ThunderDragonCy

Servo rated higher than esc bec - kills esc?

I have been through 4 1060 escs on my ff01 and it's annoying me now. I thought it was just dodgy 1060s, but i got wondering about other bits and i want to know if a high torque servo could fry an esc? I have one of those red 20kg servos in the car simply because i had it. I read the specs and they are 4.8/6.8v rated. The 1060 bec is only 6v. Could it be that my servo is trying to pull too much juice and frying the bec? 

It won't be the voltage, it will be the amperage. But every chance that a dodgy servo could damage the BEC circuit. Especially with those Chinese junk servos, you're taking a chance with them every time you buy one. Even if they aren't dodgy, they could just be hugely inefficient and have high power demands.

9 minutes ago, sosidge said:

It won't be the voltage, it will be the amperage. But every chance that a dodgy servo could damage the BEC circuit. Especially with those Chinese junk servos, you're taking a chance with them every time you buy one. Even if they aren't dodgy, they could just be hugely inefficient and have high power demands.

Thanks. Even though there seems to have been a rash of 1060 failures recently, i'll get a nicer, lower torque servo same as one of my other cars. 

For our devices at work I put circuit breakers around every piece of external equipment. It's the only way to allow world labs to try sourcing local components, or provide reliability for the replacement components we ship out. 

As best I can tell the RC world is the wild west of electronics. There should be current limiting in every component-component interface, but there rarely is. It's a race to build the cheapest solution. And there seems to be little reason for them to do otherwise, as long as components work most of the time they make a profit. When the components fail enough to generate bad publicity they just rebrand.

But to answer on point, I'd echo sosidge. A device can certainly allow more current through than the source circuit is expecting to deliver. To the viewpoint of the source circuit this is the equivalent of a short. If the source circuit has no current limiting then it can very easily be damaged.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I have been through 4 1060 escs on my ff01 and it's annoying me now. I thought it was just dodgy 1060s, but i got wondering about other bits and i want to know if a high torque servo could fry an esc? I have one of those red 20kg servos in the car simply because i had it. I read the specs and they are 4.8/6.8v rated. The 1060 bec is only 6v. Could it be that my servo is trying to pull too much juice and frying the bec? 

I've had a couple of those super cheap MG995 servos go and one took the ESC with it, the other didn't but caused a lot if issues with making the car go crazy without any input from the tx.

The ESC that died was a TBLE-02S which have issues with the BEC anyway, but the other Surpass 1060 copy survived fine.

So yes I have had a servo take out an ESC. I've found (so far so good) that going slightly better like SPT or JX servos have been absolutely fine though, you don't need to spend loads, especially when its not used that much or seriously

• Like 1

@Jonathon Gillham Thanks, i spotted you had had servo trouble on the other thread. I have gone for trackstar d99x servo. I have one in one of my racecars on your recommendation and it's been great, and they are currently under £20 and in stock at hobbyking uk so hopefully that will sort it. They are half the torque and maximum 6v so better suited to the esc on paper. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Jonathon Gillham Thanks, i spotted you had had servo trouble on the other thread. I have gone for trackstar d99x servo. I have one in one of my racecars on your recommendation and it's been great, and they are currently under £20 and in stock at hobbyking uk so hopefully that will sort it. They are half the torque and maximum 6v so better suited to the esc on paper. 

Those are great servos, i have a couple but use them in my onroad racers rather than bashers. I would have more in the other cars but when you have 16 cars it gets expensive!

• Like 1

to be fair,ive had few of those mg995...two went bad on me,,so opened them up and tested them...found out bad soldering was to blame causing arc`ing across to solder joint.so solder sucker to clean them and re-soldered them to my standard,,,,still have them 4-5years on in my trucks for steering and still working to this day(give or take couple weeks) even got 2 mg995 in my thunder tiger eb4 nitro