Darren G

Dark Impact Diff issue

Hi all, 

I have a dark impact, running brushless and 3S Lipo, having rear diff issues! Any hot hints, I bought new but prebuilt and the diff wasn’t set up right so replaced it after 2 outings.  I since put a new one in but seems like it’s gone again, I’ve locked it now so I can use the car but handling not great.  Any hints / upgrades? I’m now going to order front diff plates as they are metal instead of the plastic ones they put in rear (God knows why), seen the F201 diff can be modified, is this worth trying? It seems like balls welded into the plastic, I’m at wits end, do I just bye bullet and go back to brushed standard on 7.2Nimh ? If anyone has had same issues and could recommend part numbers, a metal gear instead of plastic would be lovely!,

Has it got the hopup slipper clutch fitted?

Its also worth building the rear diff outdrives with metal ones from a front diff to replace the standard kit plastic ones.

Thanks for reply, it’s the new dark impact, I don’t believe it has clutch fitted.  I did see the bit about fitting front plates into the rear, I’m hoping that might help.

Ok, its probably worth trying the slipper clutch. It came as standard on the DF03-MS and can be easily fitted to the standard dark impact and will take some of the strain off of the diff. Its about 40 quid though.

The slipper clutch will definitely help. It should be set to slip instead of the diff.

However ball diffs are temperamental at the best of times. I dread to think what 3s would do, even if everything was set up perfectly :o.

Rear diff mods , plus a slipper if running 3s.

Setting the slipper, so it slips just before the diff does , more trial and error (listening for a bark off the diff, or a kind of ,chirp of the slipper)

If you're running a lower turn motor on 3s, you'll maybe either, check the main shaft gear periodically and check for wear. Or swap the main shaft gear for a hardened one (Although, harder to come by now.) The link to my thread is in the rear diff thread above.

I've just taken delivery of a pair of one piece front metal outdrives ,plus a set of schumacher tungsten carbide balls, and plan on doing a vid on YouTube, as it's THE most asked question / upgrade on these cars.

• Like 1

I'd definitely watch that! Ran mine for the first time yesterday and a wheel came off and lost a nice shiny blue wheel nut!

Don't think my slipper is slipping so probably need to loosen that off a touch.

• Haha 1

A video about setting up the slipper: yes please.

What I noticed on my DF03 Avante Mk2 is that all four outdrives are metal. Did the specifications of the kit changed during production?

1 hour ago, No Slack said:

A vidoe about setting up the slipper: yes please

I was going to do the diff mod first, but guess I could have a look at doing a slipper one,  although I melted my last spur ,testing the slipper, so.....🙄

1 hour ago, No Slack said:

What a noticed on my DF03 Avante Mk2 is that all four outdrives are metal. Did the specifications of the kit changed during production?

Not that I know of!

You'll only be able to tell, if you have the diff in bits, the plastic part is MK3, and wobbles so much, that the MK6 diff plate needs glued on!! 

2018-12-29_11-42-09

Where the fronts, are one solid piece of metal, and the diff plate doesn't need glued.

2018-12-29_11-43-55

All i can think of was the intention that when it had inevitably destroyed itself you would only need to replace the diff plates and the two plastic carriers and not the outdrives.

However tamiya parts supply typically means that those plastic bits wouldnt be available at all or you have to buy a 30 quid sprue or bag of unecessary parts to get 50 pences worth of the bits that wear out that you actually need. 

• Haha 1