Hippohunter

A quite specific which kit to buy thread

After 6 months of reading this forum I had to jump in! Discussions here have been so good! So I would like to get some advice on the classic question what kit would be good for me.

My background with rc is rather extensive, considering being a 24 year old student. (Yes I could have other things to do but the pandemic brought me here.) I have raced short course, 1/8th electric offroad and m-chassis minis. Biggest feat has been 3rd place in an A-main/5th overall in the Finnish short course series with a original high cg Slash. I left racing even before pandemic but last summer rc occupied my mind again. I bought a Lunchbox for the laughs and it has been a blast. Now looking for a bit more capable set of wheels. I could toss a leftower 8.5t motor in the Lunchie but I don´t have a licence for flying RC´s. 

Criteria for the kit itself:

• Preferably kit for the joy of building.
  • Accepts 2s hardcase (not the round ones) lipos, I have a pile of them.
  • If possible, some kind of retro vibe. For me early 2000´s kits bring memories from seeing rc´s way better than my Nikko at the time. Perhaps wave of rere´s comes when I´m at least 10 years older.
  • Budget for the kit itself about 250€. I have already esc´s, a radio and different 540 motors.
  • Available in Europe or with decent postage if ordered from outside Europe.

Kits that I have thought about, in random order because I can´t decide:

• Kyosho mad van, otherwise good but rtr, no joy of building.
  • TT02/Kyosho Fazer Mk2/Hpi Rs4, they have differences but a proper parking lot basher could be interesting and good looking. Can be drifter or a GT for a local asphalt track. (No rwd drifters, I find letting gyro do the driving very boring)
  • The Hornet. Cheap and full of nostalgia. Stock decals scream for dark metallic red paintjob. Isn´t very capable but would be always on the edge with a mild brushless motor.
  • Kyosho Tomahawk or Scorpion. Really cool, but after seeing the ridiculous amount of bump steer in a video it is difficult to justify the price stretching my budget. Probably would disappoint after a little running.
  • Something I havent thought about?

So new suggestions and thoughts about list above would be appreciated! Cars mentioned are very different compared to each other but perhaps you get the idea of my trouble.

Welcome to the T club. Literally nobody calls it that, I just came up with it lol.

Check out the XV01, it seems to tick all your boxes, so to speak. Great build too!

• Like 1

Like you say, the cars are so different.

I honestly think you should get the one that jumps out in front of your eyes and screams "fun". I think you know which one that is.

Only thing I would say about your list is that a lot of the older cars won't fit a square LiPo. I'm pretty sure the Hornet won't accept them.

How about a G6-01 pr indeed GF-01 ? 

They're a pleasure to build and run, and plenty of scope for customisation due to sharing parts with a number of other models.

For the weird factor I'd go for a G6-01 chassis. However my theory over the past 12 months is to just buy anything that catches my fancy, which is how I have 13 cars now.

I'd also suggest the XV-01. But for a classic fun build, a re-re Kyosho Ultima or Super Astute.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, c64orinoco said:

For the weird factor I'd go for a G6-01 chassis. However my theory over the past 12 months is to just buy anything that catches my fancy, which is how I have 13 cars now.

As much fun as it is to research and puzzle through options, I sometimes spend too long doing it and find the hours drifting away and the browser tabs accumulating at an alarming rate.

So I do kind of subscribe to the idea of going with what your heart tells you, and not getting too stuck in the details. Get something cool, build it with bearings, the rest you can fix later.

G6-01 is next for me, ordered yesterday after too much agonising!

• Like 1

"Kyosho Tomahawk or Scorpion. Really cool, but after seeing the ridiculous amount of bump steer in a video it is difficult to justify the price stretching my budget. Probably would disappoint after a little running."

I have a Tomahawk and don't have any bump steer issues.  Granted, the front suspension setup is unique and requires some attention to build properly but when you get it right it works a charm.  

48 minutes ago, Killajb said:

"Kyosho Tomahawk or Scorpion. Really cool, but after seeing the ridiculous amount of bump steer in a video it is difficult to justify the price stretching my budget. Probably would disappoint after a little running."

I have a Tomahawk and don't have any bump steer issues.  Granted, the front suspension setup is unique and requires some attention to build properly but when you get it right it works a charm.  

I was going to say, after watching various running vids of ReRe Tomahawk/Scorpions, I thought they ran great, certainly better than equivalent age (design) Tamiya 2wd buggies.  Bought a Tomahawk based on these observations, though as said above front suspension setup/measuring is critical to get best performance.

Thanks for plenty of  replies!

My further thoughts on replies and cars mentioned:

• XV-01 plenty of build and adjustability. Only practical concern is height, low slung bodies probably won´t fit. On the other hand needs a rally body. Would work on hard packed dirt.
  • The Hornet´s battery tray. Would normal size lipo fit with a low profile servo? Battery tray is angular design and there isn´t much difference in overall diemsions between lipos and nimhs.
  • G6-01 or GF-01. Funny looking but simply they don´t appeal to my eye. Fitting some other body would be possible but sourcing the parts without knowing Tamiya´s range seems difficult.
  • Ultima, really cool, looks wonderful. Certainly drives better than older re-re designs. Only negative thing is price. 
  • Super Astute, the white livery with bright colors is awesome! Price is on the high side but more importantly is there stock somewhere? Sold out in many places.
  • Kyosho Scorpion and Tomahawk, according to answers drive fine when built and set up correctly. I like the rather scale looks (Let´s not talk about designs of those basher companies that sue everything and everyone).

Brief summary: Hornet´s battery tray could be difficult. Cars mentioned excluding G6-01 and GF-01 seem fascinating. Deep down it´s about what kit excites me. Still processing which kit could be above others.

What about the new rere tamiya fire dragon from tamico.de or rcmart.com? It comes with a pre painted body i think would look better without the stickers and get some white wheels. just need bearings and a steel pinion or tl01 shafts 53301.

Are you looking for 2wd specifically? Otherwise I would say Top Force! Vintage vibe, great build and one of the best looking chassis, and great fun to drive. Plenty of mods and hopups available. Same goes for spare parts.

• Like 1

If you want second hand I'd recommend getting a Wild Dagger or alternative WR-01 chassis. Long discontinued but plenty still knocking around. Their a blast to run, double motors and OK to keep repaired/mod'd.

Off the shelf - I'd go for a Konghead chassis (Noticed a tread?). As I tend to drive on rough ground (dirt tracks and playing fields) rather than car parks etc.

If you have a local track or level ground then the TT-02 has plenty of upgrades and cheaper than the XV-01 chassis. I personally have a TT-01 with rally style mods to improve it's ground clearance etc.

Yes I prefer 2wd off road cars. My experience is that they´re more durable. Also driving is more interesting, limit of pushing hard is lower than with 4wd. From here we find another con with the Kyosho mad van. With brushless power it probably becomes an intercontinental missile like race kits that I´ve own. Nearby running places aren´t large enough for really high speeds. I have found new Top Forces on ebay but prices are through the roof. Tamiya releases a new batch of them after I´ve finally made my choice and built something else. So this far 2wd buggy or touring chassis are main candidates. Let´s be a bit realistic, now I´m thinking about where to begin. Later on it escalates and I have a buggy, drifter, truggy, Tyrrel 6-wheeler, Heavy dump truck and a Clod... at least.

• Like 1

1. Blackfoot

2. Monster beetle

I love the orv chassis cars. They are strong, rigid and very fun to build. The Blackfoot was my first hobby grade rc 30 years ago...

2Wd offroader? Retro vibe? WT01 Blackfoot !!!

Oh and u can make it 4wd too if u want

On 3/30/2021 at 8:43 AM, Hippohunter said:

Yes I prefer 2wd off road cars. My experience is that they´re more durable. Also driving is more interesting, limit of pushing hard is lower than with 4wd. From here we find another con with the Kyosho mad van. With brushless power it probably becomes an intercontinental missile like race kits that I´ve own. Nearby running places aren´t large enough for really high speeds. I have found new Top Forces on ebay but prices are through the roof. Tamiya releases a new batch of them after I´ve finally made my choice and built something else. So this far 2wd buggy or touring chassis are main candidates. Let´s be a bit realistic, now I´m thinking about where to begin. Later on it escalates and I have a buggy, drifter, truggy, Tyrrel 6-wheeler, Heavy dump truck and a Clod... at least.

Where are you based? The Super Astute is available here in NZ and also TamiyaUSA says its in stock.

From your list i would say Super Astute. The build is great, it performs well and looks brilliant on the shelf next to a Top Force. The only downside is my son and his friends all think they are the best 2 cars so guess whats waiting on parts right now.

Its a shame the TA08 Pro isn't quite here yet, that looks interesting, although could be expensive, looks like it could be 50% more than the TA07 Pro. The TA07 and TB05 are both interesting chassis with their multiple motor positions and a huge amount of upgrades...although maybe best avoided, my TA07 Pro is almost an MS with the pricetag to match (unless my wife asks, then its just how it came and that box of spares that basically another car came with it)

• Like 1

It looks like Wt-01 isn´t available anywhere so it´s out of consideration.

I´m based in Finland, therefore looking for a kit available in Europe. I guess in some reply I mixed Top Force and Super Astute. Anyway availability is difficult.

TA0x and TB0x seem interesting, more to build than any tub platform (TT-02 and others) and proper suspension to adjust.

Yesterday youtube recommended me Shortcourseworld´s video on Kyosho Tomahawk. I´ll pass those fancy rere´s, I could never drive them without worrying about breaking something. I don´t mean Kevin Talbot style foolishness, even full throttle on smooth surface with a Fabergé egg on wheels would be terrifying.

2 hours ago, Hippohunter said:

It looks like Wt-01 isn´t available anywhere so it´s out of consideration.

I´m based in Finland, therefore looking for a kit available in Europe. I guess in some reply I mixed Top Force and Super Astute. Anyway availability is difficult.

TA0x and TB0x seem interesting, more to build than any tub platform (TT-02 and others) and proper suspension to adjust.

Yesterday youtube recommended me Shortcourseworld´s video on Kyosho Tomahawk. I´ll pass those fancy rere´s, I could never drive them without worrying about breaking something. I don´t mean Kevin Talbot style foolishness, even full throttle on smooth surface with a Fabergé egg on wheels would be terrifying.

I can only compare the TA07 with the TT02 and the TA is miles ahead in every respect.

You'd be surprised by those Tomahawks. A lot of clubs around here run a Tomahawk class and they are surprisingly durable. One is even on an outdoor dirt track thats really for 8th scale and they survive fine, admittedly just runnijg silvercans.

You could post a wanted ad on here, there could be some members with a lot of Super Astute kits...

On 3/30/2021 at 4:50 AM, Boomstick said:

1. Blackfoot

2. Monster beetle

I love the orv chassis cars. They are strong, rigid and very fun to build. The Blackfoot was my first hobby grade rc 30 years ago...

Some time and plenty off chocolate eggs later my next kit has to be The Frog! It takes my existing lipos and has apparently plenty of building for a 2wd chassis. What kind of motor would be suitable? Hot brushed or mild brushless (<10.5t)? 

4 hours ago, Hippohunter said:

Some time and plenty off chocolate eggs later my next kit has to be The Frog! It takes my existing lipos and has apparently plenty of building for a 2wd chassis. What kind of motor would be suitable? Hot brushed or mild brushless (<10.5t)? 

I'm not sure how durable the gearboxes are on the re release, but if you're wanting to run a 10.5t (and why wouldn't you!😁)  ,I'm thinking an 'MIP diff' needs to be a consideration, to help hold things together. 

Personally, I think the ,Super Astute, would be a much better car to try and hunt down,  but there lies the issue with that chassis, finding one (a quick Google, shows they have them for sale in America...🤔

On 4/7/2021 at 5:51 AM, Hippohunter said:

You can take a shot at my record...(if you're willing to dump $2k into a Blackfoot)

BTW, I've destroyed 2 mip diffs trying to beat that run along with 5 sets of aluminum beadlocks, 4 sets of trailing arms, 3 chassis, 3 sets of body mounts, 5 bumper braces and numerous other parts I can't even remember right now. Don't tell the wife how much I've spent so far....

Here's where I broke a brand new chassis on the third run, 62.5MPH crash...

That was supposed to be the last attempt...

$1000 ago...

I. Will. Hit. 70MPH.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boomstick said:

You can take a shot at my record...(if you're willing to dump $2k into a Blackfoot)

BTW, I've destroyed 2 mip diffs trying to beat that run along with 5 sets of aluminum beadlocks, 4 sets of trailing arms, 3 chassis, 3 sets of body mounts, 5 bumper braces and numerous other parts I can't even remember right now. Don't tell the wife how much I've spent so far....

Here's where I broke a brand new chassis on the third run, 62.5MPH crash...

That was supposed to be the last attempt...

$1000 ago...

I. Will. Hit. 70MPH.

Ouch!