with a bigger offset (6mm offset is quite common), it's hard to get a wide hex solution that really works because you run out of threaded axle (although I "think" a TT-02 might be compatible with the extra long axles that are sometimes included in a TT-01).

Also a bit of willingness to experiment helps!

If you share what body you want, you might find that another Tamiyaclub member has already fitted it.

+6 wheels will fill out the wheelwells, or you can use the long stub/wide hex if you don't mind dogbones. You could also use wide rear tires to get the rear width in spec. 

Wow... you guys really sent me in the right direction!  31mm wide wheels/tires sound like the ticket.  Looks like Tamiya has wide two piece wheels, from the Porsche, and I saw some five spoke ones also.  Cool!

I had ran across Protoform in my search.  Only the 71 Camaro body appealed to me, and even that seems to be washed out as far as details go.  If something happens to the Vette body I will try the Camaro.  I did not see the wheels they have, however.  Thank you for pointing those out.  I also found that HPI has some good options, some that I like better than PF.  I will not be racing this, I just always wanted an on-road car, and decided to do it up good for my first one!

Hi kwkenuf,

I have had the same questioning as yourself when trying to fit the wheels of my TT-02/Porsche 911 RSR correctly. It is not uncommon for Tamiya kits not to have a perfect wheel fitment out of the box :( Also the TT-02 (standard ones, not the type S's) are notoriously narrow.

What I have found so far:

- Wider and larger offsets wheels are one way to get a good fitment. If you want to use Tamiya wheels, they have 26mm one piece wheels with +2mm offset that will not get you very far, then there are some nice 2-piece wheels that may wobble a bit compared to one-piece but are available in 26mm (offset can be adjusted at +2 or +4) and 32mm onces (offset can be adjusted at +4 or +10!). Note that tire choices from Tamiya in 32mm wheels is very limited: so-called racing slicks (kit ones that only work in extreme hot weather) and super grip radials (not bad rubber at all).

- Wheels hexes from the TT-02 kit are made of soft plastic and not very usable, you should upgrade to lock type ones. With kit drive axles you can fit anything from 4mm hexes up to approximately 7mm hexes. Then you can use 8mm if you use low profile flanges nuts instead of the kit wheel nuts. The low profile nuts are used by drone people to secure their propellers.

- Tip: always shim you hexes as some will have massive lateral freeplay, sometimes almost 1mm. If place the shim on the outside (between the outboard bearing and the hex), this is free additional width for your chassis!

- More expensive: get longer drive axles, I am talking about the threaded part that receives the hex, not the dogbone. You can get Jazrider universals that are cheap and very slightly longer than the kit ones. You can also get TG10 long axles from Tamiya and this gets expensive as you need the matching steel dogbones (50883) and narrow steel differential outdrives. Figure almost 90$ for the entire car if you do that!

- Finally some people 3d print wider arms and then source longer drive axles etc... I haven't tried that route, seem expensive and complex to me at least.

Bottom line is wide and higher offset wheels are the easiest route. If you need more info I can measure some actual number on my TT-02 tonight.

I have just received a HPI E30 M3 shell that is 200mm for my TT01 build. I also ordered 3 different sets of wheels and tires to see which will work. The original wheels with the kit create a too narrow track, I placed some 6mm offset wheels on per the HPI website, and while I haven't cut out the new shell I did place the shell over the chassis with the new wheels on and it simply gobbles them up! So I ordered some 9mm offset wheels on ebay to see if they will work. I personally think that a 9mm offset on the  rear would be good and 6mm on the front to give some movement and wiggle room, once they all come in I can get you some pictures and show you what works and what doesn't.

By all means guys, post up all the pics you want!  All the information will both me, and people in the future.