toyolien

Honest opinions on the Dancing Rider.

I keep looking at the Dancing Rider, and thinking it might be a fun little build. I already have an M-07 that I use most weekends, and thought it might be fun to take a Dancing Rider along also. 

Are they as fun as they look, or are the a frustrating drive. Any hop ups needed out of the box? Thanks very much,

I had the same thought. It seemed non-RC. Too non-serious.  

Well, it still isn't serious.  But it is fun.  I thought it would be frustrating to drive.  But it's quite smooth. 

One thing I would recommend is stronger neck spring on the front fork. It removed the wobbly feel entirely (except when backing up).  The other is a smooth and strong servo. I wouldn't use Futaba 148 or S3003 servo.  It has to lean the vehicle.  But most servos these days are much stronger than old Futabas.  And the usual treatment of red AW grease for the diff. 

Steering is surprisingly precise.  (or maybe my expectation was low)  I drive indoors, I haven't taken it out. It doesn't have great ground clearance.  But it's a good runner.  I didn't even install the faster motor I bought.  

It still is a toy-like thing. But I thought it was worth $80 I paid for it.  

I have the Dual Rider and it's pretty fun to drive.  I would definitely not spend any extra money on it though like bearings and such.  It's more of a Mini4WD car feel than a real RC.  I got the Tamiya AA battery tray for it and just run Eneloops. 

IMG_Mar272021at45732PM.thumb.jpg.6710531ef742b00836349c9260569e9c.jpgIMG_Mar272021at50236PM.thumb.jpg.e5dc7f50448fec0f389c82453e2b12d8.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll give it some more thought. I've got an SW-01 Lunchbox to build up for now, and may return to the idea of a Dancing Rider in the future. They do look funny though..

No problem.   It's like watching anime while driving the thing.   I guess it's kind of relaxing.  :D

They're a ton of fun in a small parking lot or driveway, and they're very easy to drive with a decent servo. Mine is stock with bearings and a Pro-Tek PTK-100T servo, and a 2S Lipo.

Not "high performance" at all, definitely not a toy, cute as a button, and super cheap. Fits in nicely with the comical lineup.

I have one on order..  Going to paint it drab and replace the driver with Willy.  But that is for another time, another site. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, toyolien said:

Not Tamiya though 🙄

🤫

On 3/27/2021 at 6:12 PM, Big Jon said:

They're a ton of fun in a small parking lot or driveway, and they're very easy to drive with a decent servo. Mine is stock with bearings and a Pro-Tek PTK-100T servo, and a 2S Lipo.

Not "high performance" at all, definitely not a toy, cute as a button, and super cheap. Fits in nicely with the comical lineup.

Pretty similar set up to mine . And it is a blast to driver. 
it’s also quiet enough it doesn’t bother my cat when I drive indoors. She is quizzical though 

I have an upgraded brushed motor but I’m waiting for a new motor mount so I can run a 27t standard pinion instead of the press on 26

• Like 1

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148862af47ade738ba8cfbb

Fun runner :D

quicrun 1625

sport tuned & pinion

wild boar semi slicks

Mini lipo (also fits swo1)

bearings obvs

do it :lol:

• Like 4

16 hours ago, J@mes said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148862af47ade738ba8cfbb

Fun runner :D

quicrun 1625

sport tuned & pinion

wild boar semi slicks

Mini lipo (also fits swo1)

bearings obvs

do it :lol:

Just how many do you have? 

I lost count at 60...

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, Juggular said:

I lost count at 60...

20 hours ago, Juggular said:

I lost count at 60...

That Jadlam offer was just too good to turn down 😆

• Haha 3

Just finished building mine and I really like it. Drove a couple before and they are pretty easy and a lot of fun to drive.

I'm a bit of of a big fan of these, along with the other tiny Tamiya's like the SW01 lunchbox. I have a couple and they are great for indoor running and outside on tarmac. Mine have a few basic hop-ups and they are great to drive and race against each other. 

Tamiya T3-01 Guide Tips Review (2).jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, qatmix said:

Tamiya T3-01 Guide Tips Review (2).jpg

That is a really cool paint job, love it! B)

• Like 1

I've been driving my X-Rider Flamingo the last few days with my M38 Willy-themed Billy onboard and it is just a blast to drive the thing.

Honestly for $150 (RTR) and maybe a day to paint the thing to your flavor (since the factory theme is real cheap looking and tacky), I'd get the Flamingo over the Dual Racer/Dancing Rider if you're not planning on buying both like me.  The chassis imho is far superior.. not that I'm bashing Tamiya.  I am a Tamiya fan.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I've been driving my X-Rider Flamingo the last few days with my M38 Willy-themed Billy onboard and it is just a blast to drive the thing.

Honestly for $150 (RTR) and maybe a day to paint the thing to your flavor (since the factory theme is real cheap looking and tacky), I'd get the Flamingo over the Dual Racer/Dancing Rider if you're not planning on buying both like me.  The chassis imho is far superior.. not that I'm bashing Tamiya.  I am a Tamiya fan.

Have to say I completely agree. The dual/dancing rider is unusual in a Tamiya kinda way but the Flamingo is a different league when it comes to driving. It has a really stiff metal chassis, fillable oil shocks and servo powered steering , rather than I tilt mechanism , and with its skid rail around the chassis two wheel antics are common if not obligatory 😀 What would be really interesting if someone were to produce a Morgan style 3 wheeler ie a single driven back wheel, as that layout is much more stable. Perhaps an SRB front end and an RC bike rear. 

• Like 1

My dual rider just arrived from Modelsport 

I just fancied a different kit to build and they are cheap and as someone else said - the dial rider is very anime and i LOVE AKIRA and kaneda’s bike 

can’t wait to build it but I have a backlog 

JJ

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 1:25 AM, Willy iine said:

Each to their own of course, but for me the whole point of the Dancing/Dual Rider is the leaning chassis. It's what gives it its charm, like the full size Carver. The Flamingo is just a car with a missing wheel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fuijo said:

The Flamingo is just a car with a missing wheel.

Oh is that what it is.. 

8 hours ago, Fuijo said:

The Flamingo is just a car with a missing wheel.

You’ve obviously not driven or does one ride a trike. I have both and even with a brushless/lipo set up it just didn’t do it for me. I admit never used it indoors on a really smooth surface and actually I think mine had too much power. I have taken the electrics out of it for now but may put something more stock back in it one day.

12 hours ago, Busdriver said:

You’ve obviously not driven or does one ride a trike. I have both and even with a brushless/lipo set up it just didn’t do it for me.

I think you may be misunderstanding me. Conventional trikes are inherently unstable, like robin reliants and the majority of other 3-wheeled vehicles including motorcycles with sidecars. That's what the roll-over bar is trying to prevent around the front wheel of the flamingo.

The carver leaning chassis design goes a long way to improve this by being more akin to a 2-wheeled vehicle.

The Flamingo looks very nice and scale with lots of details, but its dynamics are inferior to the T3-01.

I was a keen motorcyclist for many years and have ridden real motorcycle-trike conversions. I am not a fan.