Sign in to follow this  
Smokeylocc420

What components die first on ESCs??

Is it the FETs? This vintage esc has full forward throttle. It does not have either brake or reverse. I opened it up, thinking that the culprit would be easily identified by a scorch/burn, but nothing appears out of the ordinary...I assumed that three of the FETs all together are forward, while the two closest together on the left would be brake, the one by itself on the right is reverse. I could be wrong. Any input from the vintage heads? Heres a pic...The brain board is removed fyi...

I have three new FETs waiting as soon as I find the bad. One way is to probe for juice on the good ones, but I see both positive voltage and neg at the motor wires, positve 7.4v on full throttle, neg around 1.5v on reverse, so I know it's gotta be one or more bad FETs...

Thanks

IMG_2117.JPG

What ESC is that? I've had a couple of microprocessors fail on the TEU101BKs, usually due to heat and/or vibration, literally tearing the feet off of them. Sometimes reflowing them worked, other times I decided that they were mediocre ESCs to begin with and snipped the wires off before sending them to the great graveyard beyond. (Read: the old PCB-pile at work)

I find the electrics die first, then the control, and then, with a wall big enough, the speed.

If it's not the microprocessor, it's probably the FETs. In other electrical applications (audio equipment) FETs and capacitors are usually the first things to go. FETs die if they're shorted at high voltage/amperage, and caps can blow for any reason including the changing of the seasons.

I also often find that FETs and caps subjected to similar loads die at similar times, so if one in a bank has gone, I usually replace them all as the others are most likely on their last legs too.

Thank you all for pitching in! It means a lot to me!

I ordered some solder removing wick and flux pen to possibly operate.

So on another note, the case slots where the cooling fins protrude out from (in order to mount the sinks to the fins) one was kinda melted. I wonder if that one FET blew....it's the one by itself. (reverse or brake)?

Once again, fingers crossed it's not the microprocessor.:ph34r:

So tonight, I touched one of the new mosfets to the solder tabs on the suspect single mosfet tab, and I was able to make the motor go in reverse.

• Like 1

I've only had one brushed ESC fail that wasn't a total meltdown, and it was a brake FET on a Tekin 600 BITD.  Blew a little hole in the side of it. Forward worked normally; no brakes. I was able to get a few more races in while I scratched up enough money for a new ESC, although 1/12 is tough with no brakes!

It seems like capacitors fail with some regularity in modern stuff, and I'm guessing that the total meltdowns are failed FETs. Capacitors do have a limited lifespan, though, and if you're confident replacing FETs, you might want to consider replacing the caps, too.

On 4/6/2021 at 5:26 PM, Big Jon said:

I've only had one brushed ESC fail that wasn't a total meltdown, and it was a brake FET on a Tekin 600 BITD.  Blew a little hole in the side of it. Forward worked normally; no brakes. I was able to get a few more races in while I scratched up enough money for a new ESC, although 1/12 is tough with no brakes!

It seems like capacitors fail with some regularity in modern stuff, and I'm guessing that the total meltdowns are failed FETs. Capacitors do have a limited lifespan, though, and if you're confident replacing FETs, you might want to consider replacing the caps, too.

I couldn't find any caps, but thank you for the mentioning of it.